PDA

View Full Version : Some undocumented tricks for Mac OS X

MacBytes
Mar 29, 2004, 06:12 AM
Category: Tips and How To\'s
Link: Some undocumented tricks for Mac OS X (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040329071228)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

danbalsh
Mar 29, 2004, 07:02 AM
Poof, you're gone: It is easy to drag any item to the dock. You simply drag it over to the dock and drop it there. But how do you get rid of a dock item you no longer want? Just drag it off.

Wow, thanks for that thats SO cool I never knew you could do that! :rolleyes:

Longey Nowze
Mar 29, 2004, 07:08 AM
I thought it was going to show some easter eggs or something! undocumented features?! that is lame total waste of time IMO.

Thank you
MaT

noverflow
Mar 29, 2004, 08:43 AM
Anyone else imagine that the guy had an infomercial voice? Really high pitch and fast speaking. Like the guy with the question-marks all over him, talking about free government money.

Im positive that all of these features are well documented an any os x book.

Trowaman
Mar 29, 2004, 08:46 AM
well, class what did we learn today?

. . . oh yeah, nothing. New that stuff. ;) :o

blufire
Mar 29, 2004, 09:35 AM
Wow. That's pretty sad. But hey, maybe a Windows user has learned something from it ;) Oh, and the Safari tabs in the background.. you just have to uncheck "select new tabs as they are created" and then cmd-click will get them in the back.. why would he tell people to use the roundabout preference + cmd-shift method? I'm confused. If you want a much more in-depth and educational "OS X hidden tricks" article, get this month's MacAddict... it's got some excellent things in there that I'm sure not everyone knows. and check out today's engrish.com! ha

macridah
Mar 29, 2004, 09:58 AM
didn't learn a thing myself either. I know where he got most of his info: from the .Mac panther online tutorial. I felt it was basic myself [.Mac tutorial].

If you want some real hidden features. The latest issue of Macaddict has 33 "di d you know" features. Again, not all were totally new, but some were pretty good.

mrsebastian
Mar 29, 2004, 11:35 AM
that was completely pointless :confused: must have had a tight deadline with no article ready, so he had to come up with something for his pc using editor (who wouldn't know the difference).

Awimoway
Mar 29, 2004, 12:00 PM
I wish I could get paid to state the obvious...

nagromme
Mar 29, 2004, 12:56 PM
Like Panther's hidden Graphing Calculator:

http://www.macworld.com/2004/03/features/panthersecretsdeclassified/

Just so your trip here wasn't wasted :)

(To be fair, there are a lot of non-techie Mac users out there. They may not be on these forums in large numbers, but they exist--and many of them don't know HALF of the stuff in the San Diego article. So for the right audience, it wasn't truly a waste.)

xhost_plus
Mar 29, 2004, 01:05 PM
I thought it was going to show some easter eggs or something! undocumented features?! that is lame total waste of time IMO.
I agree.

Knew most of them already. Plus isn't iTunes and iPhoto sharing DOCUMENTED??

wowser
Mar 29, 2004, 01:07 PM
I'm a dumb Windows switcher - i figured all these out after a week of switching :(

wordmunger
Mar 29, 2004, 01:10 PM
Like Panther's hidden Graphing Calculator:

http://www.macworld.com/2004/03/features/panthersecretsdeclassified/

Just so your trip here wasn't wasted :)

I noticed that article too--good stuff!

Ironic that both articles appeared at about the same time. The San Diego author could have saved a bunch of time just by linking to MacWorld

Krizoitz
Mar 29, 2004, 04:32 PM
well, class what did we learn today?

. . . oh yeah, nothing. New that stuff. ;) :o

you want to talk about learning nothing...I just spent an hour in my senior level college math course learning about the absolute value function...so sad

bennetsaysargh
Mar 29, 2004, 04:35 PM
well, i never knew about the text dropping t the desktop, but i never needed it before. everything else i knew.

punter
Mar 29, 2004, 06:37 PM
iphoto sharing undocumented? really?

I thought the whole article was a waste of time until it told me how to sleep using command option eject. Yay!

MrMacMan
Mar 29, 2004, 07:06 PM
This is more like
'The Most Documented Features on Panther! '

Who is this guy trying to kid?

I didn't learn anything, at all.

isus
Mar 29, 2004, 09:25 PM
if it's on a website, doesn't that make it 'documented' now? so it's not undocumented... hmm...

LeedaBird1
Apr 4, 2004, 05:23 PM
in the go menu, select 'go to folder...'
type '/usr/share/emacs'
click the folder with the numbers (every mac has different #s)
click the folder called 'ect'
there are a bunch of funny documents... try cookies & jokes
i got that from the Mac Addict magasine. its kinda funny :D :D :D

bennetsaysargh
Apr 4, 2004, 06:08 PM
lol.
Elvis
Masterminds
All
Computer
Software

the true meaning of emacs :p