PDA

View Full Version : CBS Brings TV.com Content to iPhone

MacRumors
Feb 27, 2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/27/cbs-brings-tv-com-content-to-iphone/)

CBS has released TV.com [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305094711&mt=8)], a new free iPhone application providing access to streaming content from the CBS family of networks.

While full episode content is currently limited to older series such as "Beverly Hills 90210", "MacGuyver", and "Star Trek: The Original Series", more limited clips are available from a variety of CBS-owned 'channels', including CBS Entertainment, The CW, Showtime, CNET TV, CBS Sports, GameSpot, CBS News, ET (Entertainment Tonight), CBS Radio, The Insider, and Chow.

Saul Hansell of The New York Times tested TV.com's ability to stream over cellular networks (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/cbs-beams-star-trek-episodes-to-iphones/) in a real-world setting and was pleased with the results.

But the TV.com application appears to be the first with a lot of mainstream network content that can gain access to full episodes over both the cellular network and Wi-Fi. My test of watching Spock confront a strange cube-like object in space was perfectly acceptable in quality while I was riding on the bus in New Jersey.

Article Link: CBS Brings TV.com Content to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/27/cbs-brings-tv-com-content-to-iphone/)

branjosef
Feb 27, 2009, 08:14 AM
Awesome. I am all for streaming tv to the iphone. That would only make the iphone experience better...and the app is offered for free, even better. Take a cue from CBS, AOL free apps are better. :rolleyes:

pilotError
Feb 27, 2009, 08:23 AM
This is great news, hopefully NBC and ABC will follow. Even if they only have new shows up for a week after it has aired.

j5045096
Feb 27, 2009, 08:26 AM
I just downloaded and installed this on my iPhone and tried to watch NCIS but it ultimately sent me to you tube and the episode was broken into 8 minute segments. DELETED.

justflie
Feb 27, 2009, 08:41 AM
You had me at, "Star Trek." Downloading now :p

SimonJ
Feb 27, 2009, 09:11 AM
Not in my App Store... *sigh*

Why are all the good apps only available in the US? Licensing problems?

Niiro13
Feb 27, 2009, 09:19 AM
Hopefully Disney (get over it >_<) will come out as well as USA Network.

CBS is fun too, though :).

DavidLeblond
Feb 27, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hulu on the iPhone would be all I need.

Darrin Bell
Feb 27, 2009, 09:24 AM
I know I might be alone in this, but I think it's awful news that they're releasing this free of charge (unless it's ad supported). Original content providers from cartoonists to actors to journalists are dropping like flies because we're too used to getting our content for free. Actors in SAG are currently trying to strike, not because they're greedy (most are dirt poor -- the rich ones, like Tom Hanks and George Clooney, are opposing the strike; "coincidentally," they have their own production companies and heavily invest in the studios). They're trying to strike because producers and studios are trying to deny them any royalties from digitally transmitted content (along with lunch breaks and other "luxuries" every other worker in America probably considers basic rights).

We might be in a Depression sometime soon. They should be charging 99 cents for this, at least, and paying royalties to the content providers. I'd much rather pay a small fee for content-streaming apps like this than contribute to this "content is free" mentality that's driving several different industries into the ground.

jayducharme
Feb 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
You had me at, "Star Trek." Downloading now :p

Same here. The video doesn't appear to stream from YouTube. But each episode is broken up into small pieces, and they aren't well divided. Why not just stop each section at the commercial breaks? Instead, scenes fade out in the middle of dialogue. The video stream is a bit choppy. And the Favorites and My Feed functions don't seem to be working, which is a pity because I have to keep searching for the shows I want instead of just having them in a queue.

The episodes of Star Trek do seem to be the originals, though (not the "special editions" with new effects), so that's a plus. And I agree that it's great to be able to stream TV (even old shows) to my phone.

MacTheSpoon
Feb 27, 2009, 10:20 AM
Oh man, Star Trek, I am all over this!!

bytethese
Feb 27, 2009, 10:33 AM
Star Trek AND Macguyver? The geek hairs on the back of my neck just stood up...

manhattanboy
Feb 27, 2009, 11:12 AM
God finally!!
How long have we been waiting to stream TV over 3G!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somewhat happy today about the iPhone, finally.:D

SFStateStudent
Feb 27, 2009, 11:12 AM
Survivor and Amazing Race = Awesome! I missed both this past week; SHAMWOW... lol:p

wolfshades
Feb 27, 2009, 11:39 AM
I know I might be alone in this, but I think it's awful news that they're releasing this free of charge (unless it's ad supported). Original content providers from cartoonists to actors to journalists are dropping like flies because we're too used to getting our content for free. Actors in SAG are currently trying to strike, not because they're greedy (most are dirt poor -- the rich ones, like Tom Hanks and George Clooney, are opposing the strike; "coincidentally," they have their own production companies and heavily invest in the studios). They're trying to strike because producers and studios are trying to deny them any royalties from digitally transmitted content (along with lunch breaks and other "luxuries" every other worker in America probably considers basic rights).

We might be in a Depression sometime soon. They should be charging 99 cents for this, at least, and paying royalties to the content providers. I'd much rather pay a small fee for content-streaming apps like this than contribute to this "content is free" mentality that's driving several different industries into the ground.

Unfortunately you'll find you're in a minority Darrin. Your argument is logical and, being in the acting business myself at times, I know your comment about the "wealth" of actors in general is dead-on.

That said, you obviously know that our society revolves around getting the most value for the least cost, so not many are going to be convinced that charging for this is a good idea. And not wanting to be hypocritical here, I can't recall ever deciding to buy a higher-cost sofa (for example) over a cheaper one with the same quality because the former one was built by someone in this country who needed the work.

I don't have an answer. Wish I did.

The Phazer
Feb 27, 2009, 11:49 AM
I know I might be alone in this, but I think it's awful news that they're releasing this free of charge (unless it's ad supported).

It is ad supported.

And US only, and will stay that way for the forseeable future.

Phazer

guzhogi
Feb 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately you'll find you're in a minority Darrin. Your argument is logical and, being in the acting business myself at times, I know your comment about the "wealth" of actors in general is dead-on.

That said, you obviously know that our society revolves around getting the most value for the least cost, so not many are going to be convinced that charging for this is a good idea. And not wanting to be hypocritical here, I can't recall ever deciding to buy a higher-cost sofa (for example) over a cheaper one with the same quality because the former one was built by someone in this country who needed the work.

I agree with both of you. Most people in show biz are paid lousy (I have a few friends in the biz) and they're not paid well.

As for your second point, also very true. People today want everything for nothing. And they'd be willing to pay more for stuff that's interesting rather than what's necessary. Example: people would probably rather Pay $20 to see a basketball game than see a sanitation worker do his job. If only people would think of it this way: would they rather go without a basketball game for 30 days or go without sanitation? Hmm… Puts things into perspective, huh? While people WILL pay for their basic necessities, and maybe forgo something fun, people don't want to pay for boring things.

Hawkeye411
Feb 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
Just tried it here in Canada. Got a message that says "We apologize but video content viewing is available only within the United States."
:(

bbydon
Feb 27, 2009, 02:45 PM

Not only is it ad supported but tv.com is owned by CBS. They are posting these shows and I'm sure all the unions out there will make sure they get there fair share of the profits. I don't think you need to worry.

manhattanboy
Feb 27, 2009, 03:10 PM

Been said a BAZILLION times...everyone agrees except for the one poster above.

Peace
Feb 27, 2009, 07:43 PM
Useless app. There's no full length TV shows. Only 1-2 minute clips.

macfan881
Feb 27, 2009, 08:27 PM
agreed this app is lame and falsey advertises dont bother waisting time downloading it.:(

Watabou
Feb 27, 2009, 08:33 PM
Stream over 3G? I'm sold.

This is really good news.

Doctor Q
Feb 28, 2009, 02:24 AM
You can use the search tool to find video clips of CBS shows (videos from YouTube). I used that method to find The Who playing on the Smothers Brothers show, when Pete Townshend's suffered hearing loss from an exploding drum.

loco7
Feb 28, 2009, 03:56 AM
Sadly, this service is not vailable in Europe.
The only way to watch TV content is still online streaming TV sites such as:

Free TV (http://www.freetv.tv)

sonnyjames
Feb 28, 2009, 06:31 AM
Shows on CBS are all closed captioned and yet on CBS' iPhone app, none of the shows are closed captioned. How are the deaf and those with hearing loss supposed to enjoy the show? C'mon CBS!

w00tini
Feb 28, 2009, 01:52 PM
another app with great potential that is destroyed by licensing/royalty/advertising issues with the content provider. IF you can find a whole show, it is broken up into 5-6 eight minute segments.

as was mentioned earlier in this thread, call me when hulu gets an app out. i have full faith they will do it right.

mkrishnan
Feb 28, 2009, 01:56 PM
Not in my App Store... *sigh*

Why are all the good apps only available in the US? Licensing problems?

Sadly, this service is not vailable in Europe.
The only way to watch TV content is still online streaming TV sites such as:

Free TV (http://www.freetv.tv)

It's American television... the situation isn't just unique to the US... Most of BBC's online iPlayer content (from the UK) is likewise unavailable in the US.... Most television broadcasters only have domestic rights to the products they buy from television production houses.

EDIT: I'm excited about them adding the app, but it's somewhat difficult to navigate/understand. How do I tell what is a full show and what is a clip?

EDIT2: Oh, I guess it's just that there are really hardly any full episodes on it.... Aside from the lack of content, it looks nice. If I could watch a show I liked, like Lost or Heroes or House or Battlestar... with an app like this, or even a show I watch occasionally like CSI, with current episodes, that would be pretty great.

Darthzilla
Feb 28, 2009, 02:37 PM
another app with great potential that is destroyed by licensing/royalty/advertising issues with the content provider. IF you can find a whole show, it is broken up into 5-6 eight minute segments.

as was mentioned earlier in this thread, call me when hulu gets an app out. i have full faith they will do it right.

sorry, but this just makes me belive even more just how spoiled a culture we are.

You have a phone that lets you watch a TV show on it. But OMG its broken into chunks.....Next you'll be complaining your jetpack only goes 35 miles and hour....

manhattanboy
Feb 28, 2009, 02:57 PM
sorry, but this just makes me belive even more just how spoiled a culture we are.

You have a phone that lets you watch a TV show on it. But OMG its broken into chunks.....Next you'll be complaining your jetpack only goes 35 miles and hour....

I need a jet pack that goes at least 10x that if its going to replace an airplane.:p

But anyway, all a lot of people want is to be able to watch any TV show or movie anywhere with an amazingly fast connection and without having to pay a lot.

Is that too much to ask???

Darthzilla
Feb 28, 2009, 04:37 PM
I need a jet pack that goes at least 10x that if its going to replace an airplane.:p

But anyway, all a lot of people want is to be able to watch any TV show or movie anywhere with an amazingly fast connection and without having to pay a lot.

Is that too much to ask???

totally.

It will happen, but until then we will have to deal with teh pitiful exsistance of a phone that can only, check e-mail, go oinline, play video games, draw, watch movies, listen to music, GPS your whereabouts, make music, etc etc etc etc etc.

God willing we will be able to get through things intil theres perefct streaming and wi fi access all over this great country....until then...we must slog on through ....

mobile23
Mar 1, 2009, 02:52 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/mobile23/tv1.png
It didn't work last night here in Canada. But I tried again tonight. It works now in Canada :D

Doctor Q
Mar 1, 2009, 08:38 PM
another app with great potential that is destroyed by licensing/royalty/advertising issues with the content provider. IF you can find a whole show, it is broken up into 5-6 eight minute segments.Are you sure this is done for one or more of those reasons, and not for some technical reason?

robdam1001
Mar 1, 2009, 10:01 PM
useless without current, FULL LENGTH episodes.

scirica
Mar 2, 2009, 09:26 AM
I know this has been said a BIZZILION times as well, but Slingplayer for the iPhone is just around the corner and then we will have a viable option for watching live and recorded streaming tv over our beloved devices. It's March, and with any luck at all we'll be watching tv on our phones by the end of the month.

branjosef
Mar 2, 2009, 04:26 PM
Bring on slingplayer!!!!! Better yet, I think it would be cool if we could just get an app that duplicated windows mobile 5...because that would make no sense at all.

mkrishnan
Mar 2, 2009, 04:35 PM
Are you sure this is done for one or more of those reasons, and not for some technical reason?

It would seem like the fact that Youtube can show long videos would argue for this. I don't mind multiple short segments (actually I would prefer them) as long as they automatically start playing in sequence without having to do anything in between segments.

Similarly, when I got the BSG webisode off iTunes, it came as 10 segments (as it was on the web). The iPhone plays them individually and you have to go back to the menu and pick the next one manually -- unless I'm missing a setting to change that. Kind of a pain....

Also similarly, the excellent online streaming (not iPhone) in high definition for Lost is mildly annoying in that it not only has the same commercial over and over again in between segments (Heroes and House streamed are similar -- it's ridiculous how many times I've seen a couple of these commercials now), but it breaks from full-screen (I think Heroes at least is not like this) and you have to click a button to continue watching -- much more intrusive than having a full-screen inlined ad for 30-40 seconds with the show continuing automatically...

fr33 loader
Mar 2, 2009, 04:54 PM

Because it could be better. There won't be improvement in this world if we just take everything as they are. I'll pass on the jetpack!:D

Nicolecat
Mar 5, 2009, 02:25 PM

I would be ALL for a hulu app.
I've been an addict since day one.

It's true...it turns your brain to Mushy-mush. :)

gvegastiger
Mar 6, 2009, 07:49 AM
"Shows on CBS are all closed captioned and yet on CBS' iPhone app, none of the shows are closed captioned. How are the deaf and those with hearing loss supposed to enjoy the show? C'mon CBS!"

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but how exactly does a deaf person use an iPhone?

Nicolecat
Mar 6, 2009, 12:53 PM
"Shows on CBS are all closed captioned and yet on CBS' iPhone app, none of the shows are closed captioned. How are the deaf and those with hearing loss supposed to enjoy the show? C'mon CBS!"

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but how exactly does a deaf person use an iPhone?

How exactly does a deaf person use a cell phone aside from texting and email?

diemos
Mar 6, 2009, 01:01 PM
Are there really a lot of full episodes or just clips of shows?