Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Been getting the dreaded " The disc can't be burned, because the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media. "

Were there any fixes for this - or is it new drive time?

Has anyone got the link that shows how to disassemble a MBP 2.4 ?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
There have been a few times that different brand of media have caused this error so would be worth trying at least one other brand to troubleshoot, but in my experience the "unable to calibrate" issues have indicated a hardware failure of the drive itself.:(

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Cheers - I've tried a few different DVD brands - no joy. Although it will burn to CD.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
I got the same error and tried different brands as well. From what I can remember you have to set a maximum speed other than "maximum possible" or what it's called.

gpeden

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Recently I started to make a bunch of coasters with a new bundle of DVD's before I dug out my CD/DVD cleaning disk, which made it right. Worth a try....

Cheers!

Glen

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
I got that error, as well as having difficulty reading audio CDs. Had my drive replaced (was still under warranty). If you're in warranty, getting it replaced is a safe option.

AFAIK those disc drive cleaners are very dangerous for slot-loading drives, they always get stuck.

If it dies completely, out of warranty... well, external drives aren't that expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.