PDA

View Full Version : New PowerBooks this Week?

Pages : 1 [2]

thatwendigo
Apr 6, 2004, 04:13 AM
Well I've heard before that they call people in advance if they are going to update. Someone said they call and ask what of the options you want, rebate, or newer version. And if that were teh case, they wouldn't send the tracking information to FedEx, wouldn't they call and ask me tomorrow morning?

Quick, send it back before they can update the line and screw you! Buy an AMD, because the G4 is slow, outdated, and can't compete in any market, regardless of any facts that someone might bring up. The G5s are coming! The G5s are coming!

Spread the word, the G5s are going to be here today, because someone who's held out forever is going to be receiving their PowerBook!

:rolleyes:

Tomaz
Apr 6, 2004, 05:17 AM
Can't be today, cause I didn't break yet ! But I might if there are no PB updates today, so that would mean new PBs next week! :D

Stoffel
Apr 6, 2004, 05:33 AM
Hm. The pb is still the best selling computer in the apple store. Why should they update it? Anyone who thinks the next update will not be before MWDC in June?

Tomaz
Apr 6, 2004, 06:14 AM
...Anyone who thinks the next update will not be before MWDC in June?

If thats true, then I will buy a PB tomorrow! Only problem, how do we know they won't update till then? Why can't they release something like a roadmap for the next few months ??!! :(

Zaty
Apr 6, 2004, 06:26 AM
If thats true, then I will buy a PB tomorrow! Only problem, how do we know they won't update till then? Why can't they release something like a roadmap for the next few months ??!! :(

If you can wait, wait untill April 27, if we don't see new PB until then, Apple most probably won't release them before WWDC.

Tomaz
Apr 6, 2004, 07:19 AM
What is April 27th ? :confused:

thatwendigo
Apr 6, 2004, 08:28 AM
Why can't they release something like a roadmap for the next few months ??!! :(

Why not? I'd say that it's because Apple knows better than to poison their sales with the sort of release schedule that you're talking about. In a higher volume company, where machines are bought for even more broad purposes, it doesn't make as big of a deal. When the product line is as limited as Apple's, though, you end up with a stagnating effect that would make anyone's complaints right now sound like chump change.

If Apple were to tell people, "Oh, by the way, we're updating another 400mhz in the next six months," then the people who didn't absolutely need the speed right now would just wait. All the prosumer and hobbyist users would just sit and sit, waiting on the next big thing.

Tomaz
Apr 6, 2004, 08:39 AM
I see your point, but on the other hand if Apple tells me now that they'll release new PBs in September, I will go out tomorrow and buy the current one! Maybe some other people would do that too...

tangenjm@mcmast
Apr 6, 2004, 09:31 AM
I bet we'll see new Powerbooks on April 13th, so they can get some additional advertising for them the following day during their report on their 2nd quarter financial results. This would fly in the face of most critics who will undoubtedly note that Apple hasn't updated their hardware for some time.

Zaty
Apr 6, 2004, 09:34 AM

April 27 just happen to be the last Tuesday in April. I just don't think they would release new PBs in May/June, i.e a few weeks before WWDC. But of course I can be wrong, only Apple knows.

macdong
Apr 6, 2004, 09:46 AM
I see your point, but on the other hand if Apple tells me now that they'll release new PBs in September, I will go out tomorrow and buy the current one! Maybe some other people would do that too...

if Apple tells me that they'll release new PowerBook later than September, i'll go out and buy an iBook :)

DreaminDirector
Apr 6, 2004, 10:10 AM

I agree with both sides on this case. But I'm also waiting on the powerbook as well. If they said WWDC and it wasn't a G5, I'd buy when I get home from work today.

a17inchFuture
Apr 6, 2004, 01:44 PM
What do you know, no update! I would have thought since I bought one sunday they would update, but I guess they'll wait until day 11 after I bought.

Speaking of, does anyone know how that 10 day policy actually works? Is it from the day you place your order, receive your product, or the day it ships? And do you simply call them to arrange the return? Thanks, guys.

a17inchFuture
Apr 6, 2004, 01:48 PM
I agree with both sides on this case. But I'm also waiting on the powerbook as well. If they said WWDC and it wasn't a G5, I'd buy when I get home from work today.

Yeah, i hear ya. While I am extremely pissed that I've been waiting six months for a newer version, I am also extremely happy that my new computer will be in my lap on friday. So its really a toss-up. However, if I had been able to wait longer, I would have.

So keep the faith strong for me, a fallen comrade . . . .

"go on without me, save yourself!"

DreaminDirector
Apr 6, 2004, 02:20 PM
Yeah, it's just so tough to fight off the urge. I've gotten burned twice in the past 2 years. First with my TiBook 800mhz, which they updated 3 weeks after I bought mine. 200 mhz more, a superdrive and a 300 dollar price drop. Then I got burned again (which I should have known better...) when I got my dual 1.25 mhz PMG4 little more than a month before the G5 was announced.

Do I regret any of these purchases? No. I love my macs. But I do feel a bit cheated when I commit to buying an old machine (and by old, I mean, hasn't been updated in 6 months).

I'm waiting this one out. It hurts, but I gotta do it. I can't afford to get screwed again. After I sold the powerbook, I wanted to see how long I could go without a laptop. So far, it's been a huge struggle.

fener
Apr 6, 2004, 02:52 PM
What do you know, no update! I would have thought since I bought one sunday they would update, but I guess they'll wait until day 11 after I bought.

Speaking of, does anyone know how that 10 day policy actually works? Is it from the day you place your order, receive your product, or the day it ships? And do you simply call them to arrange the return? Thanks, guys.

Thats what most people face, who can't succeed to wait. Have a look at the post before this.

For the 10-day return policy:

The time starts ticking with the DELIVERY. Not the order, NOR the shipping date.

The thing is, I know they let some people to UPGRADE from a 15" to a recently updated 17" model, just by paying the difference. Though, there is no such thing WRITTEN, that Apple HAS to do that.

Although, you always have the chance to RETURN your product within 10 days. If its not opened for 10 days, which is almost impossible for an Apple, you can return it for free. HOWEVER, if you open, which means for Apple that JUST TAKE THE POWERBOOK OUT OF ITS SEAL JUST ONCE, they will charge you a 10-15% restocking fee. Thats around 250-300$ for a 17". A LOT OF MONEY.

Hope it helps.

I hope you don't regret your choice of buying, because the Powerbook line WILL BE updated in a couple of weeks.

Regards

a17inchFuture
Apr 6, 2004, 03:01 PM
Thats what most people face, who can't succeed to wait. Have a look at the post before this.

For the 10-day return policy:

The time starts ticking with the DELIVERY. Not the order, NOR the shipping date.

The thing is, I know they let some people to UPGRADE from a 15" to a recently updated 17" model, just by paying the difference. Though, there is no such thing WRITTEN, that Apple HAS to do that.

Although, you always have the chance to RETURN your product within 10 days. If its not opened for 10 days, which is almost impossible for an Apple, you can return it for free. HOWEVER, if you open, which means for Apple that JUST TAKE THE POWERBOOK OUT OF ITS SEAL JUST ONCE, they will charge you a 10-15% restocking fee. Thats around 250-300$ for a 17". A LOT OF MONEY.

Hope it helps.

I hope you don't regret your choice of buying, because the Powerbook line WILL BE updated in a couple of weeks.

Regards

Great, thanks for all the info!

I do have one follow-up question that occured when reading your reply:

What about if you have used the computer for 7 days and then the newer version comes out? Do you get charged the used fee of 10-15 percent or whatever, or is it a straight up exchange for the original price spent?(obviously ignoring the newer model's price differential)

Parikh1234
Apr 6, 2004, 03:25 PM
this is getting crazy...ok someone has to do something about this....give me steves phone number i want to have a little talk with him :D In any case, i really need a powerbook before the start of may. I think i might just have to get the current rev :( Running hardcore aerospace apps on an ibook isnt going to really cut it i think.

Snowy_River
Apr 6, 2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah, it's just so tough to fight off the urge. I've gotten burned twice in the past 2 years. First with my TiBook 800mhz, which they updated 3 weeks after I bought mine. 200 mhz more, a superdrive and a 300 dollar price drop. Then I got burned again (which I should have known better...) when I got my dual 1.25 mhz PMG4 little more than a month before the G5 was announced.

Do I regret any of these purchases? No. I love my macs. But I do feel a bit cheated when I commit to buying an old machine (and by old, I mean, hasn't been updated in 6 months).

I'm waiting this one out. It hurts, but I gotta do it. I can't afford to get screwed again. After I sold the powerbook, I wanted to see how long I could go without a laptop. So far, it's been a huge struggle.

To be fair, if you had waited for the G5, you would have gone without a PowerMac for at least four months, not one.

Playing the update game is a tricky one. In general, I try to buy only when a new update has been released. Luckily, for now, I have the flexibility to do that...

maxmag
Apr 6, 2004, 04:16 PM
My neighbor is a senior engineer in the Apple PB division. Just to let you know, straight from the horses mouth - no new updates in the next few weeks as being claimed on unscrupulous sites. A new PBG4 update is due in "a few months."
The PBG5 is also still "quite some time away" - they are not even close to shrinking the processor down, lowering the energy consumption, and lowering the heat production. Remember, they just came out with the 92nm manufacturing process and they need "quite a bit below that" for the PBG5. My neighbor states "Any speculation regarding PBG5 timeframes is based entirely on speculation regarding anticipated technological progress not based on current capability."

macdong
Apr 6, 2004, 04:24 PM
My neighbor is a senior engineer in the Apple PB division. Just to let you know, straight from the horses mouth - no new updates in the next few weeks as being claimed on unscrupulous sites. A new PBG4 update is due in "a few months."
The PBG5 is also still "quite some time away" - they are not even close to shrinking the processor down, lowering the energy consumption, and lowering the heat production. Remember, they just came out with the 92nm manufacturing process and they need "quite a bit below that" for the PBG5. My neighbor states "Any speculation regarding PBG5 timeframes is based entirely on speculation regarding anticipated technological progress not based on current capability."

i guess that's curtains for Apple and iBook for me :rolleyes:

billwest9999
Apr 6, 2004, 05:14 PM

Good to hear this. Now if any rumor site maintains that there'll be an update this week, next week, or anytime before WWDC, let's boycott that rumor site. (this include this site so don't give me anymore bullshi* rumors about the PBs)

Snowy_River
Apr 6, 2004, 05:17 PM

Based on reported specs of the 90nm 970FX (i.e. that it runs cooler than most if not all high-end Intel/AMD chips used in laptops, and almost on a par with the G4 at comparable if not higher clock speeds), I find this a bit hard to swallow. Also, I doubt that your neighbor, if he is a Sr. Engineer at Apple, would risk his job telling you anything about the status of PB production.

Sorry, you'll have to try harder than that.

(Note, I'm not saying that I think a G5 PB will come out tomorrow or even next week. It may well be another six months before one comes out. But to say that they need 'quite a bit below' 90nm process is just BS.)

aswitcher
Apr 6, 2004, 05:30 PM
SNIP

(Note, I'm not saying that I think a G5 PB will come out tomorrow or even next week. It may well be another six months before one comes out. But to say that they need 'quite a bit below' 90nm process is just BS.)

I hope so... :(

micvog
Apr 6, 2004, 06:37 PM
April 27 just happen to be the last Tuesday in April. I just don't think they would release new PBs in May/June, i.e a few weeks before WWDC. But of course I can be wrong, only Apple knows.

It doesn't necessarily apply to PowerBooks (more so PowerMacs), but Anandtech is reporting that ATI is releasing its new graphics cards on April 26th (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2018).

Snowy_River
Apr 6, 2004, 06:49 PM

My BIRTHDAY!!! http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/grin.jpg http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/smile.jpg http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/grin.jpg

So, of course Apple is going to release updates then, as a special gift to me!
http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/wink.jpg

macdong
Apr 6, 2004, 07:24 PM
My BIRTHDAY!!! http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/grin.jpg http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/smile.jpg http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/grin.jpg

So, of course Apple is going to release updates then, as a special gift to me!
http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/wink.jpg

if you are proven the reason of PowerBook delay, i'll personally hijack a plane and crash it into your backyard :p

timfucius
Apr 6, 2004, 07:25 PM
Well, at 5:21 PM PST I officially gave up waiting for any announcement and went ahead and ordered my 15" 1.25 from MacConnection. To make it less painful, at least I got a $100 rebate... to at least cover my overnight shipping.

Another fallen comrade.

So,

Ryan McCanical
Apr 6, 2004, 07:38 PM
I'm all new to this mac stuff.. I've never even owned one YET... YET! ;)

Anyway, how fast did the powermac G4s actually get before they upped to the G5? It was around 1.5 ghz right?

With that in mind, don't you think that speed bumping the tiny powerbook seems a bit out of the question? I guess they could bump the 17" to 1.5 ghz, and then make the others a bit faster as well, but how much of a difference can that even make? As far as video cards and other options.. how much more can you pack into this thing??

I'm starting to think that APPLE wouldn't introduce another G4 model a year after the G5 came out, though it might be many many months until we actually see the brand new G5 powerbooks.

I'm down for the wait.. it sucks but I'll do it.

fener
Apr 6, 2004, 08:03 PM
Great, thanks for all the info!

I do have one follow-up question that occured when reading your reply:

What about if you have used the computer for 7 days and then the newer version comes out? Do you get charged the used fee of 10-15 percent or whatever, or is it a straight up exchange for the original price spent?(obviously ignoring the newer model's price differential)

What they usually do is, if the computer is OPEN, then they ALWAYS TEND to charge you 10-15%, regardless of a new release or not. Because they are not WRITTEN on paper, the exchange of your 1 week old computer with a new release will depend on the experience you will have with the rep.

As I said, they sometimes LET people to swap their 1 week 15" with a 17", BECAUSE they take your money + a REFURB machine to sell ;)

But, in your case, since yours is 17", there is nothing to upgrade to, no 20" Powerbook ;)

HOWEVER, as I said, it will depend actually the rep you will talk to. If you offer a couple of $$$, they MAY let you upgrade to a HIGHLY ANTICIPATED, BUT YET TO RELEASE powerbook.

I wouldn't worry much, since it SEAMS there is no new powerbooks for at least a couple of weeks.

Regards

Stoffel
Apr 7, 2004, 05:48 AM
Hm, I've talked to a guy yesterday who knows at guy in a german apple store, who had told him, that there would not be new powerbooks before mid-may, and certainly no g5 pb before the end of the year. However, I do not know how much the guys in german apple stores can know about updates, etc....

aswitcher
Apr 7, 2004, 06:27 AM
Hm, I've talked to a guy yesterday who knows at guy in a german apple store, who had told him, that there would not be new powerbooks before mid-may, and certainly no g5 pb before the end of the year. However, I do not know how much the guys in german apple stores can know about updates, etc....

There are a few people posting with this view...doesn't mean they actually know anything...

grenoble
Apr 7, 2004, 08:20 AM
Take a look at powerpage :D

Stoffel
Apr 7, 2004, 08:30 AM

interesting. So my new powerbook is sitting on the dock...... Geee.

atari1356
Apr 7, 2004, 08:38 AM

Hehehe, this is getting downright silly. Now the new PowerBooks are on the shipping dock!

His next news story will be that the new PowerBooks were last spotted by plane on a shipping boat in the middle of the Pacific ocean. A week after that, there will still be no new PowerBooks and he'll claim that the ship hit an iceberg and sank... causing the PowerBooks to be delayed once again.

:rolleyes: :D

Unregistered.
Apr 7, 2004, 08:54 AM
...A week after that, there will still be no new PowerBooks and he'll claim that the ship hit an iceberg and sank... causing the PowerBooks to be delayed once again.
The new PowerBooks are TiBooks too. Just not Ti for Titanium -- Ti for Titanic.

Unregistered.
Apr 7, 2004, 09:02 AM
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot. I asked the Magic 8-ball if Apple would release new PowerBooks before May, and it said YES. I hardly ever get a Yes, it's usually something like "The Future is Uncertain" or crap like that.

Also, they're G4's. Magic 8-ball doesn't lie.

macdong
Apr 7, 2004, 09:39 AM
Hehehe, this is getting downright silly. Now the new PowerBooks are on the shipping dock!

His next news story will be that the new PowerBooks were last spotted by plane on a shipping boat in the middle of the Pacific ocean. A week after that, there will still be no new PowerBooks and he'll claim that the ship hit an iceberg and sank... causing the PowerBooks to be delayed once again.

he may actually be rught.
in the future a boat filled with PowerBook G5 would go into Bermuda Triangle and end up going backwards in time....

get up too early is not a good thing :rolleyes:

macdong
Apr 7, 2004, 09:40 AM
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot. I asked the Magic 8-ball if Apple would release new PowerBooks before May, and it said YES. I hardly ever get a Yes, it's usually something like "The Future is Uncertain" or crap like that.

Also, they're G4's. Magic 8-ball doesn't lie.

everytime i ask the magic 8 ball, it just tells me "ask again later" ;)

konaforever
Apr 7, 2004, 10:29 AM
My sources tell me that Apple didn't want to pay shipping charges. Instead, they are using carrier pidgeons to deliver the powerbooks to the US. Stay tuned.

I also hear there was a recent siting of low flying pidgeons over the Pacific.

DreaminDirector
Apr 7, 2004, 10:35 AM
come on! Is powerpage for real? They're tippytoeing the line between crazy and crazyapplerumors.com.

Marc the Mac
Apr 7, 2004, 10:58 AM
I've been watching the UK applestore build times for 12" Powerbooks almost every day for ages now.

Today it says 10-15 days build time for both a stock and BTO 12" Powerbook.

Marc the Mac
Apr 7, 2004, 11:02 AM
The Uk applestore is also showing 2-3 weeks build time for a 15" Stock Powerbook with superdrive or combo.

Zaty
Apr 7, 2004, 11:30 AM

Actually, they didn't miss the shipping date. When the crew found out that they had brand new PBs on board, the decided to stage a mutiny and keep the PBs for themselves. The ship in question is said to have changed course and is en route for the Caribbean. In case your interested, new PMs were also delivered but the person driving the truck with the valuble shippment missed an exit or two. He was last seen in a small country town in Central Mexico. :D

El Duderino
Apr 7, 2004, 12:05 PM
the best buy website has lowered the price on their 15" 1.25 PB(now $2399) and 12" iB(now $999). allthough i have to add that these have been at "DELETED" status for quite some time now and these are probably just clearance prices, o'well....maybe my employee discount will be lower than the educational discount, i guess i'll find out when i go into work today :D

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat01174&navHistory=cat00000%2Bcat01000%2Bcat01002&type=category&navLevel=4

kbonnel
Apr 7, 2004, 12:09 PM
Now if I can get the apple retail store to price match, and get my EDU discount, I would probably jump on this model. Or I could wait :D

Samuel L Bronkowitz

Unregistered.
Apr 7, 2004, 12:32 PM
Checking the Apple Refurb store, they're out of stock or iMacs and PowerBooks (except one 17" model)...

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/special_page_832.html

Zaty
Apr 7, 2004, 12:54 PM
the best buy website has lowered the price on their 15" 1.25 PB(now $2399) and 12" iB(now $999). allthough i have to add that these have been at "DELETED" status for quite some time now and these are probably just clearance prices, o'well....maybe my employee discount will be lower than the educational discount, i guess i'll find out when i go into work today :D

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat01174&navHistory=cat00000%2Bcat01000%2Bcat01002&type=category&navLevel=4

Interestingly, both the 12" Combo (M9007LL) and the 12" SD (M9008LL) are $1599. Do they have too many SD models in stock? Is there any other reason why they selling both models at the same price?

Checking the Apple Refurb store, they're out of stock or iMacs and PowerBooks (except one 17" model)...

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/special_page_832.html

This could be a good sign.

konaforever
Apr 7, 2004, 12:57 PM
UPDATED NEWS:

Also on the ship, along with the powerbooks, are crates full of copies of Duke Nukem Forever. Apparently, it was delayed, as well, because it was left on the dock.

thatwendigo
Apr 7, 2004, 01:38 PM
More significant than the European store being out:

The Apple Refurb Store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71107/wo/wl5k2S1g6JBj3odmPLD1QC46BRc/0.0.7.1.0.5.13.0.3.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?103,63) is out of G4s, G5s, PowerBook 12", all but one model of 15" and 17", all but the iMac 20", all but one model of eMac. They have plenty of iBooks, it looks like, but stock is depleted on everything else.

maxmag
Apr 7, 2004, 02:21 PM
Clearly you know absolutely nothing about chip design. Have you ever seen the size of the heat sink on a G5? What about on a 90nm G5? You have no idea what you are talking about as well because you aren't familiar with the large amount of power consumption involved. Moreover, no one is risking anything considering I am not revealing my neighbor's name. You probably are paranoid borderline-delusional and listen to the trash that Powerpage.org puts out (i.e. the new powerbooks are sitting on a dock somewhere in Taiwan...blahblahblah...)

Based on reported specs of the 90nm 970FX (i.e. that it runs cooler than most if not all high-end Intel/AMD chips used in laptops, and almost on a par with the G4 at comparable if not higher clock speeds), I find this a bit hard to swallow. Also, I doubt that your neighbor, if he is a Sr. Engineer at Apple, would risk his job telling you anything about the status of PB production.

Sorry, you'll have to try harder than that.

konaforever
Apr 7, 2004, 03:37 PM
Hey, those rumors are the funniest things I've heard in awhile. Don't knock em.:-)

....listen to the trash that Powerpage.org puts out (i.e. the new powerbooks are sitting on a dock somewhere in Taiwan...blahblahblah...)

macdong
Apr 7, 2004, 04:00 PM
Clearly you know absolutely nothing about chip design. Have you ever seen the size of the heat sink on a G5? What about on a 90nm G5? You have no idea what you are talking about as well because you aren't familiar with the large amount of power consumption involved. Moreover, no one is risking anything considering I am not revealing my neighbor's name. You probably are paranoid borderline-delusional and listen to the trash that Powerpage.org puts out (i.e. the new powerbooks are sitting on a dock somewhere in Taiwan...blahblahblah...)

first of all, we are on a rumor website. everybody knows Apple's tight policy of not discussing their future products, not to mention a "senior engineer". so i would say his doubt about you having a neighbor in Apple is reasonable, and those attacks from your words are uncalled for.

besides, what makes you think you aren't risking anything? how many Apple PB divisions are in Apple, and how many "senior engineers" are in that division? if it can be narrowed down to below 10 people, your neighbor's department is gonna have some problem.

by the way, let's assume you do have a neighbor as senior engineer in Apple PB division. tell him they are doing a poor job. Apple has been working with IBM for quite some time now, and i still can't believe they didn't have a plan for PowerBook at the beginning. they should've forseen these problems whatever they are. a supposed pro laptop left hanging is unacceptable.

Snowy_River
Apr 7, 2004, 04:36 PM
Clearly you know absolutely nothing about chip design. Have you ever seen the size of the heat sink on a G5? What about on a 90nm G5? You have no idea what you are talking about as well because you aren't familiar with the large amount of power consumption involved.

If you're only basing your info on the size of the heat sink, I'd be inclined to question your knowledge of chip design. I will be honest and say that I've never designed a computer system. However, I am an physicist, so I know a little about heat dissipation, etc. I've based my information on the released specifications on the power consumption (i.e. directly related to necessary heat dissipation) of the 970FX at various clock speeds, vs. the power consumption of other chips used in mobile settings (P4-M, P-M, G4, etc.).

Now, I will freely acknowledge that the G5's system controller is another culprit of high heat output, and it's usually been where the finger has been pointed lately as to why we don't have a PB G5 yet. This makes the standing question one of when a low power system controller will be ready as the standing question. But that has little to do with the size of the process that the G5 is on. Thus, I question your information.

Moreover, no one is risking anything considering I am not revealing my neighbor's name.

As has been pointed out by MacDong, Apple is known for being very proactive in plugging leaks, even going beyond firing employees to suing them for damages. The information that you gave was easily enough to narrow the field to a mere handful of people. Further, Apple could try to subpoena your IP address from MacRumors, and thus find out where you live, and therefore who your neighbor is. ALL APPLE EMPLOYEES KNOW HOW SERIOUS LEAKING INFORMATION IS. They rarely, if ever, do it.

You probably are paranoid borderline-delusional and listen to the trash that Powerpage.org puts out (i.e. the new powerbooks are sitting on a dock somewhere in Taiwan...blahblahblah...)

Did you not read the last line in my post? Nothing I've said has warranted an attack such as this. Trying to tear down someone else's argument by attacking them personally is one of the weakest forms of attack, and usually is indicative of a weak position on the attacker's part.

first of all, we are on a rumor website. everybody knows Apple's tight policy of not discussing their future products, not to mention a "senior engineer". so i would say his doubt about you having a neighbor in Apple is reasonable, and those attacks from your words are uncalled for.

besides, what makes you think you aren't risking anything? how many Apple PB divisions are in Apple, and how many "senior engineers" are in that division? if it can be narrowed down to below 10 people, your neighbor's department is gonna have some problem.

by the way, let's assume you do have a neighbor as senior engineer in Apple PB division. tell him they are doing a poor job. Apple has been working with IBM for quite some time now, and i still can't believe they didn't have a plan for PowerBook at the beginning. they should've forseen these problems whatever they are. a supposed pro laptop left hanging is unacceptable.

Thank you MacDong.

Naimfan
Apr 7, 2004, 04:50 PM
Snowy--

"Apple could try to subpoena your IP address from MacRumors, and thus find out where you live, and therefore who your neighbor is."

Apple could try, but they would fail... ;-)

Best,

Bob

macdong
Apr 7, 2004, 04:58 PM
Snowy--

"Apple could try to subpoena your IP address from MacRumors, and thus find out where you live, and therefore who your neighbor is."

Best,

Bob

hmm, i don't know about that.
if RIAA can do it over verizon for file swapping, Apple just might be able to :)
nah, just kidding ;)

Parikh1234
Apr 7, 2004, 04:59 PM
Snowy--

Best,

Bob

well we know hes in arizona. And if im correct, isnt apple in california? Thats one hell of a morning drive. Also, how many senior apple engineers are there in arizona? I think apple needs to know about this guy ;)

Naimfan
Apr 7, 2004, 05:23 PM
Sorry gang--I meant from a legal perspective there is little to no chance a subpoena could be served. While the RIAA example seems to be analogous, it is not.

I don't mean to suggest an opinion on the veracity of the claim.

Best,

Bob

macdong
Apr 7, 2004, 05:42 PM
Sorry gang--I meant from a legal perspective there is little to no chance a subpoena could be served. While the RIAA example seems to be analogous, it is not.

Best,

Bob

you are right about subpoena.
i was only joking :)

Snowy_River
Apr 7, 2004, 06:06 PM

Best,

Bob

Yeah, I realized that they might not be likely to succeed, but that hasn't always stopped companies from trying. That is why I used the word 'try'. My primary point was that he was revealing more information that he might have realized...

billwest9999
Apr 7, 2004, 07:54 PM
My primary point was that he was revealing more information that he might have realized...

Which is good for the rest of us. Who cares if he goes to jail if we get our rumors? Somebody has to be sacrifice for the benefits of the group. One for all, all for one!

Anna
Apr 8, 2004, 01:28 AM
bah, I could almost bet my life on that there is no PB this week. Why would apple release something so close to easter anyway. These PB rumors are beginning to be like "the boy who cried wolf".

DreaminDirector
Apr 8, 2004, 02:05 AM
These PB rumors are beginning to be like "the boy who cried wolf".

Sadly, I was thinking the same thing....

aswitcher
Apr 8, 2004, 02:21 AM
Sadly, I was thinking the same thing....

And it felt like this 2 months ago... :(

Snowy_River
Apr 8, 2004, 02:45 AM
And it felt like this 2 months ago... :(

But to what extent can that be blamed on the rumor sites as opposed to Apple. As I've already pointed out elsewhere, we're really only just now getting to the point that PB updates are due, not over due. The rumor sites have been screaming about impending updates, working the community up into a frenzy, only to be disappointed when nothing comes (earlier than history would indicate things should be expected).

aswitcher
Apr 8, 2004, 03:15 AM
But to what extent can that be blamed on the rumor sites as opposed to Apple. As I've already pointed out elsewhere, we're really only just now getting to the point that PB updates are due, not over due. The rumor sites have been screaming about impending updates, working the community up into a frenzy, only to be disappointed when nothing comes (earlier than history would indicate things should be expected).

The September bump was pretty minor so I tend to think they are overdue. Whilst the PBs are good almost everything about them can be improved now to be more in line with what is available in the pc market: screen resolution/refresh, hd speed, dvd speed, clock speed (of course), graphics card... a G4 update if that is indeed whats next will have to do at least these to not get serious criticism. Plus they may do what they did last time and release the G5s within a few months of a G4 upgrade...

oingoboingo
Apr 8, 2004, 05:30 AM
Clearly you know absolutely nothing about chip design. Have you ever seen the size of the heat sink on a G5?

The large heatsink and large, yet slow spinning fan are so the G5 can be cooled ***quietly***. Pentium 4 and Athlon chips producing higher heat outputs are cooled without issue by much smaller heatsinks and fans...but those fans spin at several thousand RPM, and generate much more noise. I have literally just returned from helping a PC-using friend set up an iPod on his overclocked AMD Athlon system. He has a heatsink/fan combo which is about 1/3rd the size of the G5s heatsink...and I can still hear the buzzing in my ear from the 6000 RPM cooling fan. In contrast, I can almost see the individual blades turning in my 1.6GHz G5's CPU fan, and only notice the fan noise when there's no other noise at all in the house.

Big heatsink + fan != large unquenchable furnace-like heat output.

Unregistered.
Apr 8, 2004, 08:04 AM
My standard attitude (that has been developed over many years) is to realize I'll be disappointed by Apple's releases. Most of the time I am underwhelmed. I have had a few "blown away" moments in the past few years; the iMac is a great piece of cool engineering, the introduction of the 12 and 17 PBs was cool, and although I never was a huge fan (pardon the pun) of the G5's boring cheese grater appearance, just the G5 being real and not a myth was exciting. I find that most updates don't do anything for me, since we're (no offense) way behind the PC world (spec-wise anyway). Apple's strength is in their design, not their power. I mean, PBs are MAYBE going to go up to 1.5Ghz. That's where PC laptops have been for 2 or 3 years now. You can get 1.5Ghz laptops for under $1000 on the PC side. That's their low end. My brothers Dell (which is actually a great laptop even though it's running Windows) is at 2 Ghz and he got it at least a year ago. The Dell Laptops are at 3.4 Ghz now.

But then I look at them

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/inspiron_xps?c=ca&l=en&s=gen

and I realize that Apple might take years to get to the same power place, but it's worth the wait. The Dells are monsters, while the Apples are cool. So because I'm more a fan of cool design than raw power, I guess I'll stick around. But I sure would like the G5's to come out soon, because Apple's bloody far behind. We're about to be labelled 'beleaguered' again....

ps. The one thing that's cool about Dells is this, their Quicksnap Colors: Skulls Rule.

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_xps?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs&~page=6&~tab=viewstab#tabtop

klaus
Apr 8, 2004, 08:15 AM
My standard attitude (that has been developed over many years) is to realize I'll be disappointed by Apple's releases. Most of the time I am underwhelmed. I have had a few "blown away" moments in the past few years; the iMac is a great piece of cool engineering, the introduction of the 12 and 17 PBs was cool, and although I never was a huge fan (pardon the pun) of the G5's boring cheese grater appearance, just the G5 being real and not a myth was exciting. I find that most updates don't do anything for me, since we're (no offense) way behind the PC world (spec-wise anyway). Apple's strength is in their design, not their power. I mean, PBs are MAYBE going to go up to 1.5Ghz. That's where PC laptops have been for 2 or 3 years now. You can get 1.5Ghz laptops for under $1000 on the PC side. That's their low end. My brothers Dell (which is actually a great laptop even though it's running Windows) is at 2 Ghz and he got it at least a year ago. The Dell Laptops are at 3.4 Ghz now.

But then I look at them

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/inspiron_xps?c=ca&l=en&s=gen

and I realize that Apple might take years to get to the same power place, but it's worth the wait. The Dells are monsters, while the Apples are cool. So because I'm more a fan of cool design than raw power, I guess I'll stick around. But I sure would like the G5's to come out soon, because Apple's bloody far behind. We're about to be labelled 'beleaguered' again....

ps. The one thing that's cool about Dells is this, their Quicksnap Colors: Skulls Rule.

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_xps?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs&~page=6&~tab=viewstab#tabtop

Maybe Apple Hardware isn't as innovating or powerfull like Dell's lineup, or an other manufacturer for that matter.
But in no way can you compare GHZ numbers from pc to mac.

So stop doing it.. it makes no sense

rev B G5 will be very much in line with what the pc has to offer right now, at least if they announce them in the next few weeks (max 4)

Unregistered.
Apr 8, 2004, 08:56 AM
That's true, Klaus. Once we get faster G5's and put them in PowerBooks we'll be pretty much as fast as the PC world. What I was saying is that PCs are faster, that's a fact, but I'll stick with Apple because they have style and coolness the PCs don't usually have, and I can be slow because I get paid by the hour anyway.

But there's no way that a 1.25Ghz G4 PowerBook is anywhere near as fast as that Dell monster I mentioned above. It's scientifically impossible -- just the slow RAM and System Bus, lack of cache, slow harddrive, etc. make the G4 PowerBook a turtle compared to other guys at the same price point.

But it's a cool turtle, so I'll buy it anyways and hope Apple catches up.

Like I said, I don't care about speed as much as the total package. I just don't want to pay full price for a computer that was released in August or September (and was using older parts even then). A G5 PowerBook would be nice, but I'd never buy a first revision of it. So I'm hoping for a faster G4 soon.

klaus
Apr 8, 2004, 09:06 AM
That's true, Klaus. Once we get faster G5's and put them in PowerBooks we'll be pretty much as fast as the PC world. What I was saying is that PCs are faster, that's a fact, but I'll stick with Apple because they have style and coolness the PCs don't usually have, and I can be slow because I get paid by the hour anyway.

But there's no way that a 1.25Ghz G4 PowerBook is anywhere near as fast as that Dell monster I mentioned above. It's scientifically impossible -- just the slow RAM and System Bus, lack of cache, slow harddrive, etc. make the G4 PowerBook a turtle compared to other guys at the same price point.

But it's a cool turtle, so I'll buy it anyways and hope Apple catches up.

Like I said, I don't care about speed as much as the total package. I just don't want to pay full price for a computer that was released in August or September (and was using older parts even then). A G5 PowerBook would be nice, but I'd never buy a first revision of it. So I'm hoping for a faster G4 soon.

Yes, I second your opinion about the prices of the current hardware. Those prices are fair when they are announced, maybe even 4 months later, but from that point, i'd like to see some price drops.. Almost every products degrades in price the longer it's available. So why doesn't Apple do that?

It would make more sense, cause personally I have been waiting for a rev B G5 for a long time (2 months or so, yes I think it's long :-) ). And to be honest, I won't need the extra power that a 2.4 ghz throws at me compared to the 2.0 ghz. But I just don't want to pay the same price as it was in september.

If price drops were announced 2 months ago, i'd be sitting here with a dp 2.0 ghz on my desk.. truly. But as the situation is now, i'll wait for the rev B. And oh lord, please before june 26th, so I can use the display promo :p

EDIT : regarding that DELL monster as you refer it so elegantly :-). That's not a real laptop anymore, more like a mobile desktop, and you can't compare it to a "regular" laptop like the powerbook. I have an Acer inspire 3ghz, it's almost 8 cm's high , it's weight is 7 kg, screensize is 17", it has a normal hd, so you can swap it as much as you like. But the battery lasts for 45 minutes..

so it's a desktop replacement, for use at 2 locations for instance. Not recommended for people that want to do some surfing on the train :-)

stockscalper
Apr 8, 2004, 10:08 AM
Have you seen how much power those 3.4 GHZ Dells consume? They consume over 100 watts compared with 12 for the 970 FX. You can fry an egg on them and battery life is miniscule. Intel is abandoning the megahertz myth and will no longer give Mhz ratings for their chips. The Centrino series is more in line with Macs and there isn't a power gap even with the existing G4's. As for cost, yes you can buy cheaper PC laptops, but the operative word is cheap as in cheaply made. The keyboards are flimsy and screens washed out. Take a Dell catalog and once you go throught the upgrades to the better screen, more memory, bigger hard drive and wireless card and firewire ports and soon you find that a comparably equipped Dell costs more than the Powerbook, and it's still a thick clumsy ugly brick.

jade
Apr 8, 2004, 11:09 AM
Have you seen how much power those 3.4 GHZ Dells consume? They consume over 100 watts compared with 12 for the 970 FX. You can fry an egg on them and battery life is miniscule. Intel is abandoning the megahertz myth and will no longer give Mhz ratings for their chips. The Centrino series is more in line with Macs and there isn't a power gap even with the existing G4's. As for cost, yes you can buy cheaper PC laptops, but the operative word is cheap as in cheaply made. The keyboards are flimsy and screens washed out. Take a Dell catalog and once you go throught the upgrades to the better screen, more memory, bigger hard drive and wireless card and firewire ports and soon you find that a comparably equipped Dell costs more than the Powerbook, and it's still a thick clumsy ugly brick.

Hey guys let's compare Apples to Apples at least. The 3.4 laptops are good laptops, but the use desktop processors to sacrafice battery life for speed. And that is why the laptops are super cheap, because Intel's desktop chips are much cheaper than the mobile ones.

The powerbooks are in badly need of an upgrade, but you do need to compare them to the true competition, the other notebooks that actually use mobile chips, and place a higher premium on battery life.

For the target market of these cheap laptops, battery life and size are of no consequence, and Apple doesn't compete in this market. Unfortunately for Apple the segment of the laptop market that is growing most is the cheap and fast market.

Snowy_River
Apr 8, 2004, 12:24 PM
... Those prices are fair when they are announced, maybe even 4 months later, but from that point, i'd like to see some price drops.. Almost every products degrades in price the longer it's available. So why doesn't Apple do that?...

Econ101. If Apple lowered their prices during their product cycle, only to spike them up when they made a new release, they'd suffer seriously in sales. It's a far better policy, economically speaking, for them to accept a gradual decrease in sales over the course of the product cycle, than to suffer the consequences of price drops. One way that Apple gets past this, frequently, is to offer rebates and special deals late in the product cycle. Another is that some new machines are shunted into the 'refirb' market.

billwest9999
Apr 8, 2004, 01:56 PM
Close the thread! There are no PB this week, next week, or the week after. Not until WWDC.

Giaguara
Apr 8, 2004, 03:12 PM
oh c'mon .. keep it up so when there finally will be something, it will be still showing "this week"

something like all the "new ipods next week" that were rumoring for 4 months before that "next" tuesday

lewdvig
Apr 8, 2004, 03:32 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/asus-s5200ne_5.html

psych!

Snowy_River
Apr 8, 2004, 04:28 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/asus-s5200ne_5.html

psych!

Ah, yet another case of the PC world copying Apple. But, this is, arguably, a 'sub' notebook, as it doesn't have a built in optical drive...

lewdvig
Apr 8, 2004, 10:30 PM
Ah, yet another case of the PC world copying Apple. But, this is, arguably, a 'sub' notebook, as it doesn't have a built in optical drive...

I posted in the comments to try to educate the buyers. They want $1500 for that thing. A G4 iBook with AE and BT is $1250 - plus you get a built-in drive.

I had a VAIO 505 with external drive. It was the definition of stupid engineering.

GrannySmith_G5
Apr 9, 2004, 10:06 AM
Wowie Zowie, no page 2 rumors since march 29. I can't remember the rumor mill ever being this dry. I think people should just post completely and totally fabricated stories with no basis in truth, just so we have something to talk about.
I'm only half joking.

macdong
Apr 9, 2004, 10:31 AM
Wowie Zowie, no page 2 rumors since march 29. I can't remember the rumor mill ever being this dry. I think people should just post completely and totally fabricated stories with no basis in truth, just so we have something to talk about.
I'm only half joking.

you are also half serious ;)

MikeAtari
Apr 9, 2004, 03:56 PM
Wait Strategies:

If you want a Powerbook G5, can you do a low end 12inch Ibook till it comes out?
What options are you going to get, and can you get any of them now and use them with your current machine?
Keynote, Ipod, Isight, AirPort Extreme?
If you're waiting for a PowerMac, buy a dual 1.8 for now and wait for the G6 in 2005.
Have you got a machine that can run one of the Cinema Displays?
Then get the display now and enjoy it.
Pay off the bill, and you will be ready for the new machines. :cool:

billwest9999
Apr 9, 2004, 07:45 PM
Wait Strategies:

If you want a Powerbook G5, can you do a low end 12inch Ibook till it comes out?
What options are you going to get, and can you get any of them now and use them with your current machine?
Keynote, Ipod, Isight, AirPort Extreme?
If you're waiting for a PowerMac, buy a dual 1.8 for now and wait for the G6 in 2005.
Have you got a machine that can run one of the Cinema Displays?
Then get the display now and enjoy it.
Pay off the bill, and you will be ready for the new machines. :cool:

The problem with this stragety is that when rumors of G6 finally arrives, you'll be forced to use this stragety again because you don't actually know when the G6s be released. So you're always buying old stuff.

Apple has great products, but it's a poorly managed company.

El Duderino
Apr 10, 2004, 12:27 AM
buy a 15" now and that will def hold you over untill rev. 2 g5 PB come out, i would follow this strategy but i have absolutly no need for a laptop right now so i can wait untill the the upcoming revision of the current line...although im still hoping that they came up with some sort of miracle cure for the heat issue and that theyre just not telling us so it can be a big surprise at WWDC, those sly devils :cool:

a17inchFuture
Apr 10, 2004, 12:43 AM
Using my new wireless mouse and my new wireless keyboard to surf my newly wireless internet, all on my new 17 inch 1.33 . . . . oh yeah . . .

Gotta say, regardless of whats to come or what should be . . . this baby rocks . . . .

kbonnel
Apr 10, 2004, 11:32 AM
a17inchFuture:

I also could not wait any longer, and got me a 15" superdrive. One word: AWESOME!!!!!! Not only is this laptop sweet to look at, it is a blast to use. Apple really did put a lot of time in designing this thing. Even down to the LED's on the battery. So far I have not really used my MS bluetooth mouse or the Apple bluetooth keyboard. I also think the illuminating keyboard is so cool, I had to keep turning off the lights just to see it happen. If new models were released on Tuesday, it would have to be something really cool to make me want to take this back. (like a massive speed boost, 1 512meg stick, and the top of the line video card, ohh and a few hundred dollar price drop)

Samuel L Bronkowitz

SiliconAddict
Apr 10, 2004, 02:26 PM
Pist!.......New PowerBook to be released April 12th....pass it on.

Urdam
Apr 10, 2004, 02:31 PM
Where are the Powerbook G5s!!!!!!!!!

DreaminDirector
Apr 10, 2004, 02:45 PM

I'd love to believe you.... what's the proof?

patriotn11
Apr 10, 2004, 03:05 PM
Hello All, :)

I am wanting to get the new 12" or 15" power book, loaded to the gills. I would like to see them put the backlit keys on the 12" and fix the uneveness of the lid when closed on the 15". :eek:

should I buy now or can I see an update on powerbooks this month, any thoughts. :confused:

10 year pc user wanting to have the best of both worlds. :eek:

macdong
Apr 10, 2004, 03:16 PM
Hello All, :)

I am wanting to get the new 12" or 15" power book, loaded to the gills. I would like to see them put the backlit keys on the 12" and fix the uneveness of the lid when closed on the 15". :eek:

should I buy now or can I see an update on powerbooks this month, any thoughts. :confused:

10 year pc user wanting to have the best of both worlds. :eek:

PowerBook may (note, i said "may") be massively updated on WWDC (i.e. with a G5 processor). if you can wait until that time, wait. if a G5 PowerBook, god forbid, isn't introduced on WWDC, i'd get an iBook and keep on waiting for the PowerBook G5.

SiliconAddict
Apr 10, 2004, 04:01 PM
I'd love to believe you.... what's the proof?

No proof just like any PowerBook rumor at this point :confused: :(

aswitcher
Apr 10, 2004, 04:37 PM
No proof just like any PowerBook rumor at this point :confused: :(

Yep, but a pretty reasonable guess given the timing. So we wait and hope.

MikeBike
Apr 10, 2004, 07:25 PM
PowerBook may (note, i said "may") be massively updated on WWDC (i.e. with a G5 processor). if you can wait until that time, wait. if a G5 PowerBook, god forbid, isn't introduced on WWDC, i'd get an iBook and keep on waiting for the PowerBook G5.

I'd say there's no chance the next Powerbook will be a G5.
I think it's pretty clear the next version will be an update to Motorola's 7447A chip.

Then, if we're lucky, 6-8 months after that we will see a new Powerbook G5. If the Power Mac is having problems with "daughter boards" then I see No hope for a Powerbook G5 this month or next.

But, I wish I was wrong.
:(

MikeBike
Apr 10, 2004, 07:33 PM
The problem with this stragety is that when rumors of G6 finally arrives, you'll be forced to use this stragety again because you don't actually know when the G6s be released. So you're always buying old stuff.

Apple has great products, but it's a poorly managed company.

IBM's road map is pretty clear.
For the PowerMac the next chip will be the 975, which we're waiting for.
if you've got a G4 Power Mac, I'd not wait for the 975. I'd get the Dual 1.8 G5 Now. Or even the single 1.6 if that's enough power for you.

The 975 should be released in 1 to 3 months.
The G6( 976(?)) will be released, as Apple always does, 6 to 8 months later. So, the G6 will be out in a year.
That would be time for you to sell your G5( 970 ) on ebay.
What you would lose is the "rent" of the G5 till the G6 came out.

I'd use this plan myself, if I could get it past my wife. ;)

El Duderino
Apr 10, 2004, 10:11 PM
If the Power Mac is having problems with "daughter boards" then I see No hope for a Powerbook G5 this month or next.

But, I wish I was wrong.
i shall simply quote myself from just a few posts before this one ...although im still hoping that they came up with some sort of miracle cure for the heat issue in the G5 and that theyre just not telling us so it can be a big surprise at WWDC, those sly devils

invaLPsion
Apr 11, 2004, 10:02 AM

Psst!.......Not the 12th, the 13th.......pass it on.

Snowy_River
Apr 11, 2004, 12:02 PM
Psst!.......Not the 12th, the 13th.......pass it on.

Psst. Do you think this thread has lasted long enough? http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/wink.jpg

themadchemist
Apr 11, 2004, 12:24 PM
I'd say there's no chance the next Powerbook will be a G5.
I think it's pretty clear the next version will be an update to Motorola's 7447A chip.

Then, if we're lucky, 6-8 months after that we will see a new Powerbook G5. If the Power Mac is having problems with "daughter boards" then I see No hope for a Powerbook G5 this month or next.

But, I wish I was wrong.

Apple's having a tough enough time cooling the PowerMacs with 970FX's, from what reports indicate. There's no way Apple is ready to smack a G5 into a tiny PowerBook. Even the low end frequency has a significant percentage increase in power consumption over current G4's.

Snowy_River
Apr 11, 2004, 12:58 PM
Apple's having a tough enough time cooling the PowerMacs with 970FX's, from what reports indicate. There's no way Apple is ready to smack a G5 into a tiny PowerBook. Even the low end frequency has a significant percentage increase in power consumption over current G4's.

"Reports"? I think that you mean rumors. I don't think Apple has made any reports as to why the new G5s haven't been released. I'll take all rumors as to the reason why with an appropriately sized grain of salt.

The only real reports we've had are those that have come from IBM which indicate that the 970FX runs dramatically cooler than the 970 (on the order of 50% less). Given that Apple didn't seem to have much trouble cooling the 970, I find it hard to believe that the issue with the 970FX is heat related...

invaLPsion
Apr 11, 2004, 01:15 PM
Psst. Do you think this thread has lasted long enough? http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/wink.jpg

Psst......Not when you compare it to the "Updates on the 23rd" thread. :D

macdong
Apr 11, 2004, 02:09 PM
Psst......Not when you compare it to the "Updates on the 23rd" thread. :D

Psst... psst... PSST!!
hey, you!
hey, hello?
hey, HEY! you ok?

i got somebody down because of PowerBook G5 rumors!
quick, someone call an ambulance!!!

stay with me, man, stay with me!

Urdam
Apr 11, 2004, 03:34 PM
Looks like that was a fluke

aswitcher
Apr 11, 2004, 05:53 PM

Which is not good news for me...damn :(

Patmian212
Apr 11, 2004, 07:44 PM
Since updates are coming up soon ......I am considering buying an ibook or powerbook.
Now i would like your opinions on what suits me better for my use ibook or powerbook.

Use:

Moderate Gaming
Some Photoshop and 3d rendering
Internet
Dvd
Music

Help me out i was considering a 14' ibook 1ghz but im not sure!!!

Snowy_River
Apr 11, 2004, 08:26 PM
Since updates are coming up soon ......I am considering buying an ibook or powerbook.
Now i would like your opinions on what suits me better for my use ibook or powerbook.

Use:

Moderate Gaming
Internet
Dvd
Music

For moderate gaming and some Photoshop and 3D rendering, I think the iBook will be a fine machine for you. If you were to go toward doing more Photoshop or rendering, then I'd suggest the PowerBook.

invaLPsion
Apr 11, 2004, 09:36 PM

Use:

Moderate Gaming
Internet
Dvd
Music

I'd go with powerbook. It looks like they're getting an update on Tuesday...

aswitcher
Apr 11, 2004, 09:43 PM

Use:

Moderate Gaming
Internet
Dvd
Music

I think you would be better off with a powerbook.

Screen spanning is one benefit of the power series over the i series
better graphics card as well if you hit a 15"
more ram
faster processor
burn dvds

If you go the ibook the 933 is regarded as a better buy than the 1ghz because of the price difference / performance ratio

Whatever you get, get a minimum 512MB of ram

invaLPsion
Apr 11, 2004, 10:04 PM
Powerbook stocks are almost ZERO at Amazon.

UPDATES TUESDAY

(Hell if there won't be powermacs, then at least there'll be powerbooks.)

PowerMacMan
Apr 11, 2004, 10:10 PM

UPDATES TUESDAY

You're very optimistic... :rolleyes:

aswitcher
Apr 11, 2004, 10:35 PM

UPDATES TUESDAY

:eek: Yeah :p

fener
Apr 11, 2004, 11:24 PM
Look here:

The wait for new 12" 1GHz PowerBook G4/Combos moved from 'Same Day' delivery to 7-10 days this Saturday morning at The Apple Store.

:D

Congrats to everyone.

The wait is over.
Getting my Powerbook by Friday, if they are available by then.

Snowy_River
Apr 11, 2004, 11:26 PM
I'd go with powerbook. It looks like they're getting an update on Tuesday...

If they get updated, and if you have the extra money to spare, then I'd agree. Get a PowerBook.

El Duderino
Apr 12, 2004, 01:00 AM
im haveing trouble seperating fiction from reality....although i think thats the case with everyone here. im just happy that i have the patience to hold out for the next best thing, eternaly ;)

billwest9999
Apr 12, 2004, 01:36 AM
Look here:

The wait for new 12" 1GHz PowerBook G4/Combos moved from 'Same Day' delivery to 7-10 days this Saturday morning at The Apple Store.

Congrats to everyone.

The wait is over.
Getting my Powerbook by Friday, if they are available by then.

Too bad the other pbs all ship on the same business day. No updates this week.

Snowy_River
Apr 12, 2004, 02:42 AM
im haveing trouble seperating fiction from reality....although i think thats the case with everyone here. im just happy that i have the patience to hold out for the next best thing, eternaly ;)

You know, I think that it might be better put as distinguishing fact and rumor. Rumors, after all, are where they start. Then time proves these rumors to be either fact or fiction. But everyone, typically, wants the rumors to be fact, so some people have trouble bearing in mind that the rumors have yet to be proven either fact or fiction.

Personally, I take the attitude that every rumor here is most likely fiction unless it's backed up by official announcements. (i.e. talking about the 970FX having heat problems in the the Power Macs is likely fiction, whereas talking about the heat output from the 970FX, as reported by IBM, is fact.)

Going this route results in some of rumors taken as fiction turning out to be fact. I see it as being better that way than to take something as fact and have it turn out to be fiction.

Even though a lot of what gets thrown around here is ultimately proven to be fiction, and should probably be considered such from the beginning, it's still fun to read it all, hoping and dreaming for the future.

http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/smile.jpg http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/grin.jpg http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/smile.jpg

aswitcher
Apr 12, 2004, 02:51 AM

Damn. :(

nargot
Apr 12, 2004, 02:54 AM

i think it can go longer... how many pipe dreams out there... :D

Patmian212
Apr 12, 2004, 09:33 AM
Thank you for your opinions on my dilema everyone!
i decided on a 12' pb so i can throw away my 1.8ghz 256mbram,40gb pc

Now just to wait for the updates so i can buy the old one on a price slash!
Lets see how long it will take this time and lets hope this rumor isnt wrong like the last 20 rumors on updates! :confused: :eek: :( :mad: :D :p ;)

invaLPsion
Apr 12, 2004, 09:58 AM

Don't listen to him. Ship times at the Apple store are usually not indicative of product updates. You have to look at stocks of resellers and all the stocks of resellers are almost at zero.

Don't forget that Arn told us that Apple is prepping new products for release.

Don't forget that 3 rumor sites are saying that powerbooks will be updates SOON.

Stay optimistic. :D

invaLPsion
Apr 12, 2004, 10:02 AM
$1599: 12 inch 1.25GHz, 256 ram, combo, radeon 9200 mobility (64)
$1799: 12 inch 1.25GHz, 256 ram, superdrive, radeon 9200 mobility (64)
$1999: 15 inch 1.33GHz, 256 ram, combo, radeon 9600 mobility (64)
$2399: 15 inch 1.53GHz, 512 ram, superdrive, radeon 9700 mobility (128)
$2799: 17 inch 1.53GHz, 512 ram, superdrive, radeon 9700 mobility (128)

Does that look good to you?

rjeffreyproctor
Apr 12, 2004, 10:08 AM
$1599: 12 inch 1.25GHz, 256 ram, combo, radeon 9200 mobility (64)
$1799: 12 inch 1.25GHz, 256 ram, superdrive, radeon 9200 mobility (64)
$1999: 15 inch 1.33GHz, 256 ram, combo, radeon 9600 mobility (64)
$2799: 17 inch 1.53GHz, 512 ram, superdrive, radeon 9700 mobility (128)

Looks good to me... now make it happen in a G5 :)

DreaminDirector
Apr 12, 2004, 10:09 AM
$1599: 12 inch 1.25GHz, 256 ram, combo, radeon 9200 mobility (64)...

That would be my sweet spot! Please, give me a good video card in the 12"!

Patmian212
Apr 12, 2004, 11:24 AM
Whats the url for the mac refurbished store and
is the radeon 9200 any good and are the ibook 800 and 933 anygood

El Duderino
Apr 12, 2004, 12:51 PM

if this was the case tomorow i would 100% have to buy, especially with the edu discount, that would make my brand new kickin PB 2100$...hold on i need to go clean up ;)

Snowy_River
Apr 12, 2004, 01:21 PM
Whats the url for the mac refurbished store and
is the radeon 9200 any good and are the ibook 800 and 933 anygood

Just go to the Apple Store site and you should see something like

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/529/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/cp_promo_specialdeals091603.gif

about 3/4 of the way down on the left side (YMMV). Click on it and you're there.

invaLPsion
Apr 12, 2004, 01:23 PM
if this was the case tomorow i would 100% have to buy, especially with the edu discount, that would make my brand new kickin PB 2100$...hold on i need to go clean up ;)

In my earlier post it indicated that the top of the line 15 inch would be 1.53 but it is more likely to be 1.467GHz.

I hope that doesn't hamper your good mood. :)

El Duderino
Apr 12, 2004, 03:16 PM
I hope that doesn't hamper your good mood. :)
not really, an update of any kind will make me happy. but thanx for your concerne

aswitcher
Apr 12, 2004, 04:05 PM
Don't forget that Arn told us that Apple is prepping new products for release.

Don't forget that 3 rumor sites are saying that powerbooks will be updates SOON.

Stay optimistic. :D

Crossing fingers here. But methinks WWDC...

invaLPsion
Apr 12, 2004, 08:13 PM
Crossing fingers here. But methinks WWDC...

for powerbook G5s...

aswitcher
Apr 12, 2004, 08:15 PM
for powerbook G5s...

Yep! For the machine that is going to make me a mac user... :)

El Duderino
Apr 12, 2004, 09:18 PM
for powerbook G5s...
i would hope so, but like ive said before i'de still be happy with some kind of revision. ill still cross my fingers with the rest of you guys

fener
Apr 12, 2004, 10:27 PM
Don't know if its a Powerbook, or iPod, or iBook.

But

Smthgs gonna happen, in 12 hours.

macdong
Apr 12, 2004, 10:31 PM

But

yeah, apple will release a pro mouse with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel... :rolleyes:

PowerMacMan
Apr 12, 2004, 10:35 PM
yeah, apple will release a pro mouse with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel... :rolleyes:

Sweet mother of God! YAY!

fishlord
Apr 13, 2004, 12:41 AM

But

void
Rumor :: powerBookUpdate(Date current_date)
{

if (!newPowerBook())
{
cout << "there will be new powerbooks tuesday of " << current_date;
powerBookUpdate(++current_date);
}

return;
}

DreaminDirector
Apr 13, 2004, 12:47 AM

void
Rumor :: powerBookUpdate(Date current_date)
{

if (!newPowerBook())
{
cout << "there will be new powerbooks tuesday of " << current_date;
powerBookUpdate(++current_date);
}

return;
}

LOL! That's awesome! Nice coding, FishLord!

fishlord
Apr 13, 2004, 01:02 AM
LOL! That's awesome! Nice coding, FishLord!

thanks... anything to put off studying for my test that is tomorrow.

(Edit: spelling)

DreaminDirector
Apr 13, 2004, 01:07 AM
thanks... anything to put off studying for my test that is tomorrow.

(Edit: spelling)

yeah, I know the feeling. I spent many nights procrastinating in my college years. Thank god I went to an art school. No 60 page terms pages.

a17inchFuture
Apr 13, 2004, 01:44 AM
Hate to be the gasoline in a fire, but i have tried to check an order online (17 inch powerbook case) i bought recently, and since 8 this evening (7 hours ago) it replies with "store is temporarily offline for updates".

Thats a long time, longer than normal, and before a tuesday . . .

And I bought a powerbook a week ago, so they should obviously be updating it anytime now . . . .

Its all good, cause if they do, I get to trade-in!!!

PLEASE NEW PB's TOMORROW!!!! . . . . and i'd take the optical (and wireless) scroll mouse too!

a17inchFuture
Apr 13, 2004, 01:53 AM
. . . And there are also no refurb pb's on the apple site, either.

Me thinks i smell a rat . . . .

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 01:54 AM
The store is online and no updates... :(

jade
Apr 13, 2004, 02:20 AM
The store is online and no updates... :(

Actually that is an awesome sign. Usually the store closes for a few hours. Goes back online as it is normal..but things will chenge when they flip the switch at 6,7,8,9am pacific sign.

So it is looking better that we might see something new...finally!!!!!!

(yeah I bet it is new Apple pro speakers.)

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 02:23 AM
or different colored ipods !!!! yipeeeeeeee ;)

DreaminDirector
Apr 13, 2004, 02:25 AM
I just checked the powerbooks and the 12" has gone from 1-3 days to 5-7 days delivery time. I have no idea why this happens, but is that a sign of an update? it's now, 12:30 PST.

edit: I just checked again (three minutes later) and it's up to 7-10 days!!?!?

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 02:40 AM
I just checked the powerbooks and the 12" has gone from 1-3 days to 5-7 days delivery time. I have no idea why this happens, but is that a sign of an update? it's now, 12:30 PST.

edit: I just checked again (three minutes later) and it's up to 7-10 days!!?!?

I don't think this means something. The 15" and 17" are still shipped "the next business day"!
But of course I'm still hoping !!!!

rwbean
Apr 13, 2004, 04:47 AM
Dear God

Please let the powerbooks be updated tomorrow, and please give them new features.

* DDR400 RAM,
* faster CPUs,
* faster video cards with more RAM,
* 8x Superdrive,
* 7200rpm hard drive, and
* most importantly drop the price to $A exchange rate + 10% otherwise I won't buy it - I am watching the Canada store so I know what they should cost!

thankyou

Amen

rosalindavenue
Apr 13, 2004, 07:05 AM
"We are busy updating the store for you and will be back within the hour."

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 07:10 AM
"We are busy updating the store for you and will be back within the hour."

Ok, now I'm nervous!

Gurugrrrl
Apr 13, 2004, 07:14 AM
Ok, now I'm nervous!

Yeah....I keep running to the computer and hitting refresh while getting ready for work.

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 07:16 AM
Yeah....I keep running to the computer and hitting refresh while getting ready for work.

Get yourself the mozilla browser! It has an auto-refresh addon! I let mine refresh automatically every 30sec... (kinda sad and sick, I know ;) )

Apr 13, 2004, 07:27 AM
Ok, now I'm nervous!

Me too..

Hopefully... Updated PowerBooks. Apple better as hell not come up with some useless update, like an eMac one or something.

Lancetx
Apr 13, 2004, 07:34 AM
Me too..

Hopefully... Updated PowerBooks. Apple better as hell not come up with some useless update, like an eMac one or something.

Useless to you maybe, but not to all of us out here. I'm glad to see the eMac updates coming today. I hope there are PowerBooks coming as well though too. :)

rosalindavenue
Apr 13, 2004, 07:36 AM
Its EMAC updates. Nothing to the powerbooks!

Apr 13, 2004, 07:38 AM
ARGH UPDATED eMac's!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 07:40 AM
Can't believe this !!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The only thing they should do to eMACs is to discontinue them! (Sorry to all eMAC users/fans, I was just really hoping for PB updates...)

Unregistered.
Apr 13, 2004, 07:47 AM
Apple has to save something to debut at the NAB. People pay big money to get in there to "see a show"; if Apple disappointed them, they wouldn't be Apple. In other words, even if they have PowerBooks ready to go NOW, I'm guessing they'll hold them and make a bigger splash with them.

But what do I know? I've been waiting for the G5 PowerBook since 1998.

klaus
Apr 13, 2004, 07:48 AM
I've been waiting for the G5 PowerBook since 1998.

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 07:52 AM
Apple has to save something to debut at the NAB. People pay big money to get in there to "see a show"; if Apple disappointed them, they wouldn't be Apple. In other words, even if they have PowerBooks ready to go NOW, I'm guessing they'll hold them and make a bigger splash with them.

I just don't think NAB is the right place to introduce now powerbooks :(

But on the other hand, I don't care where they introduce it, even if it's at the great opening of the first Taco Bell in Nairobi, just introduce it soon, please !

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 08:51 AM
So since eMACs were EOL'd a month ago, and updated today, does this mean we have to wait for PBs to be EOL'd, before there is a chance of updates?
If it takes as long as with the eMACs, that would mean no updates till mid-May, even if they change their staus to End-Of-Live today! And I guess there will be no updates just 1.5 months before WWDC - soooooooo, no updates till end of June...
:eek:

Sad, sad, Steve will be ripped to pieces if he announces no G5 PB updates then.

DreaminDirector
Apr 13, 2004, 09:36 AM
eMac, huh.... well, I gotta throw in the towel, suck it up and got buy a 8 month old 12" powerbook. Thanks, Steve....

a17inchFuture
Apr 13, 2004, 09:51 AM
Dont be too sad, my powerbook, bought a week ago, is F'in awesome! OS X simply blows away anything else. Maybe its cause i am coming from a system 9 comp, but I love it, and the computer even more!!

a17inchFuture
Apr 13, 2004, 09:54 AM
1.25 Ghz processors in the emac's?????

Congratulations, powerbook owners, your computers are now as advanced as the cheapest line apple makes, and only twice to three times as expensive!!!!!!

This is literally a spit in the face of powerbook owners, and is an insult to anyone considering buying a powerbook.

Steve, you complete a**hole . . . You and everyone at apple deserve to go belly up for this.

a17inchFuture
Apr 13, 2004, 09:57 AM
(so in other words, 15 inch superdrive buyers are paying the 1-2 grand difference for bluetooth, airport, and a thin screen)

DreaminDirector
Apr 13, 2004, 10:00 AM

Congratulations, powerbook owners, your computers are now as advanced as the cheapest line apple makes, and only twice to three times as expensive!!!!!!

This is literally a spit in the face of powerbook owners, and is an insult to anyone considering buying a powerbook.

Steve, you complete a**hole . . . You and everyone at apple deserve to go belly up for this.

It's spitting in the faces of the pro line. How can you give the eMac a 8x superdrive before the PowerMacs. Hell, how can you give it to the eMac BEFORE even the iMac?!?! I don't get it. I makes my brain hurt this early in the morning! I have yet to comprehend how this is possible! Anyone have answers?

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 10:17 AM

I didn't have the balls to write it, but I feel exactly the same !!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

cantwait
Apr 13, 2004, 10:38 AM
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a IBM Thinkpad T41p (for 2 grand) or a 15 inch powerbook? Any Thoughts?

Unregistered.
Apr 13, 2004, 10:55 AM
Great. Now a drooling kid in Grade 3 on an eMac has the same power BT, Nine Inch Nails, Francis Ford Coppola, etc. has to settle for in their laptops (even though they're willing to pay top dollar). The Pro line of laptops is pretty freakin' sad. It's no wonder both BT and NIN have bought PCs recently. I've got PC music magazines with both bands, and they're using PCs... You never hear about the defections from the Mac side, but they happen (although both bands just use both sides now, not just Macs anymore -- Macs can't do everything they want them to do anymore).

Of course, like I said before, my basic plan is to 'plan to be disappointed' by Apple announcements. That way if something great happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised.... Usually, nothing great happens. With the exception of the cool design of the iMac, I haven't been pleasantly surprised in a while. I'm usually UNDERWHELMED. Yay! Bigger harddrives in the iPod! Yay! More very overpriced very slow RAM as a mandatory minimum in the PowerBooks! Yay! G5 speed tests that later proved to be false! Yay! More beta software! Yay! My iPod mini is broken already! Yay! My iBook is on fire! Yay! I can hear my G5's fan from Tokyo! Yay! My cat choked on TiBook paint chips! Oh mighty Apple I worship you for forcing us to use obsolete hardware to run OS X!

Sorry, I'm slightly bitter, if you didn't notice.

My only hope (giving Apple WAY too much credit and 'benefit of the doubt') is that they're going to REALLY bump their pro line very soon and we'll all be BLOWN AWAY. Pretty soon, the iPod will have a bigger harddrive than the PowerBooks -- and a better processor. But like I said before, if people keep buying the current PB lineup, Apple will keep pumping out more of them, because they can make more money off selling ancient gear than 'innovating' up some new quality gear. I got flamed for saying this before, but it's true. If nobody demands better, they won't get better. And as long as we all worship Apple, they'll continue to treat us the same way the Ancient Gods treated their worshippers. Like *****. They'll release new stuff when the marketshare numbers FORCE them to release new stuff.

This forum makes me think I'm suicidal. Jeez, I gotta go to take my Prozac now and sing a happy song and dream of living in Smurf Village where Apple doesn't exist.

Bhennies
Apr 13, 2004, 11:02 AM
I just don't think NAB is the right place to introduce now powerbooks :(
Not necessarily true. Apple needs press, and there are only 2 large events in the near future: NAB and WWDC. WWDC is too far away for powerbooks...if they wait that long, they will lose a lot of people either to PC or other models. Powerbooks are the laptop of choice for video editing professionals. They won't get much attention if they announce them like the emacs...I guarantee that there are people at the Apple store today buying the old emac model for full price. It's not that far fetched.

Unregistered.
Apr 13, 2004, 11:18 AM
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a IBM Thinkpad T41p (for 2 grand) or a 15 inch powerbook? Any Thoughts?
You can't go wrong with either. The ThinkPad is definitely more powerful and more sturdy. We've used them at work and they're great. I've lovingly used the A model (the big one) and it was THE most powerful laptop I've ever seen (more like a desktop in size though). My buddy has the X, I think, a little small one, which is really great but needs higher resolution.

They also run Linux really well if you want to try a real OS on it.

If you don't mind using the hodge-podge of jumbly crap that is WinXP, I'd go for that... or sit and wait like the rest of us to see if Apple brings their laptop lineup up to par with the PC world's 1998 lineup. If you're going to buy a PowerBook, wait for revisions.

Bilvox
Apr 13, 2004, 12:17 PM
emac, sure update the freakin emac.... oh, i will just wait then... cmon pb updates!

-bilvox

http://www.bilvox.com/blog/index.html

Zaty
Apr 13, 2004, 12:58 PM
emac, sure update the freakin emac.... oh, i will just wait then... cmon pb updates!

-bilvox

No worries, they're just around the corner! The 15 and the 17inchers will be bumped to 1.5GHz (the 12" to 1.25), so they will keep their distance to the consumer line. This also opens the way for an iBook update.

Snowy_River
Apr 13, 2004, 01:01 PM

If you don't like what they offer, go to PCs.

Jeez, get a grip. PBs are only just at the end of their typical product cycle. They aren't late. Just because the eMac was updated doesn't mean that anything else has changed.

Usually, I'd expect this kind of information to be greeted with cheers. Apple has a decently equipped machine for less than $800! That's great!

Do you think that Apple isn't trying to get new PBs out ASAP? Do you think that their choice not to release yet is to personally piss you off? If not, then don't take it so personally, and don't make it so personal.

I choose to look at it this way, the longer there is before an update comes the more likely the update will be a G5 PB, rather than simply a speed bumped G4. So, I'm quite willing to wait for WWDC on the hope that that will mean G5 (sooner) rather than G4 now and G5 much later...

El Duderino
Apr 13, 2004, 01:08 PM
as of right now i simply cant accept an ********** speed pumb for a PROFESIONAL line of computers....it ridiculus that the same processor found in a bottom of the line eMAC would be found in a high-end portable for more than double the price. i can not in my right mind fork over $2500 for an 8 month old laptop with the same speed as something i can get for 800 :eek:

GIVE ME A QUALITY G5 PB STEVE OR I AM GOING TO STICK WITH MY GUNS AND GET A PC...not that hes listening or thing

here i am right on the edge of jumping into the mac world and this happens, there better be a bad ass follow up

Tomaz
Apr 13, 2004, 01:16 PM
If you don't like what they offer, go to PCs.....

Come one, the way he said it might have been a bit harsh, but I bet that's what most of us thought!

Having the almost same specs in an eMAC and a PB is ridiculous!!! The eMAC is even better than the iMAC now, and has a quicker Superdrive than the Powermacs. ALl all that for 1-2000$ less. Good for eMAC buyers, but everyone else must feel like an idiot!

fener
Apr 13, 2004, 01:59 PM
The wait for build-to-order PowerBooks and iBooks at The Apple Store increased yesterday from 'Same Day' delivery to 5-7 days.

Unregistered.
Apr 13, 2004, 02:51 PM
Does the increased wait just mean they're so busy with orders they take longer?

Bilvox
Apr 13, 2004, 02:58 PM
I ordered last week from the apple store the m-audio mobile usb pre-amp... and they have a big delay so now instead of the 3-5 days origonally stated it says perhaps it will ship by the 21st.
so... a little more wait and see pudding.
but it will all be worth it im sure.
;-)

cheers,
-Bilvox

skinEman23
Apr 13, 2004, 04:03 PM
I would have to agree with everyone that this is becoming ridiculous. The fact that Apple's low-end computers outdo their high-end laptops is not quite as disturbing as the fact that the powerbooks have been collecting dust for seven months with no price break. I can tell you without a doubt that no matter what everyone has against dell and other PC manufacturers, you will never see their PC lines go for seven months with no upgrades or price drops. Never.

imaginereno
Apr 13, 2004, 04:26 PM
I would have to agree with everyone that this is becoming ridiculous. The fact that Apple's low-end computers outdo their high-end laptops is not quite as disturbing as the fact that the powerbooks have been collecting dust for seven months with no price break. I can tell you without a doubt that no matter what everyone has against dell and other PC manufacturers, you will never see their PC lines go for seven months with no upgrades or price drops. Never.

Yes, but Apple doesn't have the direct competition that Dell has in the PC/Intel world.

rdowns
Apr 13, 2004, 06:38 PM

This attitude is exactly what has Apple in trouble. You don't hold back other lines because your higher end models are not ready for update. Kudos to Apple for giving their entry level model some oomph and getting it out so that schools can buy them with their upcoming budget money.

rdowns
Apr 13, 2004, 06:39 PM
It's spitting in the faces of the pro line. How can you give the eMac a 8x superdrive before the PowerMacs. Hell, how can you give it to the eMac BEFORE even the iMac?!?! I don't get it. I makes my brain hurt this early in the morning! I have yet to comprehend how this is possible! Anyone have answers?

Yes, Jobs took his head out of his ass and made a smart marketing move.

aswitcher
Apr 13, 2004, 06:51 PM
Yes, Jobs took his head out of his ass and made a smart marketing move.

I think we are being a bit hard on Apple. I think until WWDC we won't be able to really know what their success is this year. Could be they need this time to bring out new revs that will seriously impress. If not, then I too will be ranting at their failures...

Snowy_River
Apr 13, 2004, 07:23 PM
Come one, the way he said it might have been a bit harsh, but I bet that's what most of us thought!

Having the almost same specs in an eMAC and a PB is ridiculous!!! The eMAC is even better than the iMAC now, and has a quicker Superdrive than the Powermacs. ALl all that for 1-2000$ less. Good for eMAC buyers, but everyone else must feel like an idiot!

Which only goes to show that the PB and iMac lines are prime for an update. Apple has had their 'consumer' lines sporting more powerful configurations than the PBs before, but it usually doesn't last long. Perhaps I could understand this attitude if Apple were to release a new PB without speed bumps and only a few hardware improvements.

http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/rolleyes.jpg

Snowy_River
Apr 13, 2004, 07:25 PM

There are simple economics involved in this. Apple can't just cut prices when, in a month or so, they'd have to boost the prices back up. The consequences are far worse for Apple to do this than to keep the prices constant across the product cycle.

skinEman23
Apr 13, 2004, 07:35 PM
There are simple economics involved in this. Apple can't just cut prices when, in a month or so, they'd have to boost the prices back up. The consequences are far worse for Apple to do this than to keep the prices constant across the product cycle.

Perhaps a short price cut before revisions would be a bad idea now. It may have been a better idea three months ago. Regardless, Apple's marketing campaign, or lack thereof, is not exactly enticing at the current time. While other Macs have double memory promotions, Powerbooks are left empty-handed. If apple was afraid of price cuts they could at least give us a promo or bundle. Maybe a silver ipod mini with a 12" powerbook if they can ever make enough minis? A rebate perhaps? Just some examples of things apple could do to sell more powerbooks. Maybe they are selling enough right now, but those of us with higher IQs than cement know better than to buy a seven month old laptop at its initial price.

Tomaz
Apr 14, 2004, 01:28 AM
As overpriced the PB is at the moment, it's still 6th on the top sellers list, and the highest ranked computer overall. If people still buy it like this, there's no need for an immediate update, or a price drop...

DreaminDirector
Apr 14, 2004, 01:56 AM
As overpriced the PB is at the moment, it's still 6th on the top sellers list, and the highest ranked computer overall. If people still buy it like this, there's no need for an immediate update, or a price drop...

yeah, and I hope Apple doesn't think like this. The update has to be just around the corner. If the eMac has an 8x superdrive and the apple stores are no longer carrying the 2x media, new superdrives in new machines are coming. And the dilemma will always be, when?

sigh.... I need to hold out.

jade
Apr 14, 2004, 02:03 AM
yeah, and I hope Apple doesn't think like this. The update has to be just around the corner. If the eMac has an 8x superdrive and the apple stores are no longer carrying the 2x media, new superdrives in new machines are coming. And the dilemma will always be, when?

sigh.... I need to hold out.

but with the proper firmware update you can use 4x media in a 2x drive...so that doesn't really matter

marmotte
Apr 14, 2004, 10:20 AM
at least this is what "Croquer dans la pomme" claims. They will be announced at NAB.

See http://croquer.free.fr/

MM
:cool:

eric67
Apr 14, 2004, 12:07 PM
at least this is what "Croquer dans la pomme" claims. They will be announced at NAB.

See http://croquer.free.fr/

MM
:cool:

and the same website is reporting new PMG5 to be announced at the WWDC.
they report that indeed the PMG5 was delayed for release since January, due to 3 reasons :
- temperature probe problem, fixed at the end of January
- ATI graphic card delivery delayed by 3 weeks
- problem in PPC970fx process, well it seems that IBM was using a type of "glue" during assembling process (part of the new SSDOI process), but the quality of this glue seemed to be not so good, and the processor was quickly destroyed...this has been fixed by IBM, and but Apple will have to change all the processor already installed on the daugther cards of the coming PBG5...:-(
this could also explain the delay of the Xserve shipping date...Apple using the first batch of PPC970fx produced by IBM after changing the process directly into the Xserve, and first for the single processor Xserve G5...

fener
Apr 14, 2004, 03:26 PM
ALL of the Apple portable computers shipping times are INCREASED TO 1-3 Business Days today, with some of them having 3-7 Business Days shipping times.

Well,

1-3 Business Day ship time corresponds to Monday shipment as of today.

There is a major Apple event on April 18, Sunday, the day before the shipment.

The corresponding 3rd day is the first business day after the Event.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 14, 2004, 03:58 PM
ALL of the Apple portable computers shipping times are INCREASED TO 1-3 Business Days today, with some of them having 3-7 Business Days shipping times.

Well,

1-3 Business Day ship time corresponds to Monday shipment as of today.

There is a major Apple event on April 18, Sunday, the day before the shipment.

The corresponding 3rd day is the first business day after the Event.

Got to be. My laptop was just ordered...

aswitcher
Apr 14, 2004, 04:09 PM
Got to be. My laptop was just ordered...

Here's hoping...

Snowy_River
Apr 14, 2004, 04:19 PM
Perhaps a short price cut before revisions would be a bad idea now. It may have been a better idea three months ago. Regardless, Apple's marketing campaign, or lack thereof, is not exactly enticing at the current time. While other Macs have double memory promotions, Powerbooks are left empty-handed. If apple was afraid of price cuts they could at least give us a promo or bundle. Maybe a silver ipod mini with a 12" powerbook if they can ever make enough minis? A rebate perhaps? Just some examples of things apple could do to sell more powerbooks. Maybe they are selling enough right now, but those of us with higher IQs than cement know better than to buy a seven month old laptop at its initial price.

Price drops, in general, are a bad marketing move in Apple's position. Apple has typically gotten past this buy including PBs in promotions, as you've observed. However at the moment (to quote another post)

However, I don't agree with the update assessment. Apple always wants to update their hardware as soon as they can. Think about the milage that they got out of the G3 being so much faster than the PCs at the time. They'd like to get back there. However, given that the PBs are still selling well, this means that they can choose their venue as to when to sell. If they feel that it will make a bigger splash as something like the NAB than at a special press event, it makes sense for them to hold out for the NAB.

billwest9999
Apr 14, 2004, 04:28 PM
Price drops, in general, are a bad marketing move in Apple's position. Apple has typically gotten past this buy including PBs in promotions, as you've observed. However at the moment (to quote another post)

However, given that the PBs are still selling well, this means that they can choose their venue as to when to sell. If they feel that it will make a bigger splash as something like the NAB than at a special press event, it makes sense for them to hold out for the NAB.

Correct, the PBs are still selling well. Spread the word to everyone and tell them to NOT buy the PBs. This will force Jobs to release the damn thing. Either that or he can lose his job.

Snowy_River
Apr 15, 2004, 03:21 AM
Correct, the PBs are still selling well. Spread the word to everyone and tell them to NOT buy the PBs. This will force Jobs to release the damn thing. Either that or he can lose his job.

Oh, give me a break!

If the PBs were to start not selling as well, Apple would start offering more promotions to help them out. They'll still release the new PBs as soon as they can (plus or minus a week or two, for best PR). In any event, even if PBs weren't released for another month, they'd still essentially be on schedule. Just because you want a product cycle to go faster doesn't mean that it will.

And, finally, even if the new PBs weren't released until July or August, that wouldn't mean that Jobs would be fired.

Sheesh.

Didn't someone mention at some point that it seems that most of the over-reacting complaints come from newbies?

skinEman23
Apr 16, 2004, 09:24 PM

I am going to hope you were being sarcastic.

ingenious
Apr 16, 2004, 09:58 PM
Oh, give me a break!

If the PBs were to start not selling as well, Apple would start offering more promotions to help them out. They'll still release the new PBs as soon as they can (plus or minus a week or two, for best PR). In any event, even if PBs weren't released for another month, they'd still essentially be on schedule. Just because you want a product cycle to go faster doesn't mean that it will.

And, finally, even if the new PBs weren't released until July or August, that wouldn't mean that Jobs would be fired.

Sheesh.

Didn't someone mention at some point that it seems that most of the over-reacting complaints come from newbies?

i never noticed that, but its true! i was like that too when i was a newbie

Bilvox
Apr 19, 2004, 08:49 AM
YAY
My patience has paid off
the new 15PB is here and I just put my order in.

ahhhh thank you
ah thank you
(a very excited)
-bilvox
:eek:

http://www.bilvox.com

itsa
Apr 25, 2004, 11:42 PM
Hmmm odd... them things just are not selling!

Not even at the bottem of the "top" sellers list.
Could that be because you would have to be a SUCKER to get one?
Either that or that money was burning a big hole in the ole pocket.
I have the money.. and it is burning a hole... But I'll buy a Windows unit before I buy another G4. As BAD as that would be.

Just a heads up apple.... We do not want has been.
Catch up boys. Make us proud to be Mac users again!

Oh yeah.... Not every Mac needs .Mac.
I have 5 and not one of them has it!

ok I feel better.

Parikh1234
Apr 26, 2004, 01:23 AM

I have the money.. and it is burning a hole... But I'll buy a Windows unit before I buy another G4. As BAD as that would be.

ok I feel better.

What are you talking about. The new powerbooks are 10 times better than most notebooks out there. Have fun with your windows laptop.

MikeAtari
Apr 26, 2004, 08:59 AM

ok I feel better.

You have forgotten that progress doesn't stop with the G5.
There will be a G6, in a laptop.
I'd rather buy the last G4 and get the second or third gen G5 or the first G6( the Dual Processor on a chip 976 -- in a laptop ).
So, for me the first version of the G5 isn't my goal,
and a purchase of the last G4 isn't a problem because I'm at the end of my computer's life cycle and can use a 300% increase in performance, plus the graphics bump.

Oh, and I do have .Mac and you ought to check out what you get with the product. AV and Backup software, are easily worth the price.
.Mac is one of those product where most people don't NEED it,
but when you get it you won't ever want to not have it again.
I share pictures and Video EASILY, because if the integration into the ILife products on the web and save a considerable amount of TIME.

No, you don't need a G5 or .Mac but both are Great.

itsa
Apr 26, 2004, 05:02 PM
What are you talking about. The new powerbooks are 10 times better than most notebooks out there. Have fun with your windows laptop.

What are You talking about?? The average notebook prossing speed is 2.5gig. With most above that. http://www.pcmall.com/ ... take a look.

I would never have fun with a windows laptop. That's because I have Thousands of dollors wrapped up in Pro Apple programs. Catch 22!

The truth is.. I need to be able to do my work faster. And yes the newer notebooks would help with that. But not enough to NOT wait for G5's. Even if that's another year off.
And I refuse to buy a new out-dated G5 desktop for the same price as they had them for 6+ months ago.

I will buy a new desktop as soon as they bump the speeds and I will buy a new notebook when a G5 come around.

I do love my Mac's.. Just not proud of Apple right now.

take no offense... just speaking what I feel.

itsa
Apr 26, 2004, 05:04 PM
Oh, and I do have .Mac and you ought to check out what you get with the product. AV and Backup software, are easily worth the price.
.Mac is one of those product where most people don't NEED it,
but when you get it you won't ever want to not have it again.

Been there, done that... Did not care for it..Even when it was free.

pgwalsh
Apr 26, 2004, 06:16 PM
Guess I'm going to be one of those suckers. Was going to wait for the G5, but I need the computer yesterday. I could go PC, but wont. I'm thinking 15" 1.5Ghz with 1.5 GB of RAM and the Radeon Mobility 9700 128mb. So I may or may not be a sucker... I'm not sure how much faster the 1.6 G5 is than the 1.5 Ghz G4. Even the, a laptop will be slower...

Now maybe some advice.... Should I get Apples 80GG 5400RPM hd or get the stock drive and opt for an aftermarket 80 to 100 @ 7200RPM or just get an external FW drive for video... not that I'm going to do a lot a video, just some...

itsa
Apr 26, 2004, 07:05 PM
Guess I'm going to be one of those suckers.

I guess I really should restate that. If you need a apple notebook the new line is far better than anything in the past. Even the price. So if you don't have one and you need one.... sucker would be a bit much.

If you have a Ti notebook and you get a new one just to be upgrading... SUCKER is dead on.

:0)

There is a reason they are not selling well! I think if Apple said out right it's going to be a year or more before G5's they would sell much better. Being on the not knowing side of things, I'm going to wait.