PDA

View Full Version : New PowerBooks this Week?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Mar 29, 2004, 06:25 AM
PowerPage claims (http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11921) that Apple will be releasing new G4 PowerBooks this week.

According to the site, the new machines will retain the Aluminum form factor, and have improved graphic cards and hard drives.

PowerPage has not historically been particularly accurate.

nargot
Mar 29, 2004, 06:28 AM
PowerPage claims (http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11921) that Apple will be releasing new G4 PowerBooks this week.

According to the site, the new machines will retain the Aluminum form factor, and have improved graphic cards and hard drives.

Lets just see if this is just a hype about the 'tuesday release dates' or not'

robbieduncan
Mar 29, 2004, 06:29 AM

Based on the speculation of no new PowerMacs upgrades to the portable line make sense. For the upper level PowerBooks which are already on Radeon Mobility 9600s the only realy upgrade is to a Mobility 9700. This is not really a lot faster. In terms of hard drives PowerBooks already ship with up to 80Gb drives which is near the top of mobile capacity, even in the PC world. Perhaps we will see 5400rpm as the default and an option for 7200rpm drives (although the only one of these that I've seen is a 60Gb Hitachi so you would loose a lot of space)

Stella
Mar 29, 2004, 06:38 AM
blah blah blah.

G5 PB out the week after.

blah blah blah blah

aswitcher
Mar 29, 2004, 06:46 AM

They are saying 2 more G4 revs before G5. If this were true, then clearly no G5s until next year...possibly mid next year...

If this rumor is true I ask myself whether I would be tempted to switch to one. Processor speed bump, video card bump, better hard drive... all nice if true. I guess I will wait and see if they get released this week before I ponder this too deeply! :p

firestarter
Mar 29, 2004, 06:52 AM
Based on the speculation of no new PowerMacs upgrades to the portable line make sense. For the upper level PowerBooks which are already on Radeon Mobility 9600s the only realy upgrade is to a Mobility 9700. This is not really a lot faster. In terms of hard drives PowerBooks already ship with up to 80Gb drives which is near the top of mobile capacity, even in the PC world. Perhaps we will see 5400rpm as the default and an option for 7200rpm drives (although the only one of these that I've seen is a 60Gb Hitachi so you would loose a lot of space)

How much hotter are the 7200s?

Seems like the 12inch is already near its heat dissipation limit - I don't think a hotter drive would work there (and most of the heat comes from the drive not the processor).

Could we see Motorola's new G4s with their lower power dissipation?

Paolo Pinkel
Mar 29, 2004, 07:01 AM
oh ya! bla bla bla... or next week... or sooner.... or never...

robbieduncan
Mar 29, 2004, 07:09 AM
How much hotter are the 7200s?

Seems like the 12inch is already near its heat dissipation limit - I don't think a hotter drive would work there (and most of the heat comes from the drive not the processor).

Could we see Motorola's new G4s with their lower power dissipation?

7200rpm laptop drives are not meant to be a lot hotter than 5400rpm ones. The big problem here is that the 12" is not available with a 5400rpm drive at the moment. My comments were generally aimed at the 15" and 17" models. I do not expect the 12" to get a Mobility 9700 or a 7200rpm drive.

Often linked to and oldish Toms Hardware Article (http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20031031/index.html)

Raveny
Mar 29, 2004, 07:17 AM
you know what...
powerpage was right as they claimed that new powerbooks will shown at the paris macexpo. And they now that powerbooks will feature a ati card with 64 mb... let's see what happens. But G4 chips for the next next revision? i doubt that they reach 1.8 Ghz at all...

h_harker
Mar 29, 2004, 07:26 AM
Powerbook revisions this week would restore peoples faith in you apple, do it for the non-believers, and we know there are more and more of those around these days. Heres some handy hints from a not so technically minded-excitable computer fan.

A larger processor with a larger hard drive, oo oo and a slightly bigger screen please, yeah i suppose a higher resolution would be a bonus, a better graphics card? i wouldnt say no... a tad more ram would be welcomed, as would a free bluetooth mouse for those of us with big hands, and do you know what id really love- id love it to be cheaper as well...and lighter.

any of the above would go down nicely, and you would have my business (to the tune of £2000+), for the first time apple- would that go down well with YOU?!

(PS i only really want the new revision because no-one else has it in the office- i dont mind whats inside it, im sure it will be enough for little old me)

(PPS anyone in the UK know a good (and cheap) insurer for brand spanking new powerbooks)

Trowaman
Mar 29, 2004, 07:28 AM
I find it silly that some of you are upset on the upgrade just because it is not a G5. I mean, towermacs ended at 1.42, so I would find it extremely likely that all the the other Apple products will follow suit and end at that mark as well. Baby steps people. Besides, do u honestly beleive the new build of the G5 could fit in a Powerbook? I don't. So let's just wait and have Apple do what we want, get it right.

stefman
Mar 29, 2004, 07:45 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate Apple for keeping everyone guessing on a weekly basis.

For a while now, there hasn't been any solid and accurate rumors. Steve really managed to plug those leaks I tell ya.

I, for one, look forward to every Tuesday of the week :D

klaus
Mar 29, 2004, 07:52 AM
Haha, yes, idd, my week is at its higlight on tuesday morning, and from then on it goes downwards :D and then upwards again from monday night.

I like this guessing game alot ;)

JtheLemur
Mar 29, 2004, 08:09 AM
Off-topic... anyone remember when PowerPage was a decent site? Boy, that was back in the day. So sad - barely a single comment on any of the stories, etc. :( PowerPage, I used to love thee!

Stella
Mar 29, 2004, 08:11 AM
They are as bad as MacWhispers.com. Don't rest in peace.

Off-topic... anyone remember when PowerPage was a decent site? Boy, that was back in the day. So sad - barely a single comment on any of the stories, etc. :( PowerPage, I used to love thee!

JtheLemur
Mar 29, 2004, 08:15 AM
They are as bad as MacWhispers.com. Don't rest in peace.

... and what's more... ghastly? ... is that whole JackWhispers.com/AdZoox situation that I'm not sure was ever resolved in regards to Jack himself's whole role in all of it. Some people. http://www.jackwhispers.com/

atari1356
Mar 29, 2004, 08:16 AM
If this is true, I'll likely take the plunge and buy the 15". I'd much rather invest in a G5 PowerBook... but if they're doing a revision with the G4 then the G5's aren't going to be out for a while yet, and I can't wait much longer.

I wonder what the processor speeds will top out as? 1.42Ghz? 1.5?

Savage Henry
Mar 29, 2004, 08:24 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate Apple for keeping everyone guessing on a weekly basis.

For a while now, there hasn't been any solid and accurate rumors. Steve really managed to plug those leaks I tell ya.

:D ahaha!

I'd laugh even so long as Jobs held the last laugh with a hardware release that would blow my pants away. :eek:

stingerman
Mar 29, 2004, 08:27 AM
Motorola did release the 1.5 GHz 7447A not too long ago, so I wonder if Apple will be able to take it to 1.6 or 1.7 GHz?

eSnow
Mar 29, 2004, 08:32 AM
I have a hard time believing this rumor. For once, two G4 revisions would push back the Powerbook G5 at least till January. I have a hard time remembering a time when desktop Macs were twice as fast by clock cycle and four times as powerful. This would be the case if the went with 1.42Ghz now and 1.5Ghz in fall with the towers reaching 3Ghz in fall.

Then HD capacity. I have not yet found any manufacturer offering more than 80GB per disk, which is where the Powerbook is right now.

Then the chips. The revised 7447 Moto announced a month ago are not yet available, they are set to debut in Mai to August.

I still hope for PowerBook G5's in summer, I ache to replace the rather oldish Ti/400, but the 7447 is not powerful enough :/

emotion
Mar 29, 2004, 08:46 AM
we're more than likely gonna get a minor bump in specs (as pc vendors do every few weeks, but i digress). the uk refurb shop's wierd opening times and glut of current models is the clue i'm basing this on.

Bilvox
Mar 29, 2004, 08:58 AM
if only for two reasons I hope either this tuesday or next we see a powerbook update.
1. I can finally ditch my g3 wallstreet
2. you and my good friends can stop hearing me talk about me holding out for a new speed bump, upgrade etc... "I got a feeling that this next week..." and of course the ever popular... "when I finally get my new PB15..."

I must say it would make sense in the next 7-10 days seeing the new upgraded machines available, especially with the new financial quarter just about here.

cheers
-bv

Bear
Mar 29, 2004, 08:59 AM

PowerPage has not historically been particularly accurate.Odd as it may sound, I'd be happy with another round of G4 Powerbooks. It's about time for mine to get replaced.

I hope this rumor is true. Also, if you think about it, The Powerbook doesn't have a memory deal like the desktop machines do, so maybe it is next in line for incremental upgrades.

Also, maybe it would have a faster superdrive as well as the other possible incremental changes.

atari1356
Mar 29, 2004, 09:03 AM
Then the chips. The revised 7447 Moto announced a month ago are not yet available, they are set to debut in Mai to August.

Do you have proof of when the revised Motorola chips were shipping? I looked up a couple of older stories, and they don't say specific dates:

From this article (http://www.theregister.com/content/39/35749.html) on The Register: According to Motorola, the 1.42GHz 7447A is shipping in sample quantities to "selected customers" for $245 a go, in batches of 10,000 CPUs. Volume production was not confirmed, but is likely to be reached during Q2 or Q3, we'd say.

Sounds very speculative... so, if this rumor is true, hopefully the 7447a's are in.

Here's another related article (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1539135,00.asp), although it doesn't give any info on when that processor will be in use.

Bear
Mar 29, 2004, 09:07 AM
Do you have proof of when the revised Motorola chips were shipping? I looked up a couple of older stories, and they don't say specific dates:

From this article (http://www.theregister.com/content/39/35749.html) on The Register: According to Motorola, the 1.42GHz 7447A is shipping in sample quantities to "selected customers" for $245 a go, in batches of 10,000 CPUs. Volume production was not confirmed, but is likely to be reached during Q2 or Q3, we'd say.

Sounds very speculative... so, if this rumor is true, hopefully the 7447a's are in.

Here's another related article (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1539135,00.asp), although it doesn't give any info on when that processor will be in use.Actually based on that, Apple could have enough processors for a while. I mean how many batchs of 10,000 would they need to meet production demands?

Although I suspect that if this is the processor that Apple uses next and new Powerbooks come out this week, people who want their system shipped rather soon should order right away.

mrgreen4242
Mar 29, 2004, 09:35 AM
Well, I really hope that they improve the 12" as well as the top of the line systems. They don't really even need to increase the 12" cpu speed, just go to the 166mhz fsb and 333mhz ram, and also upgrade the video card (the GeForce5200Go is pretty weak, imo). Would be nice if they changed from 256megs onboard to 2-DIMM slots as well. Basically I want the current 15" in a 12" case. :) Of course, a 1.25ghz or something wouldn't be completely unwelcomed... :)

Rob

eclipse525
Mar 29, 2004, 09:41 AM
If it's true, it's lame. I'm tired of all these stupid little performance increments. It's all marketing bullCrap to squeeze out as much of the G4 line as possible and people get sucked into that marketing trick. I say they shouldn't bother and wait alittle longer till it's something substantial. Let's say, like the "G5 PB". IMO...

~e

Tomaz
Mar 29, 2004, 09:42 AM
Would be amazing if that were true. I much rather want a truly optimized PBG4 than the first version of the PBG5. And I wanna buy now, not in a year.
Just hope for quicker superdrive, quicker HD, ATI9700 and 1.5 GHz.
Is the new IBM G4 Chip less energy consumptive? Can we expect more battery life?

Anyway, Yippeee! (hopefully ;) )

morkintosh
Mar 29, 2004, 09:45 AM
Seems like the 12inch is already near its heat dissipation limit -

I love my 12" for all nighters, when the sun start coming up I just fry my eggs on the left-front side and keep on working ...

eSnow
Mar 29, 2004, 09:45 AM
Actually based on that, Apple could have enough processors for a while. I mean how many batchs of 10,000 would they need to meet production demands?

Roughly one per day .
According to this Think Secret link (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/appleq2idc.html) , Apple was selling around 216.000 laptops in Q2/03 - I believe numbers should be higher now.

Of course, as shown by the iPod mini where they obviously bought one or two 10K hard disk batches, one never knows with Apple - but the more likely thing is they wait for volume production to release products based on those chips.

johnnyjibbs
Mar 29, 2004, 09:46 AM
I would have thought something new will arirve tomorrow. Either PowerMacs and PowerBook G4s, or Power Macs followed by PowerBooks and iBooks soon.

_pb_boi
Mar 29, 2004, 09:53 AM
Argh!

I'm going to the USA on 13th April, and what'll I be picking up? A pb 12in while I'm there. I'm well scared now - they're gonna update within weeks after, even if it's only a minor speed bump - should I go ahead with the purchase? It's only because of the exchange rate between USA and UK that I can afford it. What do you reckon? Or should I wait, and swallow the 90USD minimum shipping charge to the UK? I'd probably order from macmall.com if I order online.

Andy

mrgreen4242
Mar 29, 2004, 10:05 AM
I love my 12" for all nighters, when the sun start coming up I just fry my eggs on the left-front side and keep on working ...

rofl. That hot is it? I've heard they were scorthers, but haven't used the 12" PB myself.

Isn't the new Moto G4 supposed to run cooler at hight clock speeds?

Rob

DreaminDirector
Mar 29, 2004, 10:08 AM
I, too, am going to by the next update with or without the G5. And I agree with Tomaz which I'd rather buy an optimized problemless Rev C G4 PB instead of a buggy Rev A G5. I just wish that one of these rumors of updates were true.....

mrgreen4242
Mar 29, 2004, 10:08 AM
I forgot to ask, but do you guys think that the price structure will stay the same, go up, or go down? I'm guessing it would go down slightly, as this won't be a huge upgrade, so alot of the compenents (case, psu, screen, memory, etc) won't change, and should go down in price. (Hm... if it went down just a tad I sould afford a 12" combo, 15gb iPod, and a 512MB aftermarket ram upgrade!)

Rob

tangenjm@mcmast
Mar 29, 2004, 10:10 AM
The powerbook trade-in program ended on the 27th of March - of course they will upgrade the PB line tomorrow! As well, the consumer laptop line is far too close to the pro line right now. All signs point to a speed bump tomorrow.

klaus
Mar 29, 2004, 10:12 AM
I just wish that one of these rumors of updates were true.....

True, everytime a rumor about a possible update comes to my sight.. I get my hopes up, and to this date, none came true (except the drop in displayprice, but not completely -> rebate when purchased with G5).

It makes me tired.. off course, this isn't apple's problem, since they have nothing to do with these rumorsites..but still :(

atari1356
Mar 29, 2004, 10:15 AM
Here's my speculation on what the new SuperDrive models will be. (hopefully with faster SuperDrives, and a small drop in price as shown)

12" SuperDrive
$1,699.00
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
1.25GHz PowerPC G4 (Motorola 7447, 167MHz FSB)
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA/100
ATI Mobility Radeon
9600 (64MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard???
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme Ready
Mini-DVI out

15" SuperDrive
$2,499.00
15.2-inch TFT Display
1280x854 resolution
1.42GHz PowerPC G4 (Motorola 7447A)
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA/100 (5400RPM)
ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 (128MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400 & 800
AirPort Extreme built-in
DVI & S-Video out

17" SuperDrive
$2,899.00
17-inch TFT Display
1440x900 resolution
1.5GHz PowerPC G4 (Motorola 7447A)
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 (128MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400 & 800
AirPort Extreme built-in
DVI & S-Video out

Snowy_River
Mar 29, 2004, 10:18 AM
I would have thought something new will arirve tomorrow. Either PowerMacs and PowerBook G4s, or Power Macs followed by PowerBooks and iBooks soon.

Well, given the current discounts, etc., I really wouldn't hold your breath for the PowerMac being updated too soon.

eSnow
Mar 29, 2004, 10:19 AM
Here's my speculation on what the new SuperDrive models will be. (hopefully with faster SuperDrives, and a small drop in price as shown)

Can you say "lackluster"?

atari1356
Mar 29, 2004, 10:22 AM
Can you say "lackluster"?

"Lackluster" compared to the current models... yeah, just some minor improvements.

"Lackluster" compared to my 500MHz Pismo? Not at all, I'd buy the 15"

The current 15" just doesn't seem like that good of a value, but those improvements would be enough for me to drop the cash on one.

rdowns
Mar 29, 2004, 10:28 AM

12" SuperDrive
$1,699.00
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA/100
ATI Mobility Radeon
9600 (64MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard???
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme Ready
Mini-DVI out

15" SuperDrive
$2,499.00
15.2-inch TFT Display
1280x854 resolution
1.42GHz PowerPC G4 (Motorola 7447A)
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 (128MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400 & 800
AirPort Extreme built-in
DVI & S-Video out

17" SuperDrive
$2,899.00
17-inch TFT Display
1440x900 resolution
1.5GHz PowerPC G4 (Motorola 7447A)
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 (128MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400 & 800
AirPort Extreme built-in
DVI & S-Video out

Just where are the 1.5 chips coming from? The 1.4s are shipping in sample quantities only and the 1.5s are not supposed to ship until late summer.

DreaminDirector
Mar 29, 2004, 10:29 AM
True, the updates may be lackluster, but they're also a new update, which I'd rather buy over a model that has been sitting around for over 6 months.

Stoffel
Mar 29, 2004, 10:31 AM
Yea, come on. I _need_ a 12" with backlit keyboard. The sooner the better. The g4 is a good cpu. I don't bother about a g5 in the pb. This will not happen this year, I guess.

atari1356
Mar 29, 2004, 10:34 AM
Just where are the 1.5 chips coming from? The 1.4s are shipping in sample quantities only and the 1.5s are not supposed to ship until late summer.

Just hopeful I guess. If the 15" models go from 1.25GHz to only 1.33GHz, that would be pretty disappointing. I don't see why they don't just put the fastest processor available in all 3 sizes of PowerBooks, or at least make it a build-to-order option.

ZildjianKX
Mar 29, 2004, 10:41 AM
Motorola did release the 1.5 GHz 7447A not too long ago, so I wonder if Apple will be able to take it to 1.6 or 1.7 GHz?

Ya mean overclock them like they did the powermacs? :)

Bear
Mar 29, 2004, 10:52 AM
Ya mean overclock them like they did the powermacs? :)The CPUs that Apple use are rated (and marked) for the CPU speed they use them at.

Go read up on how processor chips are tested (been discussed at length in other threads previuously) and then speed rated.

Bear
Mar 29, 2004, 10:56 AM
Roughly one per day .
According to this Think Secret link (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/appleq2idc.html) , Apple was selling around 216.000 laptops in Q2/03 - I believe numbers should be higher now.

Of course, as shown by the iPod mini where they obviously bought one or two 10K hard disk batches, one never knows with Apple - but the more likely thing is they wait for volume production to release products based on those chips.If you presume all 216,000 laptops are Powerbooks and will all use the new chips, then it's rought 10,000 pieces every 3 or 4 days. I suspect with that many laptops, it's probably 10,000 every 10 days or so. So, they may be able to get enough in sample batches to go 2 or 3 months until volume production kicks in.

ffakr
Mar 29, 2004, 11:00 AM
Based on the speculation of no new PowerMacs upgrades to the portable line make sense. For the upper level PowerBooks which are already on Radeon Mobility 9600s the only realy upgrade is to a Mobility 9700. This is not really a lot faster.

This is actually quite uninformed. The Mobility 9700 is quite a bit faster than the Mobility 9600. The Mobility 9700 competes very favorably with the Deskop Radeon 9600 cards.. making it, by far, the fastest mobile video chipset.
http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040203/index.html

In some of the benchmarks at Tom's Hardware, the Mob 9700 was marginally faster than the Mob 9600, but in quite a few others it was 25% to 30% faster than the Mobility 9700. In gaming, this can often be the difference between smooth and annoyingly unplayable (which it proved to be)

ffakr
Mar 29, 2004, 11:04 AM
The CPUs that Apple use are rated (and marked) for the CPU speed they use them at.

Go read up on how processor chips are tested (been discussed at length in other threads previuously) and then speed rated.

It's almost fruitless to try to explain this at some point. Some people just insist on believing that Apple shipped overclocked machines when the chips in the Macs were properly graded by Moto at Apple's published speed.

The reality was, Moto was publicly announcing availability of one speed level to buyers (1.3 I believe) but shipping 1.42s to Apple. No one bothered to consider that Apple got ALL the 1.42s because of Moto's poor yields and Moto didn't need to advertise an unavailable speed grade to other potential customers.

Stoffel
Mar 29, 2004, 11:06 AM
I wonder, if this rumor will stay a page 2 one. Is powerpage the only source hinting at new pbs tomorrow?

Bear
Mar 29, 2004, 11:12 AM
I wonder, if this rumor will stay a page 2 one. Is powerpage the only source hinting at new pbs tomorrow?It doesn't matter if it stays Page 2 or not. Some page 2 rumors have become true without enough reliable sources to promote them to Page 1 rumors.

All that really matters is what actually happens tomorrow.

Stoffel
Mar 29, 2004, 11:24 AM
It doesn't matter if it stays Page 2 or not. Some page 2 rumors have become true without enough reliable sources to promote them to Page 1 rumors.

All that really matters is what actually happens tomorrow.

sure, but Arn normally knows what he is doing..... So, I think, he does not trust in this rumor very much.

morkintosh
Mar 29, 2004, 11:24 AM

I'd heard that too, and was surprised at how hot that 12" PB gets ... although I suspect that it has a lot to do with the disk as that corner of the PB is the warmest. I've noticed that my iPod gets a little warmer than I would have thought after long use.

rueyeet
Mar 29, 2004, 11:37 AM
When Apple manages to get a G5 into a PowerBook, I figure that will finally update enough technologies over the old TiBook to perhaps justify an upgrade (especially since this would also mean Panther and the new iLife! wheeee!). Luckily, as a non-pro user, I'm quite happy with the TiBook and can wait as long as need be. :)

MikeAtari
Mar 29, 2004, 11:46 AM
I agree with Tomaz.
- I've to an oldish 500mhzPB.
If a new PB g5 comes out, I'm not sure I want version 1. at least till it's 3 months old, as to see the reliability reports.

Buying strategy:
- 2004: Buy, the next revision of the PB G4 -- hopefully 1.5.
- 2005: buy the 20 inch display -- that I can use with the PB.
- 2006: buy a new G5 976 desktop -- based upon the Dual Core IBM Power6.
- 2007: buy a new IBook w/o superdrive, for portability, as I've got a great desktop.

Ah, that was a great dream. ;)

pgwalsh
Mar 29, 2004, 12:04 PM
I find it silly that some of you are upset on the upgrade just because it is not a G5. I mean, towermacs ended at 1.42, so I would find it extremely likely that all the the other Apple products will follow suit and end at that mark as well. Baby steps people. Besides, do u honestly beleive the new build of the G5 could fit in a Powerbook? I don't. So let's just wait and have Apple do what we want, get it right.Well, I understand that you may be tired of hearing people ask for G5 PowerBooks, but I don't think it's silly for them to ask. The portable line could use a faster/better processor and the G5 seems to be the only future. So, it's not silly, it's great. I also dont think there's anything wrong with wanting it now.. Just because you don't, doesn't mean there's anythign wrong with it. I think the more we ask, that faster we may receive, but we're all aware that it's an engineering feat..... :eek:

wizard
Mar 29, 2004, 12:25 PM
I have to wonder why everyone wants to screw themselves with respect to memory configuration on the 12" machine. Last I knew this was soldered in memory, a good thing on laptops, so why not go directly to 512 meg soldered in.

Some of your other parameters are a toss up but the memory issue has rubbed me the wrong way for some time with repect to Apple products. This is one place where Apple could significantly add to their machines without incuring a huge expense. Instead Apple just milks its current market of dweebs and laughs all the way to the bank. Maybe the continual slid in market share will change their perspective a bit - ya I know not a chance.

Dave

This would produce a very nice machine that would work well with OS/X. It would also be a machine that you could upgrade memory wise without feeling as if it is a losing proposition finacially.

12" SuperDrive
$1,699.00
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA/100
ATI Mobility Radeon
9600 (64MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard???
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme Ready
Mini-DVI out

SiliconAddict
Mar 29, 2004, 12:25 PM
*yawns* Hmm PowerBook revisions? Wake me when the system bus stops being the bottleneck in the system then we will talk about performance. Until then 167Mhz sucks massive horse butt. :( The level of patheticness is staring to creep up in the powerbook line.

Frobozz
Mar 29, 2004, 12:30 PM

No way. Even if they are right about the update this time, there is NO way that Apple has enough steam left in the G4 lineup to do ANOTHER speed bump before the G5 PowerBook. I tend to believe that the G5 PowerBook will be announced at the same time, or near, the updated 3GHz G5 PowerMac.

I think the iMac and iBook will be updated at a consumer oriented "event", with the iMac going G5 and the iBook staying with the G4.

SiliconAddict
Mar 29, 2004, 12:30 PM
I have to wonder why everyone wants to screw themselves with respect to memory configuration on the 12" machine. Last I knew this was soldered in memory, a good thing on laptops, so why not go directly to 512 meg soldered in.

Umm sorry I think you have a typo in your post. Instead of good should be stupid. As in any company that company that soldered memory in is a stupid moronic company. Thankfully you are incorrect. The DIMM is in a SO-DIMM slot easily upgradeable.

macridah
Mar 29, 2004, 12:33 PM
i'll be waiting this tues .... crossing fingers.

I won't buy a new powerbook until they come out with the powerbook g5. I just want to see some kind of update.

Zaty
Mar 29, 2004, 12:38 PM
Hm, two more G4 revisions. I don't think so. Even if new PBs were launched tomorrow, we would only see another G4 revision in September/October if PB G5 were not ready for MWSF 05. If Apple can announce G5s at MWSF, they will keep Rev. C until then. (A placeholder upgrade for two or three months doesn't make any sense at all). I think they won't change much, I wouldn't be surprised if the 12" kept the Go5200 w/ 32 MB VRAM and 133 MHz bus speed. No backlit keyboard either. They're not redisigning the PBs they're just upgrading them a bit (faster CPU, perhaps new graphics card for the 15" and the 17").

jxyama
Mar 29, 2004, 12:41 PM
The DIMM is in a SO-DIMM slot easily upgradeable.

not sure what you meant here, but 12" has one SO-DIMM slot open. the other is soldered on 256 MB RAM, not upgradeable...

15"/17" have two SO-DIMM slots...

i agree, if at all possible, 12" should also come with two slots open...

mustang_dvs
Mar 29, 2004, 12:43 PM
Personally, I'm suspicious - although it makes sense that Apple would introduce new Powerbooks now that the trade-in has ended, no one else is pointing to new pro 'Books tomorrow, not even the wholly fictional MOSR. Considering that it also would've made sense for Apple to have introduced speed-bumped G5's by now, I'm very skeptical.

Yeah, I mourn the old Powerpage. The site has turned into a kludgy collection of wacky rumor speculation, un-newsworthy reader posts and cell phone reviews. And the fact that Jason's member login database hasn't worked right in more than two years makes it less than worthwhile to attempt logins or re-registration.

johnnyjibbs
Mar 29, 2004, 01:00 PM
I doubt the 12" PB would go to 1.25 GHz without having a new chip (i.e. not using the current high end 15" chip) because I thinkthe current chip will be too hot. The left palm rest of my 12" PowerBook is normally cool to warm but the only thing that gets remotely hot is the area above the F2 and F3 keys next to the microphone and left side of the hinge - that's where the CPU is. Although you don't touch that part, I can't see it getting much hotter without warping the hinge and bottom of the screen/lid.

tangenjm@mcmast
Mar 29, 2004, 01:03 PM
Given the info on the 7447's:

"At 1.42GHz, the chip consumes 20W of power, Motorola claims, which compares well to the 7447's 21.3W at 1.33GHz. The company also mentions a lower power version of the 7447A that consumes less than 9.3W at 1.167GHz, which seems no better than the old 7447's claimed 7.5W at 1GHz. The low-power 7447A has a core voltage of 1.1V; the regular 7447A runs at 1.3V.

Essentially, the 7447A is a revised 7447, itself a low-power version of the 7457. The 130nm 7447 is currently used by Apple in its PowerBook G4. The iBook is based on the older 7455. The 7447 is a trimmed down version of the 7457, losing the latter's support for external L3 cache. The 7457 and both versions of the 7447 contain 512KB of on-die L2 cache. All three are fabbed using silicon on insulator technology."

. . . wouldn't it run a bit cooler?

elmerfudd
Mar 29, 2004, 02:11 PM
these ppl are selling 64bit ultrasparc III laptop... :eek:
tadpole computers (http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/products/mobile/viper/specifications.html)

...and seem to be crunching an opteron based laptop

so, ::shooting from the hip:: if apple launches anything, it should be a 17" laptop sitting above the current pb range for ppl that can afford the new gadgetry and it's attendant glitches (read niche markets) ... thus ironing out any design flaws in that model before launching onto the lowly powerbooks.

maybe a portable, realtime 3d renderer that integrates live footage into renderman for previews during shooting... or a portable weather forecaster tied to a portable doppler radar that can predict weather conditions 15 minutes before they happen...

aswitcher
Mar 29, 2004, 02:18 PM
Tuesday tick tick tick

I dont think so.

gensor
Mar 29, 2004, 02:43 PM
This is crazy

discoforce
Mar 29, 2004, 02:56 PM
Actually a new PB might make perfect sense NEXT week. I'm buying a refurb this Friday after waiting for months, so an upgrade should be happening just after that... :rolleyes:

MongoTheGeek
Mar 29, 2004, 03:54 PM
What time do the magical tuesday updates show up?

atari1356
Mar 29, 2004, 04:14 PM
What time do the magical tuesday updates show up?

I think it's usually 9a.m. California time... (12p.m. Eastern where I live).

rdowns
Mar 29, 2004, 04:36 PM
rofl. That hot is it? I've heard they were scorthers, but haven't used the 12" PB myself.

Rob

Motorola and higher clock speeds in the same sentence. Man, that looks weird.

And to think, we went with IBM over thses guys. What a bunch of morons.

ThomasJefferson
Mar 29, 2004, 05:26 PM
Wake me when the system bus stops being the bottleneck in the system then we will talk about performance. Until then 167Mhz sucks

Ditto. I can't see the premium price for the performance we are currently getting out of the Powerbook. I plan on buying a new iBook in early August. If the ibook is updated by then, great. If not, such is life.

No G4 powerbook for me. No revision one G5 for me either, so -- I am caught in an iBook reality.

SuperChuck
Mar 29, 2004, 05:35 PM
As others have mentioned, the PB trade-in is expiring.

The memory promo includes just about everything EXCEPT the PBs.

The Brilliant Savings promo only includes the G5's (which really only excludes the PB, 'cause who in their right mind would buy a 23" display to use as a mirror with their eMac, iMac or iBook)

So. The only line Apple isn't helping out with a promotion is the Powerbook line. The Powerbook line is in desperate need of an upgrade. If there are no updates tomorrow, then Apple is really dropping the ball with one of their flagship products.

Something tells me they're not dropping the ball. :cool:

aswitcher
Mar 29, 2004, 05:45 PM
SNIP

So. The only line Apple isn't helping out with a promotion is the Powerbook line. The Powerbook line is in desperate need of an upgrade. If there are no updates tomorrow, then Apple is really dropping the ball with one of their flagship products.

Something tells me they're not dropping the ball. :cool:

The promotion obviously helps them move 23" screens, which I think is there intention versus moving PMs.

As for the PB, I would prefer a G5PB at the same price point (or less ;) in 3-6 months than a G4 bump now (no matter the bells and whistles - its still going to have a bottle neck bus) and nothing else to January 2005...

SuperChuck
Mar 29, 2004, 05:47 PM
The promotion obviously helps them move 23" screens, which I think is there intention versus moving PMs.

If their goal was to move screens, why not include the Powerbook in the promotion?

El Duderino
Mar 29, 2004, 05:53 PM
i am a complete newb to the whole apple world. i have been reading forums, reviews and talking to other people around my school with macs and have decided to get the next update of the 15" PB, i dont really care what the speed is becuase im pretty much just going to use it for when i go to college in the fall (photojournalism). the most ill be doing on it is adobe photoshop...and maybe some light Premiere. i still have a P4 3.0ghz HT so i can do the heavy stuff on there. from what i hear a mac laptop is going to be most reliable. this i prolly the wrong place to asked for some unbiased information but if anyone thinks i should do otherwise please let me know.

MY FIRST POST! :D

a17inchFuture
Mar 29, 2004, 05:57 PM
I too would much rather have a G5 PB come out in june than a g4 patch and the books come outate. If for some reason the G5 PB wont be available for 6-8 months, they should tell people, give them a bit of roadmap, for our own lives.

a17inchFuture
Mar 29, 2004, 05:59 PM
Werent the moto chips not gonna be availabe for 3-6 months or something? Because that would be June, and at that point a g4 patch would piss people off, I feel.

Me thinks g5's soon

aswitcher
Mar 29, 2004, 06:05 PM
If their goal was to move screens, why not include the Powerbook in the promotion?

Its a good question.

Some possible answers

Maybe the Applecare on the PB isn't really enough to stretch to the screen as well, PBs having more problems than PMs...coudl be valid

They plan to release new PMs and a whole new line of Screens, and so they are clearing the decks of both...which is most likely

No new PBs for release (maybe only announcement) at WWDC, so no pressure to clear the PB lines just yet... :( which is also likely and unfortunate

They don't sell that many 23"s with PBs and so didn't bother premoting that...(reaching I know)

So maybe I should say that its aimed at both 23" and PMs..., but mostly 23"s because of a glut

SuperChuck
Mar 29, 2004, 06:40 PM
i am a complete newb to the whole apple world. i have been reading forums, reviews and talking to other people around my school with macs and have decided to get the next update of the 15" PB, i dont really care what the speed is becuase im pretty much just going to use it for when i go to college in the fall (photojournalism). the most ill be doing on it is adobe photoshop...and maybe some light Premiere. i still have a P4 3.0ghz HT so i can do the heavy stuff on there. from what i hear a mac laptop is going to be most reliable. this i prolly the wrong place to asked for some unbiased information but if anyone thinks i should do otherwise please let me know.

Well, since it's your first post, I guess few people will fault you for for putting it here as opposed to the Powerbook section of the buyer's guide, which is probably where it belongs. And now that I'm done being a jerk, I'll offer my 2 cents:

1. The Mac will be more reliable because the OS is far more stable than Windows. I know a handful of people who would beg to differ with me on that, but I also know a lot more people who spend half their day pressing ctrl-alt-delete and/or manually rebooting their Windows computers. I don't know anyone who runs a recent version of OS X that experiences frequent crashes. I've crashed twice in the past year and I use my computer constantly for just about everything.

2. You're going to college. As someone who has been to college, I can tell you that much of your time will be spent in search of extra-curricular activities. Chicks dig macs. Especially the Powerbooks. No one is going to stop to ogle your Compaq. Many will take notice of your Powerbook. And should you be after something other than chicks, those guys dig macs, too.

3. Photoshop and Premiere are among the most processor-intensive applications that are in widespread use. A Powerbook can handle both just fine, but neither is a lightweight app. Get lots of RAM and you'll be fine. Also, consider switching from Premiere to Final Cut. The express version is cheap and can probably handle anything you would need. Premiere has been discontinued for the Mac, mainly because Final Cut Pro kicks its behind.

Good luck with your new PB. You're going to love it. Just be aware that once you go Mac, you'll never want to go back, and Mac habits can be a bit expensive.

invaLPsion
Mar 29, 2004, 06:41 PM
Does anybody have any information about stocks of powerbooks at big resellers?

I sincerely hope for those waiting for powerbooks that Apple will come through with that 1.5GHz powerbook g4. That would be a nice upgrade.

I hope all those waiting for powerbooks hope for those waiting for powermacs, too.

;)

Naimfan
Mar 29, 2004, 07:18 PM
Inva--

Clubmac lists 705 15" 1.25 Ghz PBs in stock, along with 334 of the 1GHz 15". They also have ~250 12" PBs and 230 17" PBs. That is an awful lot of inventory at a major reseller to introduce new models on, don't you think?

On a related note, I consistently see PBs being sold at the Apple store in Cherry Creek, CO...

Best,

Bob

invaLPsion
Mar 29, 2004, 07:37 PM
Inva--

Clubmac lists 705 15" 1.25 Ghz PBs in stock, along with 334 of the 1GHz 15". They also have ~250 12" PBs and 230 17" PBs. That is an awful lot of inventory at a major reseller to introduce new models on, don't you think?

On a related note, I consistently see PBs being sold at the Apple store in Cherry Creek, CO...

Best,

Bob

I don't know Bob. Those stocks seem low enough too me to release new models. Remember they can still sell those models at lower prices, they don't wait until the stock is at zero.

For example, when the dual 1.8 was released, Clubmac had over 2000 units of the single 1.8 left in stock.

Naimfan
Mar 29, 2004, 07:45 PM
Inva--

I didn't know the stock situation with the 1.8s when the dual 1.8 came out--thanks. I've been sort of keeping track of Clubmacs stock level; they seem to be selling something like 25-30 a week of the 15" 1.25 GHz models. Of course, you're correct about them selling at a lower price--make them $2299, with new ones at $2599, and I bet they'd sell quite well....

I can believe a PB update is coming, just not that it would be very....dramatic. And I'm in the group that thinks G5 PBs are a ways off...

Best,

Bob

invaLPsion
Mar 29, 2004, 07:50 PM
Inva--

I didn't know the stock situation with the 1.8s when the dual 1.8 came out--thanks. I've been sort of keeping track of Clubmacs stock level; they seem to be selling something like 25-30 a week of the 15" 1.25 GHz models. Of course, you're correct about them selling at a lower price--make them $2299, with new ones at $2599, and I bet they'd sell quite well....

I can believe a PB update is coming, just not that it would be very....dramatic. And I'm in the group that thinks G5 PBs are a ways off...

Best,

Bob

No problem.

Here's to a Pro update tomorrow! :)

El Duderino
Mar 29, 2004, 08:01 PM
Here's to a Pro update tomorrow! :)

i hate getting my hopes up only to be dashed by false rumors, please let this not be the case. im getting exhausted from all this guessing :(

AngryLawnGnome
Mar 29, 2004, 08:51 PM
I wish they'd just stop the new computer creation. My powerbook used to be the bomb, but now it's outdated and sitting at the Apple store for 7-10 business days. Either that or I wish I could be filthy rich and buy a new computer every time one comes out! :D

mrgreen4242
Mar 29, 2004, 09:20 PM
Inva--

Best,

Bob

This isn't anything scientific, or official, or even from the 'inside'... but, when I went to CompUSA a few weeks ago (getting some DVD-Rs, which happened to be near the Mac displays) they had just about every model of Mac sitting out to look at and play with. Every machine was powered up and running, either a quicktime iPod ad, or a movie trailer, etc. When I went early last week (they were out of the on sale DVD-Rs :( ) I noticed that only the 12" and 14" iBook were out and on, and of the 4 PowerBook displays that they used to have out, only one was still there, and it was unplugged... like it was getting ready to be unlocked and pulled with the rest.

Seemed really odd to me... like they were out of stock and preparing to upgrade the floor models maybe? Send the old ones back to Apple to sell int he refurb store? Seemed kinda wierd to me that they wouldn't have displays out of some, presumably, high profit sale items. I didn't have a chance to talk to a sale associate and see if they had any in the back as my wife was already ftap-ing (thats impatient foot tapping to all yo non MUDers out there).

Anyways, just something that I noticed and your question reminded me of. Probably means nothing. :)

Rob

macdong
Mar 29, 2004, 10:02 PM
no G5, no buy.
if a PowerBook G5 does not come out before this fall, i'll get an iBook.

discoforce
Mar 29, 2004, 10:25 PM
Smalldog Electronics is getting its quarterly shipment of refurbs in this Friday including 15" & 12" PBs. They're also listing getting more refurbs in on 4/20.

I'm not sure this means anything at all, but since we're discussing recent changes at resellers and everyone's throwing in their recent Apple-related behavioral observations - I thought I would add to the overwhelming evidence that:

Something will happen soon!
:p

(So how many hours till they announce?)

pigwin32
Mar 29, 2004, 10:36 PM
About time we had a new PB rumour, guess you've got to give Powerpage credit for generating some discussion activity here.

I think I might consider buying a new PB after swearing I would wait for the G5. The price point should be competitive to get the G5 PB hold-outs to open their wallets. A larger, faster hard drive standard, more RAM standard, and a higher-res screen/card combination say 1920 x 1200 15.4"/Radeon 9700 to at least match the Dell Inspiron xps (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_xps). Otherwise the specs look ok to me.

Performance-wise it's looking like a big ask to deliver a G5 PB that comes in way ahead of the current crop of G4 PB's. I guess there will by necessity be hardware changes that will allow existing bottle-necks to be addressed but realistically are we being unrealistic in our expectations of the G5 PB's?

Bakafish
Mar 30, 2004, 12:59 AM
I placed my trade in order on Thursday. One thing I would point out about it, it was timed to expire before the end of the quarter, if new PB's are coming out tomorrow I doubt it has a direct correlation. As evidence I quote part of the agreement:

To accept the offer and be eligible for the discount, customers must send in their computer and it must be received atAppleís warehouse within thirty (30) days from the date credit card details for the new computer purchase are provided to Apple.

This means that smart people will be able to wait an additional several weeks beyond the expiration of the offer to actually get the order into the pipe. I'm hoping that new stuff is announced in the next couple of weeks, but if not I will live. I can still back out of the deal by not sending in my old TiBook too.

h_harker
Mar 30, 2004, 04:28 AM
so updates may occur later today, at 9am " central american time" where they design/ organise these things- what does this mean in the good old GMT? when would the online store shutdown, prior to there being updates? and if there are updates, do those of us outside the US reap the benefit at the same time?

any advice will make my morning go faster (or slower) while i sit here...waiting.

" good things come to those who....."

aswitcher
Mar 30, 2004, 04:32 AM
so updates may occur later today, at 9am " central american time" where they design/ organise these things- what does this mean in the good old GMT? when would the online store shutdown, prior to there being updates? and if there are updates, do those of us outside the US reap the benefit at the same time?

any advice will make my morning go faster (or slower) while i sit here...waiting.

" good things come to those who....."

I think its PST 9am...?...its now 2:30AM Tuesday USA PST... 6 and a half hours to go to see nothing happen... :(

mrgreen4242
Mar 30, 2004, 04:42 AM
I think its PST 9am...?...its now 2:30AM Tuesday USA PST... 6 and a half hours to go to see nothing happen... :(

That is correct, but something will happen! I believe this because Steve Jobs wants me to buy a Mac and he knows that I will only do it after he upgrades the Powebooks! :)

sosa
Mar 30, 2004, 05:13 AM
I think I might have done the mistake of the Year... I ordered a 15" Superdrive two weeks ago, and was told by the reseller today that it has arrived. What to do? I donĎt wanna pay top dollar for an outdated product, but I donít wanna put the store in trouble either. Will they be able to return the machine to apple?

thanks for any suggestions...

The Bartender
Mar 30, 2004, 05:45 AM
Considering the powerbooks will even be updated, you will have ten days to return yours to Apple.

sosa
Mar 30, 2004, 06:17 AM
Considering the powerbooks will even be updated, you will have ten days to return yours to Apple.

Even if it was not bought thru the apple store?

CmdrLaForge
Mar 30, 2004, 07:07 AM
No updates this week, Apple store is up and no changes :eek:

mrgreen4242
Mar 30, 2004, 07:08 AM
No updates this week, Apple store is up and no changes :eek:
It's like 5am where apple is located right now... I don't think we are expecting news till after 9am, Apple's local time, which is PST.

Lancetx
Mar 30, 2004, 07:22 AM
It's like 5am where apple is located right now... I don't think we are expecting news till after 9am, Apple's local time, which is PST.

Nah, the last several times they've had updates, the store has always been down by 8am ET. There won't be any updates coming today...

Karim17
Mar 30, 2004, 07:41 AM
this is so lame

apple should anounce ahead of time and just tell us when update are

I'm in the market to renew my last year's 12" PowerBook and would be nice to know when things are actaully coming up so I don't buy outdated product

mgargan1
Mar 30, 2004, 07:42 AM
what are the chances that apple puts SATA hd's in the powerbook? Are there any on the market?

Bear
Mar 30, 2004, 07:53 AM
If Apple is doing a press conference or an announcement tied to a keynote session at a conference, then the product release/store update times are tied to the keynote or press conference.

Otherwise, the Apple store updates usually take place by 8AM Eastern time, finishing at the absolute latest by 9 Eastern.

For reference, Eastern Standard Time is UTC+5 hours and Eastern Dayligh Savings Time is UTC+4. The switch to dyalight savings time is the first weekend in April, and the switch back is the last weekend in October.

denm316
Mar 30, 2004, 07:54 AM
If Apple would just say when the next ones will be released, then I can make my decision to wait or buy now. However there is no chance I am paying full proce for Septembers technology.

Tomaz
Mar 30, 2004, 08:07 AM
While in the beginning I actually enjoyed looking forward to next Tuesday, and next Tuesday, I'm starting to be really annoyed now.

STEVE, RELEASE NEW POWERBOOKS AND END MY MISERY, I wanna go back to normal life !

Bilvox
Mar 30, 2004, 08:23 AM
well in the refurbished - special deals section on the apple.com store there are no 15PBs, no 12PBs, no ibooks, no imac g4 15'', no emacs, no power mac g5s, and no powermac g4s in stock.... could this mean.... and on smalldog.com they have an announcment of inventory changes... could it be???
I tell you If nothing happens until next week I will only be able to stand it cause i am about to leave for vacation on a trip to Holland. But tell Steve Jobs by the time I return I would like to be able to order the newest bump up of 15PB
spanks a lot
-bilvox

http://www.bilvox.com

strictlys
Mar 30, 2004, 08:26 AM
This is taking to long! I definately got my hopes up for the Powerbook update today, but again no update! Why is this taking so long? I'm also waiting to buy the PowerBook. Simply because i don't want to buy a outdated ons (at least soon it will be outdated).

I'm already a little bit frustrated because the prices in the states are about 30% below our prices (the Netherlands) and now with this................i don't know what i'll do! Let there be an update soon, i want my PowerBook! Let Steve show us the stuff!!!

Stella
Mar 30, 2004, 09:32 AM
There should be a new section
"crack pot rumours".

For all those rumours that could not possibily be correct, just like this one.

tangenjm@mcmast
Mar 30, 2004, 09:41 AM
There should be a new section
"crack pot rumours".

For all those rumours that could not possibily be correct, just like this one.

Why not Stella? What leads you to believe the PB line could not possibly be updated today?

tangenjm@mcmast
Mar 30, 2004, 09:53 AM
Powerpage has posted an update <http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11925>.

Tomaz
Mar 30, 2004, 10:06 AM
Has anyone thought about the possibility that all these rumors this week could just be to build up some tension for a April's fools joke by Powerpage on Thursday?

DreaminDirector
Mar 30, 2004, 10:11 AM
Well F* powerpage then, if it's a build up. At least if it was make it alittle more outrageous instead of the specs that we are expecting....

atari1356
Mar 30, 2004, 10:12 AM
Grrr... yesterday it was a definitive this week, now he says "as soon as this week." Lame, very lame.

a17inchFuture
Mar 30, 2004, 10:14 AM
So they are saying that the G% will be released in its plain old Alu case . . . I THINK NOT!!!

Apple always changes the aesthetic of their computers when they release a new line, thus I would HIGHLY doubt any rumor that also claims the alu case wont change for the new PB G5.

So in my opinion, this rumor just became bunk . . . They are probably taking a page out of MOSR's book and making themselves a fictional, but entertaining site.

However, we still have one hour before all of America has hit 9 a.m.

I personally would prefer it to not be soon, but a G5 PB in early summer.

Also, MOSR has an intersting "story" on apple skipping to the 975 "G6" possibly soon, in an effort to meet their 3 Ghz deadline. To me this makes some sense, as I find it weird that the 970FX, which is the newest processor, can only reach 2.6 (maybe), but people are expecting a 3ghz mac in just a few months.

This seems more likely to me . . . that, or either a) we dont get the 3 ghz in SJ's timeframe, or b) we get some ************ about two 2.6's equalling one 3 ghz processor or something.

Stella
Mar 30, 2004, 10:20 AM
Just going by recent history that PowerPage has mentioned New hardware this tuesday quite a few times, and guess what - it hasn't happened.

Its now Tuesday, if there were going to be new PBs... it would have happened. Traditionally this occurs around 8 to 9am EST.

I'm sure PP are just posting these rumours to increase their readership + advertising incoming...

Personally, I think PP has very little creditability left...

Why not Stella? What leads you to believe the PB line could not possibly be updated today?

tangenjm@mcmast
Mar 30, 2004, 10:24 AM
Just going by recent history that PowerPage has mentioned New hardware this tuesday quite a few times, and guess what - it hasn't happened.

Its now Tuesday, if there were going to be new PBs... it would have happened. Traditionally this occurs around 8 to 9am EST.

I'm sure PP are just posting these rumours to increase their readership + advertising incoming...

Personally, I think PP has very little creditability left...

So because it hasn't happened yet - it's now a "crackpot rumour"? You have to admit that it seems at least plausible. No?

SiliconAddict
Mar 30, 2004, 10:37 AM
what are the chances that apple puts SATA hd's in the powerbook? Are there any on the market?

None at all on both questions.

macridah
Mar 30, 2004, 10:46 AM
if there will be an announcement this week, it will be either tomorrow (mar 31) when IBM presents their PowerPC roadmap in their special media event or after. I don't think apple will annouce before that. So the usual tuesday announcements is unlikely THIS week for upgraded powerbooks ... oh hum

Snowy_River
Mar 30, 2004, 11:15 AM
Well, we're past 9AM PST. No updates are apparent. Oh well...

Tomaz
Mar 30, 2004, 11:17 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I was soo looking forward to today!

So, does anyone think we might see updates later this week ?
Or next Tuesday (writing this almost makes me cry.. ;) )

SuperChuck
Mar 30, 2004, 11:22 AM
So how is everybody liking this "great Mac year"?

I think he might have meant to say a "late" Mac year.

SiliconAddict
Mar 30, 2004, 11:40 AM
Only Mac users get this riled up over a rumor. I have to ask why. I never see people drooling over rumored IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony releases. In those cases no one cares about the shell of the laptop its what's inside that people are interested in. Itís a pretty good bet that the shell of any newly released PowerBook won't be any different the last year's model so its not the shell that anyone care about at this point itís the guts of the system. Could it be because the performance of the G4 doesn't meet real world expectations of the system? That Mac users are craving any performance hit they can get at this point. Does this not sound eerily similar to the situation the PowerMac was in preG5?!! Honestly Apple can't come out with a G5 PowerBook soon enough. The specs are starting to hurt them especially in comparison to its Pentium M PC counterpart.

Stella
Mar 30, 2004, 11:55 AM
Now your putting words into my mouth!

I never believed this rumour, as I said previously, I get the impression that PP put stuff like this on their website to increase readership, and no more, just like MacWhispers did last year.

So because it hasn't happened yet - it's now a "crackpot rumour"? You have to admit that it seems at least plausible. No?

slipper
Mar 30, 2004, 12:17 PM
*yawn*

just woke up and why am i not surprised. BUT WAIT, the PowerBook will be released next week april 6th with a G5 processor. This is from our insider source who goes by the name 'slipper' on the macrumors.

El Duderino
Mar 30, 2004, 12:51 PM
apple, if you dont update right now im going to shoot myself in the head with a shotgun...i mean it...really...

ffakr
Mar 30, 2004, 01:00 PM
Only Mac users get this riled up over a rumor. I have to ask why. I never see people drooling over rumored IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony releases. In those cases no one cares about the shell of the laptop its what's inside that people are interested in. Itís a pretty good bet that the shell of any newly released PowerBook won't be any different the last year's model so its not the shell that anyone care about at this point itís the guts of the system. Could it be because the performance of the G4 doesn't meet real world expectations of the system? That Mac users are craving any performance hit they can get at this point. Does this not sound eerily similar to the situation the PowerMac was in preG5?!! Honestly Apple can't come out with a G5 PowerBook soon enough. The specs are starting to hurt them especially in comparison to its Pentium M PC counterpart.
PC users DO get riled up over rumors.. but the camps are divided along different lines. There aren't really rabid Dell or Gateway fans.. because, really.. what's to be such a fan of. Cookie cutter technology doesn't inspire followers.
PC users get riled up over things like the Prescott release, the Athlon64.. the latest $500 video card, the latest shuttle Mini...

Sure, mac users are especially hurting because the G4 based systems are out-dated.. but you can't say that there isn't the same type of interest in upcomming PC related releases... How many threads were launched on PC web boards just speculating on the power dissipation of the Prescott? or whether or not Intel would adopt i386-64 extensions? or when AMD will launch the fx53 processor (than few can afford anyway)?

ffakr
Mar 30, 2004, 01:04 PM
apple, if you dont update right now im going to shoot myself in the head with a shotgun...i mean it...really...

I think that would certainly 'thin the herd', so to speak. ;-)

It's just a computer... (and I don't plan on buying till summer so it doesn't bother me either way. :-P )

Zaty
Mar 30, 2004, 01:04 PM
PowerBooks will be updated in April, either on 06/04 or on 20/04. But don't expect too much from those updates. I wouldn't be surprised if they only speed bumped the 15" and the 17" a bit plus introducing faster graphics chips (Radeon 9700) w/ 128 MB Ram, if we're lucky. I'm not even sure if they can put a faster 7447 into the 12". It might run too hot in the tiny little AlBook. They might speed bump the 12" when the 7447A becomes available later this year. PB G5 not before MWSF 05, I'm afraid.

krisjon
Mar 30, 2004, 01:22 PM

And people like you have got too much time on their hands if you're that worried about something as silly as when a product update happens....really

Bilvox
Mar 30, 2004, 01:31 PM
Yea, what are we thinking!
they wont push new product until at the least the first Tuesday of the New fiscal quarter.
so hold yeee horses mates.
4-6-03?
perhaps... at least this month ahead. All signs point to it. Well more signs point to it now than 2 weeks+ ago.
let's see if we can hold out...
:eek:

-bilvox

http://www.bilvox.com

Parikh1234
Mar 30, 2004, 01:45 PM

You have bigger problems than worrying about waiting for apple to release a new product. I know windows is bad, but its not that bad. Heres some advice, dont spend 3 grand on a powerbook, use it to get yourself a nice shrink :)

Snowy_River
Mar 30, 2004, 02:07 PM
Only Mac users get this riled up over a rumor. I have to ask why. I never see people drooling over rumored IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony releases....

Well, I think there are people who start drooling over IBM releases... After all, look at all the attention the 970FX has been getting... Oh, wait, that's those same Mac people... http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/wink.jpg

El Duderino
Mar 30, 2004, 02:48 PM
im not really stressing over it that much, my desktop is just fine and i really have no need for a laptop right now, its just the anticipation that gets annoying ~puts toe on the trigger~

fussball
Mar 30, 2004, 03:03 PM
Another Tuesday of stuffing my credit card back in my wallet
:(

iN8
Mar 30, 2004, 04:14 PM
Well, it's Tuesday and no new Powerbooks. What a surprise! :rolleyes: I really didn't think it would happen, even though I wish it would already.

I spoke with a friend (no it's not a friend of a friend) of mine who works for a large reseller in FL that we buy all our tech from and he said that the channel was full of Powerbooks. That wasn't a good sign for an update today.

My problem is I need a Powerbook now, and it doesn't even have to be a G5. Just give me the next revision of the G4 with all the bug fixes and I will be happy.

jade
Mar 30, 2004, 04:16 PM
Another Tuesday of stuffing my credit card back in my wallet

One more Tuesday not paying interest on your new mac! ;)

Mar 30, 2004, 07:31 PM
They better as hell release updated G4's on the 6th. :mad:

keysersoze
Mar 30, 2004, 08:01 PM
They better as hell release updated G4's on the 6th. :mad:

Stupid apple.

cornfedgrowth
Mar 30, 2004, 11:23 PM

And I am dissappointed every tuesday when apple doesn't release anything. I know this takes time, but its been way to long on the updates, for both the PM and the PB. All i want is a G5 powerbook before the end of august when i go to college. i really wish apple would just give us some clues as to when its coming out, because if its not before september, i'd be buying now.

Sometimes i really hate Apple. Why do they have to be so much better!?!?!

Tomaz
Mar 31, 2004, 12:12 AM
My Dad spoke with one of the chiefs of Apple Switzerland. He says new G5s this Saturday, no news about PBs, but no PBG5 for sure this year!!
That sucks.

Opteron
Mar 31, 2004, 01:25 AM
My Dad spoke with one of the chiefs of Apple Switzerland. He says new G5s this Saturday, no news about PBs, but no PBG5 for sure this year!!
That sucks.

Pfft, that the sound of me blowing smoke out of my arse.

Don't hold your breath.

aswitcher
Mar 31, 2004, 02:08 AM
That sucks.

Newbie, if this proves to be true you will be a legend around here... ;)

Tomaz
Mar 31, 2004, 02:42 AM
and if not ....? ;)

donglenn
Mar 31, 2004, 03:05 AM
I ordered my first mac, a G4 PB 15" 1.25 last wednesday and I will get it this friday, so I really hope there won't be a new pb around for ages ;) :p

And I can't wait to get it!

aswitcher
Mar 31, 2004, 03:16 AM
and if not ....? ;)

You'll just be another of the many rumour mungers

discoforce
Mar 31, 2004, 06:15 AM
You have bigger problems than worrying about waiting for apple to release a new product. I know windows is bad, but its not that bad. Heres some advice, dont spend 3 grand on a powerbook, use it to get yourself a nice shrink :)

Coming from a shrink-in-training: Skip the shrink, go to the store, buy a powerbook, and enjoy :) You'll feel much better.

denm316
Mar 31, 2004, 06:39 AM
Don't know if anyone noticed this fact, but as of Monday and yesterday there were no 12inch or 15inch PowerBooks for sale under the refurb page, they had no models, the same goes for the Power Macs.

Now today all of a sudden they have more of them, and they are listed at the same price they were when they were originally in stock a week ago. That being said I have a feeling that no new PowerBooks will be released anytime soon, just a guess because I would have thought the refurbs would have dropped in pice another $100 or so.

Also does anyone think that Apple may be discounting new PB's as refurbs to try and clear out the inventory??????? :D

nargot
Mar 31, 2004, 07:31 AM
Coming from a shrink-in-training: Skip the shrink, go to the store, buy a powerbook, and enjoy :) You'll feel much better.

save your money and buy an ibook!!!!

abilinski
Mar 31, 2004, 07:41 AM
Maybe we should change the title to "NO New PowerBooks this Week".
I also agree with someone else that I don't want to pay full price for September technology. :(

a17inchFuture
Mar 31, 2004, 09:09 AM
Don't know if anyone noticed this fact, but as of Monday and yesterday there were no 12inch or 15inch PowerBooks for sale under the refurb page, they had no models, the same goes for the Power Macs.

Now today all of a sudden they have more of them, and they are listed at the same price they were when they were originally in stock a week ago. That being said I have a feeling that no new PowerBooks will be released anytime soon, just a guess because I would have thought the refurbs would have dropped in pice another $100 or so.

Also does anyone think that Apple may be discounting new PB's as refurbs to try and clear out the inventory??????? :D

I have often wondered if they use the refurb page myself, but I don't think so. If you'll notice, the powerbook's are their no. 6 selling product, and their best-selling computer. Thus, I doubt they need any help clearing the shelves, especially in comparison to other products.

And I highly doubt they would lower the price of the refurbs, as they already are hugely discounted, and in my opinion, equally as good if not better than a new one (as its had each part rigourously tested and cleared before reassembly).

I really hope that Apple gets its act together and releases something soon. The last non-music related item they updated was the Pm's, and that was in November (and a week update, kinda like the PB's last september, that are still at full pice . . . hmmm). I think that it is a little sad that Steve Jobs got us all so excited about the year of the apple, yet 25% of that year is gone, and all we have to show for it is a mini-ipod, which seemingly is only being produced after each one they make sells.

Zaty
Mar 31, 2004, 09:23 AM
Didn't Steve Jobs say something like they would release exciting new stuff throughout the anniversary year? So it's time they started to release that stuff.

denm316
Mar 31, 2004, 09:37 AM
As much as I would love a brand new 15 inch powerbook when they are released, I just dont feel like continuing to wait for an update that may be weeks to even another month down the road.

With the addition of new refurbs to the "special deals" section, I think I am going to order a 15inch 1.25GHz Powerbook. For the price of $1999.00, I dont think you can really go wrong, its a decent discount and even when new models do come out I doubt the prices will be dramatically slashed.

$1999.00 for a like-new powerbook, it seems like the best route to take, and then worry about the G5 PB in a few years, Any Thoughts??

emotion
Mar 31, 2004, 10:08 AM
As much as I would love a brand new 15 inch powerbook when they are released, I just dont feel like continuing to wait for an update that may be weeks to even another month down the road.

With the addition of new refurbs to the "special deals" section, I think I am going to order a 15inch 1.25GHz Powerbook. For the price of $1999.00, I dont think you can really go wrong, its a decent discount and even when new models do come out I doubt the prices will be dramatically slashed.

$1999.00 for a like-new powerbook, it seems like the best route to take, and then worry about the G5 PB in a few years, Any Thoughts??

i'm on the verge of ordering my 12" powerbook based on the same logic.

Windowlicker
Mar 31, 2004, 10:20 AM
let's hope it's true

hayesk
Mar 31, 2004, 10:22 AM

Buy it. I did last month, and even if new PBs were announced today, I wouldn't be upset. Why? Because I got at least a month of heavy use out of it. Even if they were announced today, chances are it'd be a few weeks before you could actually get your hands on one anyway. Besides, will a new PB be that much better anyway?

cornboy
Mar 31, 2004, 01:11 PM

Good old Steve, he has such a great sense of humour. Knowing that we have all clocked the traditional Tuesday updates routine he is using the proximity of Spring Break and All Fools Day (april 1) to taunt us poor prospective purchasers. The only evidence I have for such sad behaviour is that I'd definitely do that, the temptation is too great, especially as his Refurb department is on overtime right now shipping cheaper product to disgruntled buyers that would never to pay the premium he'll want for the new machines when they come out anyway. Oh, and the fact that the incase laptop website is down for reconstruction - read new product i'll wager.

Still can't make up my mind - 12" ibook that does 95% of what I want and is amazingly portable or a fully loaded 15"er. Ahem.

Mr Maui
Mar 31, 2004, 01:13 PM
Maybe we should change the title to "NO New PowerBooks this Week".
I also agree with someone else that I don't want to pay full price for September technology. :(

Then DON'T! :D

<must admit I like the term "September-technology" ... like it was EONS ago> :p

Mr Maui
Mar 31, 2004, 01:15 PM
Didn't Steve Jobs say something like they would release exciting new stuff throughout the anniversary year? So it's time they started to release that stuff.

Come on ... They released an update for iPhoto, didn't they? The ball is rolling now ... and picking up speed too. Almost as fast as the snail now. :cool:

Mr Maui
Mar 31, 2004, 01:22 PM

I think that unless you enjoy disappointment, buy as soon as you're ready, regardless of what "may" or "may not" be on the horizon. Otherwise, you may just be disappointed in how long you have to wait. In the computer world, as soon as something is announced, it is already old news and on the way out. Waiting for the newest release is like waiting for "tomorrow" to arrive. :cool:

jade
Mar 31, 2004, 01:44 PM
Come on ... They released an update for iPhoto, didn't they? The ball is rolling now ... and picking up speed too. Almost as fast as the snail now. :cool:

Maybe in June we will move up to ladybug pace (little speed demons)

jade
Mar 31, 2004, 01:45 PM
I think that unless you enjoy disappointment, buy as soon as you're ready, regardless of what "may" or "may not" be on the horizon. Otherwise, you may just be disappointed in how long you have to wait. In the computer world, as soon as something is announced, it is already old news and on the way out. Waiting for the newest release is like waiting for "tomorrow" to arrive. :cool:

Well the powerbook g4 feels like it should last a good 3 years...but the pb g5 with the inevitable increase in RAM capacity looks like 5.

Mr Maui
Mar 31, 2004, 02:46 PM
Well the powerbook g4 feels like it should last a good 3 years...but the pb g5 with the inevitable increase in RAM capacity looks like 5.

Provided it doesn't take 5 years to arrive. :eek:

macdong
Mar 31, 2004, 02:53 PM

Power comes from God, and God is in the Book --- PowerBook.

sorry, i have no clue what i am saying.

Snowy_River
Mar 31, 2004, 03:19 PM

I have to agree with this. About a year ago, I wanted to buy a 15" AL PB. Everyone was saying that the next revision was going to be coming out really soon (this was beginning of May last year). I finally gave up and bought a 12" in mid-May (I needed to have it and couldn't wait any longer). I was very glad that I didn't wait for the line revision in September.

As a bit of food for though, based on the past PB update schedule, we are only just at the beginning of the window for an update. The update would easily be 'on time', based on the past update schedule, even if it wasn't released until end of May or beginning of June...

jade
Mar 31, 2004, 03:26 PM
Provided it doesn't take 5 years to arrive. :eek:

yeah, I hope it happens before the 2008 presidential elections!

jade
Mar 31, 2004, 03:45 PM
I have to agree with this. About a year ago, I wanted to buy a 15" AL PB. Everyone was saying that the next revision was going to be coming out really soon (this was beginning of May last year). I finally gave up and bought a 12" in mid-May (I needed to have it and couldn't wait any longer). I was very glad that I didn't wait for the line revision in September.

As a bit of food for though, based on the past PB update schedule, we are only just at the beginning of the window for an update. The update would easily be 'on time', based on the past update schedule, even if it wasn't released until end of May or beginning of June...

Yeah I was one of those 15" albook holdouts....actually since November 2002. Since I knew macworld was coming up I though i should wait. WEll then those pesky albooks came out, So i decided to wait it out. Well since they came out in September, I didn't want to buy and have the upcoming g5 powerbooks. So I waited till MAcworld 2004..............

Yeah I bought an ibook 3 weeks ago to tide me over till the g5 powerbooks come out

DHagan4755
Mar 31, 2004, 04:33 PM
PowerPage claims (http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11921) that Apple will be releasing new G4 PowerBooks this week.Liar, liar pants on fire.

rdowns
Mar 31, 2004, 06:42 PM

Here's a sneak peak at Apple's new update strategy.

tsk
Mar 31, 2004, 06:45 PM

I noticed the new refurbs just reappeared, but I think within the last 2 weeks these were dropped in price. The 15" were definitely at least $100 more not too long ago. Granted, I think that's a kind of lame drop.

I suspect the drop indicates that updates are coming, just probably not immediately. To me, I'd try to move these for a couple of weeks before I released new ones.

You're also possibly right on the new as refurbs. Do they sell the old models as refurbs when new ones come out?

nbs2
Mar 31, 2004, 07:31 PM
I keep coming back to this site hoping for a rumor like this. It doesn't happen for the longest time. Then this. I can't figure out what Apple is trying to tell me. There must be some profound lesson, somewhere.

Mr Maui
Mar 31, 2004, 08:55 PM
I noticed the new refurbs just reappeared, but I think within the last 2 weeks these were dropped in price. The 15" were definitely at least $100 more not too long ago. Granted, I think that's a kind of lame drop.

I suspect the drop indicates that updates are coming, just probably not immediately. To me, I'd try to move these for a couple of weeks before I released new ones.

There are five planets visible in the night sky (just after sunset) for the next couple of weeks too. This surely MUST mean that updates are coming for absolutely, positively certain. :D

jsw
Mar 31, 2004, 11:05 PM
There are five planets visible in the night sky (just after sunset) for the next couple of weeks too. This surely MUST mean that updates are coming for absolutely, positively certain. :D

No, sadly, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow again this past Tuesday, meaning six more weeks without updates.

floyd_gadget
Apr 1, 2004, 01:10 AM
So Apple Australia just extended 2 promotions on their website. Both involving the powerbook. Previously these were finishing in March, now they both say April 13th.

http://www.apple.com.au/education/promos/havemorefun/

http://www.apple.com.au/promo/powerbookipod/

The education deal is pretty sweet actually, might be worth getting it anyways.

floyd_gadget
Apr 1, 2004, 01:13 AM
I forgot to mention, I didn't realise all hardware sold on Apple Australia's Education site includes a 3 year warranty standard along with the discount. This is pretty nice of them.

aswitcher
Apr 1, 2004, 01:41 AM
So Apple Australia just extended 2 promotions on their website. Both involving the powerbook. Previously these were finishing in March, now they both say April 13th.

http://www.apple.com.au/education/promos/havemorefun/

http://www.apple.com.au/promo/powerbookipod/

The education deal is pretty sweet actually, might be worth getting it anyways.

Funny how Apple now have the deals and the resellers seem to have dropped them.

nargot
Apr 1, 2004, 01:53 AM
I forgot to mention, I didn't realise all hardware sold on Apple Australia's Education site includes a 3 year warranty standard along with the discount. This is pretty nice of them.

Its been that way for years, it even includes ipods. However, the havemorefun promo sucks, you can't get CTO models and you have to buy the specified models to be eligible.

floyd_gadget
Apr 1, 2004, 04:02 AM
What's a CTO model ??

nargot
Apr 1, 2004, 05:04 AM
What's a CTO model ?? catered to order otherwise known as BTO (built to order). ie when you can only get internal Bluetooth and upgraded hard drive as CTO.

BJNY
Apr 1, 2004, 08:26 AM
Isn't it configure-to-order instead of catered?

rjeffreyproctor
Apr 1, 2004, 08:29 AM
APRIL FOOLS!!!!! :eek:

nargot
Apr 1, 2004, 02:27 PM
Isn't it configure-to-order instead of catered? yes, configure to order

chubad
Apr 1, 2004, 03:40 PM

If you get the Powerbook be sure and order the faster 80 gig 5200rpm hard drive. The stock hard drive is pathetically slow at 4200 rpm.
Also get at least 1 gig of RAM from a third party vendor. (Apple is way too expensive for their RAM prices)

aswitcher
Apr 2, 2004, 02:21 AM
Well the weeks almost over...no new PowerBooks... :(

Tomaz
Apr 2, 2004, 02:33 AM
I kinda saw that coming. :( But of course I'm still hoping.. Has Apple ever released anything on a Friday or Saturday ?

helmsc
Apr 2, 2004, 11:59 AM
looks like another week another silly new computer update rumor :p

atari1356
Apr 2, 2004, 12:55 PM
I'll give Powerpage the benefit of the doubt, and say that Saturday includes this week. So, still one more day to go. If they aren't released tomorrow though... never visiting Powerpage ever again, after he stated as FACT that they would be released this week. If it's a rumor... call it a rumor, don't state is as fact or you're just flushing your credibility down the toilet. :mad:

Adamn Smith
Apr 2, 2004, 02:19 PM
Okay, I read through most of the posts here.......

What's the verdict was there an update or no?

El Duderino
Apr 2, 2004, 02:33 PM
Okay, I read through most of the posts here.......

What's the verdict was there an update or no?
highly unlikely

MacPearl
Apr 2, 2004, 02:51 PM
Well the weeks almost over...no new PowerBooks... :(

Good that there's no new pb since I just got my new PB last week after placing order within a week. If there's any update, my PB should have arrived later than this with some delay notice.

I wouldn't mind if Apple's going release new PB in couple of months :(

aswitcher
Apr 2, 2004, 03:13 PM
SNIP

I wouldn't mind if Apple's going release new PB in couple of months :(

Yep End of June for WWDC

The Bartender
Apr 2, 2004, 06:00 PM
I kinda saw that coming. :( But of course I'm still hoping.. Has Apple ever released anything on a Friday or Saturday ?
Actually... I think the iBook G4s were released on a Friday.

Snowy_River
Apr 2, 2004, 07:11 PM
Actually... I think the iBook G4s were released on a Friday.

Actually, if MacRumors Buyer's Guide is to be believed, they were released on October 22nd, which was a Wednesday. Oh well...

ThomasJefferson
Apr 2, 2004, 07:14 PM
No, sadly, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow again this past Tuesday, meaning six more weeks without updates.

Punxsutawney Phil must die!

JoeMacgruder
Apr 3, 2004, 12:10 AM
There will be a new laptop this week. This isn't speculation. This isn't a guess. Trust me. I have reason to know.

aswitcher
Apr 3, 2004, 12:46 AM
There will be a new laptop this week. This isn't speculation. This isn't a guess. Trust me. I have reason to know.

Ah, because the week is over????? ;) :D

Any Newbies saying they have inside knowledge but not saying anything more is getting old...come'on, if you have something spill and let history be your judge :rolleyes:

JoeMacgruder
Apr 3, 2004, 01:27 AM
Ah, because the week is over????? ;) :D

Any Newbies saying they have inside knowledge but not saying anything more is getting old...come'on, if you have something spill and let history be your judge :rolleyes:

Yeah, this week that's over. No not this week (thats ending today). But this coming week. I figured an intelligent person would realize what I meant... but I guess not. And history will be my vindication. This coming week. Also I don't need to justify myself or my knowledge and being new to this forum has nothing to do with legitimacy. But since you dont care for my info..I will post no more.

aswitcher
Apr 3, 2004, 01:32 AM
Yeah, this week that's over. No not this week (thats ending today). But this coming week. I figured an intelligent person would realize what I meant... but I guess not. And history will be my vindication. This coming week. Also I don't need to justify myself or my knowledge and being new to this forum has nothing to do with legitimacy. But since you dont care for my info..I will post no more.

Well actually we have another Newbie saying this Saturday there will be a release, so this week is still valid... ;)

Feel free to post, just don't expect everyone to be so willing to trust newbie posters with predictions...there have been so many predictions and so many failed out comes... :rolleyes:

thatwendigo
Apr 3, 2004, 02:31 AM
Punxsutawney Phil must die!

Yes, he must, but more for ruining my weather again and again. I've had enough of winter lasting forever, Mr. Phil.

Say hello to my little friend... :cool:

Tomaz
Apr 3, 2004, 03:48 AM
Almost noon in Switzerland and no new updates yet..... I really hate it to realize that my own rumor seems to be wrong!! :mad:

fratrow
Apr 3, 2004, 08:12 AM
This being the weekend, I guess the rumor ends here...

Oh well...

El Duderino
Apr 3, 2004, 08:49 AM
i did have a dream last night that there was an update today, but thats really more disturbing than informational :confused:

johnnyjibbs
Apr 3, 2004, 09:23 AM
iBook G4s were released on Wednesday 22nd October, 2 days before the official launch of Panther (on a Friday), so the Buyers' Guide is right.

I'm hoping PowerBook updates happen soon because my sister now needs to replace her stolen PC notebook and she wants to replace it with an iBook but I know they will be updated just after PowerBooks, or possibly at the same time. She can afford to wait a month or two if necessary, but I want her to get it soon so I know someone else with a Mac and so can enjoy audio chats with iChat etc (no luck with AIM)!

thejoshu
Apr 3, 2004, 12:09 PM
God, talking about something mentioned on PowerPage is such a waste of time. I've been a member there for years and there was a time when it was enjoyable... and then it split up into an iMac site and a mobile technology site... and then it all came back together... and now what is it? Nothing. Meaningless, banal articles by guest submitters. Sorry. Didn't mean to get hostile... it just used to be something really enjoyable. :(

aswitcher
Apr 3, 2004, 03:48 PM
Almost noon in Switzerland and no new updates yet..... I really hate it to realize that my own rumor seems to be wrong!! :mad:

I would be interested in knowing your source anyway. A bad source can be disregarded in the future...

jwhitnah
Apr 3, 2004, 10:38 PM
I would be interested in knowing your source anyway. A bad source can be disregarded in the future...

Where the hell is the new hardware?

Applexilef
Apr 3, 2004, 11:51 PM
In other news:

Starting on tuesday, all new iMacs will come with Macrumors as the Safari homepage, so first-time users can be amazed by Macrumors state-of-the art: "Random Rumor Renerator"

:cool:

h_harker
Apr 4, 2004, 07:07 AM
just noticed that powerbooks are being "promoted" as latest clearance items on www.tcsmacs.com (london). I know the 15" superdrive is usually around £1830 here, but now they are £1760... a small, insignificant reduction?

just thought id bring the topic/rumour around to...powerbook updates next NEXT week?

sorry.

Tomaz
Apr 4, 2004, 08:43 AM

The source was one of the local heads of Apple Switzerland. My Dad spoke with him cause the school where he works wants to buy a big load of new computers. Sounded like a pretty safe source... :confused:
Sorry, won't trust any anouncements of that guy anymore!

DHagan4755
Apr 4, 2004, 01:30 PM
The source was one of the local heads of Apple Switzerland. My Dad spoke with him cause the school where he works wants to buy a big load of new computers. Sounded like a pretty safe source... :confused:
Sorry, won't trust any anouncements of that guy anymore!If you wanted to think positively, it could be that the new G5s arrive at stores Saturday for immediately availability on Monday or Tuesday when they are officially announced by Apple. :p

iChan
Apr 4, 2004, 03:09 PM
my blood curdles every time i see this heading... stupid!

a17inchFuture
Apr 4, 2004, 03:10 PM
I really hope they update this tuesday or next, as I literally just finished placing an order for a 17 inch PB. ten days gives me until next tuesday for the automatic refund/change over. And that would be sweet.

Either way extremely happy about the comp . . . .

Dave the Great
Apr 4, 2004, 10:19 PM
You know what's sad?

I just read on cnet that eMachines updated their notebooks again. This is now, I think, the fourth time since eMachines have had updates since the last updates on books from Apple.

In fact, this is the second update of the 64 bit athlon chip in their mobile lineup.

I know people are going to slam eMachines, but for a computer that is 1/2 to a 1/3 the price for today's technology is amazing.

I just hope that G5 PB's are right around the corner.

macdong
Apr 5, 2004, 01:00 AM
I just hope that G5 PB's are right around the corner.

it may be right around the corner, but the corner is still miles away. :o

a17inchFuture
Apr 5, 2004, 08:42 AM
Well, I order a PB yesterday, and it says that it is shipping on or before thursday. That is pretty quick, and since there seems to be no hold-ups, I woudl suggest no PB's until at least the week after next.

P.S. I am gonna get 3rd party-RAM, and I was wondering if anyone knew good outlets? Also, I once heard someone mention something about voiding the Apple protection plan waranty if you put in RAM yourself. Is this true? Any other info? Thanks.

Tomaz
Apr 5, 2004, 09:02 AM
Well, I order a PB yesterday....

I've been fighting with myself for about 2 months now, one side of me saying "order it, they're not gonna release a new PB soon, and if they release one soon, it won't be so much better than the current", and the other side of me saying "come on wait a few weeks, then at least you don't buy a 6 months old model for full price". I'm fighting and fighting, and entries like the one from a17inchFuture don't make it easier... having a new PB over Easter Holidays would be soo nice....but if they release a new one Tuesday after Easter I would be soo pissed off (forgive my language)....I could argue with myself forever :(

macdong
Apr 5, 2004, 09:09 AM
I've been fighting with myself for about 2 months now, one side of me saying "order it, they're not gonna release a new PB soon, and if they release one soon, it won't be so much better than the current", and the other side of me saying "come on wait a few weeks, then at least you don't buy a 6 months old model for full price". I'm fighting and fighting, and entries like the one from a17inchFuture don't make it easier... having a new PB over Easter Holidays would be soo nice....but if they release a new one Tuesday after Easter I would be soo pissed off (forgive my language)....I could argue with myself forever :(

give yourself a dead line.
if a PowerBook with G5 doesn't come before it, buy an iBook.
that'll leave some money in your bank and give you something to work with for a while.
after a PowerBook that you feel satisfied comes out, you can sell the iBook and buy the PowerBook.
or even keep the iBook :)
this is exactly what i am gonna do.
and my deadline is September.

Tomaz
Apr 5, 2004, 10:06 AM
From the Powerpage:

PowerBook Speed Bumps Delayed
05 April 2004 08:20 EST
Jason D. O'Grady

Despite our best efforts to bring you accurate information about PowerBook announcements, our piece last week on the expected PowerBook revisions due last week was a tad premature. Although the expected PowerBook G4 speed bumps did not get announced last week a reliable PowerPage source has informed me that the speed bumped PowerBook G4s (note: they are not going to be G5s) should be announced within the next week or two - give or take a few days. Stay tuned to the PowerPage for updates as the week progresses...

They become more and more precise... :D

a17inchFuture
Apr 5, 2004, 10:46 AM

I would wait. I have extremely unique circumstances that forced me to buy it yesterday. To tell the truth, I am a bit disappointed that I had to. I have been waiting since early november, checking these sites, etc. probably a hundred times a day, so it feels like alot of wasted time to just buy the model that was around then, now.

But, of course there is the positive side too, which is my "17 inch future" will soon be a present!! Should I change my name, too?

Haha, do what you want, but I would wait.

jade
Apr 5, 2004, 10:58 AM
give yourself a dead line.
if a PowerBook with G5 doesn't come before it, buy an iBook.
that'll leave some money in your bank and give you something to work with for a while.
after a PowerBook that you feel satisfied comes out, you can sell the iBook and buy the PowerBook.
or even keep the iBook :)
this is exactly what i am gonna do.
and my deadline is September.

Yup that's what I did. I have a nice ibook to use until the g5 powerbooks make an appearance...and if they come out in the next 4 months I will sell my ibook...or I will give it to my sister if they come out in 2005.

I had been waiting to become a switcher for 3 years! And i took the plunge with ibook. (All related to the pacts I made with my self on my next computer purchase)

macdong
Apr 5, 2004, 11:14 AM
From the Powerpage:

PowerBook Speed Bumps Delayed
05 April 2004 08:20 EST
Jason D. O'Grady

Despite our best efforts to bring you accurate information about PowerBook announcements, our piece last week on the expected PowerBook revisions due last week was a tad premature. Although the expected PowerBook G4 speed bumps did not get announced last week a reliable PowerPage source has informed me that the speed bumped PowerBook G4s (note: they are not going to be G5s) should be announced within the next week or two - give or take a few days. Stay tuned to the PowerPage for updates as the week progresses...

They become more and more precise... :D

1. it would be ironic, funny, and embarrassing for them if a G5 PowerBook comes out in a month or so. :)
2. a week or two, give or take a few days, that's 3 weeks. how convenient. :rolleyes:

Naimfan
Apr 5, 2004, 11:35 AM
Well, I order a PB yesterday, and it says that it is shipping on or before thursday. That is pretty quick, and since there seems to be no hold-ups, I woudl suggest no PB's until at least the week after next.

P.S. I am gonna get 3rd party-RAM, and I was wondering if anyone knew good outlets? Also, I once heard someone mention something about voiding the Apple protection plan waranty if you put in RAM yourself. Is this true? Any other info? Thanks.

Congratulations on your new PB. I was in a similar situation and ordered it BTO, I've had it for a couple of weeks. As far as RAM goes, I've personally dealt with Otherworldcomputing and Transintl, both have been fine. And installing RAM yourself does NOT void the Apple warranty or Applecare. You DO void them if you change the hard drive to one not listed on the BTO options.

Best,

Bob

Zaty
Apr 5, 2004, 12:33 PM
1. it would be ironic, funny, and embarrassing for them if a G5 PowerBook comes out in a month or so. :)
2. a week or two, give or take a few days, that's 3 weeks. how convenient. :rolleyes:

There's a 90% chance they're right :D

briankonar
Apr 5, 2004, 01:54 PM
ehh....how old is the current line up of EVERY computer? it seems like apple hasn't had an update in close to a year, on anything.

Intel, Motorola, and IBM all seem to be up against a brick wall at the moment. IBM has the most potential for growth...but WTF is it? Even a Dual 2.0 seems to be quite disappointing. The G4+ is practically dead in the water. Releasing additional G4 revisions of the Power Book is Apple's way of looking like they're doing something...but it's kind of pointless until a G5 version is released. Hopefully they drop the prices on them dramatically, because they're not worth anywhere near their current asking price.

El Duderino
Apr 5, 2004, 01:59 PM
ehh....how old is the current line up of EVERY computer? it seems like apple hasn't had an update in close to a year, on anything.
check the buyers guide

macdong
Apr 5, 2004, 02:01 PM

Intel, Motorola, and IBM all seem to be up against a brick wall at the moment. IBM has the most potential for growth...but WTF is it? Even a Dual 2.0 seems to be quite disappointing. The G4+ is practically dead in the water. Releasing additional G4 revisions of the Power Book is Apple's way of looking like they're doing something...but it's kind of pointless until a G5 version is released. Hopefully they drop the prices on them dramatically, because they're not worth anywhere near their current asking price.

that's why i keep suggesting people to get an iBook if they need a laptop immediatelly. the current line of PowerBook really isn't worth the money in my opinion.

Tomaz
Apr 5, 2004, 02:09 PM
that's why i keep suggesting people to get an iBook if they need a laptop immediatelly. the current line of PowerBook really isn't worth the money in my opinion.

If Apple updates the PB and keeps the price the same as now, what do you think is an appropriate setup. What specifications would you (everyone here in this forum) think is worth the money ?
(Lets assume the next PB is still a G4!)
I would be quite happy with the following for the 15"PB:
G4 1.5GHz
512MB Ram (at least)
100 GB HD (does that exist already in this size?)
ATI radeon 9700
MORE BATTERY TIME

macdong
Apr 5, 2004, 02:29 PM
If Apple updates the PB and keeps the price the same as now, what do you think is an appropriate setup. What specifications would you (everyone here in this forum) think is worth the money ?
(Lets assume the next PB is still a G4!)
I would be quite happy with the following for the 15"PB:
G4 1.5GHz
512MB Ram (at least)
100 GB HD (does that exist already in this size?)
ATI radeon 9700
MORE BATTERY TIME

simple. i think highest PowerBook line should match at least the lowest line of PowerMac. and at the price of 2000+, it'd better be able to run the applications coming out in the next 3 years. the spec you show here, i'd be happy if they are put in an iBook (excluding the graphic card and that super hard drive. 40GB would be fine.)

Tomaz
Apr 5, 2004, 02:40 PM
... it'd better be able to run the applications coming out in the next 3 years...

So you think it's not possible to run new applications with a G4 for the next 3 years. The reason why I ask is that now I don't need a lot of power (ilife, internet, office), but of course I would wanna keep a new PB for at least 3 years...

Parikh1234
Apr 5, 2004, 02:46 PM

so true. It seems like apple is back in 1984 :) I guess thats why the re-released that commercial back in January. To remind us that all the apple computers will be outdated by 20 years before they release updates.

Parikh1234
Apr 5, 2004, 02:48 PM
simple. i think highest PowerBook line should match at least the lowest line of PowerMac. and at the price of 2000+, it'd better be able to run the applications coming out in the next 3 years. the spec you show here, i'd be happy if they are put in an iBook (excluding the graphic card and that super hard drive. 40GB would be fine.)

It seems like it would be better just to buy dual 1.8 Ghz and tape it to your back like a backpack and get an LCD. It would be better than buying a powerbook at this point.

macdong
Apr 5, 2004, 02:48 PM
So you think it's not possible to run new applications with a G4 for the next 3 years. The reason why I ask is that now I don't need a lot of power (ilife, internet, office), but of course I would wanna keep a new PB for at least 3 years...

i consider iLife, Internet, and Office to be iBook level. PowerBook is supposed to be able to take care of heavy jobs like video editing. and i don't believe the PowerBook right now will be able to run FCPro coming out 2 years later. :o

macdong
Apr 5, 2004, 02:50 PM
It seems like it would be better just to buy dual 1.8 Ghz and tape it to your back like a backpack and get an LCD. It would be better than buying a powerbook at this point.

that's why i'll be getting an iBook if they don't put G5 in PowerBook :o

tangenjm@mcmast
Apr 5, 2004, 03:10 PM
Here's a funny commentary on the absurdity of this powerbook rumour:

http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/archives/000210.html#000210

Barham
Apr 5, 2004, 03:20 PM
I don't use iMovie very much, but I do know that GarageBand is extremly hungry for system resources. If you're going to be using it, I'd recommend at least what the Powerbooks are offering now. But, if you're just using iTunes and some iMovie, then you don't need that much power if you've got time (iMovie effects).

-Hasta

grenoble
Apr 5, 2004, 03:44 PM
He guys, something is happening in the store ...

grenoble
Apr 5, 2004, 03:54 PM
No changes ...

Parikh1234
Apr 5, 2004, 04:16 PM
He guys, something is happening in the store ...

I know the store usually goes down for a little when making product announcements but I think that they would update the main page before updating the store.

Apr 5, 2004, 07:08 PM
Updated PowerBooks Tomorrow, I say.

I've kept an eye on the PowerBooks they have in Stock at several CompUSA locations, and according to CompUSA.com the following stores are out of stock or have dangerously low quantities of PowerBooks:

El Paso, Texas
Dallas, Texas
Houston, Texas
Las Vegas, Nevada
New York, New York
San Francisco, California

Also, ClubMac only has 64 12" ComboDrive PowerBooks in Stock.

Most of these stores have absolutely no PowerBooks in Stock, which leads me to believe that updates are due very, very soon. I doubt CompUSA or Apple could afford more than a few days on a dangerously low supply of PowerBooks.

Besides, my birthday is tomorrow, so it has to be :p

a17inchFuture
Apr 5, 2004, 07:24 PM

I've kept an eye on the PowerBooks they have in Stock at several CompUSA locations, and according to CompUSA.com the following stores are out of stock or have dangerously low quantities of PowerBooks:

El Paso, Texas
Dallas, Texas
Houston, Texas
Las Vegas, Nevada
New York, New York

Most of these stores have absolutely no PowerBooks in Stock, which leads me to believe that updates are due very, very soon. I doubt CompUSA or Apple could afford more than a few days on a dangerously low supply of PowerBooks.

I pray you are right my friend, as I woudl love to have my comp be updated, as I just bought yesterday!

Please let it be so . . . .

a17inchFuture
Apr 5, 2004, 07:27 PM

El Paso, Texas
Dallas, Texas
Houston, Texas
Las Vegas, Nevada
New York, New York

Actually I just checked, and my 17 inch PB has shipped(which I bought yesterday), so I HIGHLY DOUBT it will be tomorrow, as they wouldn't send out the old model when the new one is coming out tomorrow.

DreaminDirector
Apr 5, 2004, 07:38 PM

The only thing that scares me is that apple told the resellers of the upcoming "dry spell" (was that a rumors or was it confirmed). I'm all for an update as I'm dying to spend my money, but I'm staying cautiously pessimistic on the rumors of tomorrow's update (4/6)....

fener
Apr 5, 2004, 07:57 PM
Actually I just checked, and my 17 inch PB has shipped(which I bought yesterday), so I HIGHLY DOUBT it will be tomorrow, as they wouldn't send out the old model when the new one is coming out tomorrow.

I doubt that. Thats why Apple is giving a 10 day period if any updates/price changes occur in the mean time.

Before 10 day is over, you can send in your machine and get it swapped with the new one, or request the price difference, if Apple drops the price of your system, Officially.

a17inchFuture
Apr 5, 2004, 08:06 PM
I doubt that. Thats why Apple is giving a 10 day period if any updates/price changes occur in the mean time.

Before 10 day is over, you can send in your machine and get it swapped with the new one, or request the price difference, if Apple drops the price of your system, Officially.

Well I've heard before that they call people in advance if they are going to update. Someone said they call and ask what of the options you want, rebate, or newer version. And if that were teh case, they wouldn't send the tracking information to FedEx, wouldn't they call and ask me tomorrow morning?

Naimfan
Apr 5, 2004, 08:34 PM
As far as inventory goes, Clubmac is now showing 1301 (!) 1.25 GHz 15" PBs in stock, though only about 200 12".

Best,

Bob

neonart
Apr 5, 2004, 10:49 PM
As far as inventory goes, Clubmac is now showing 1301 (!) 1.25 GHz 15" PBs in stock, though only about 200 12".

Best,

Bob

Holy smokes! It must be tomorrow.

If they are down to 1300 Powerbooks that must mean updates are imminent. :rolleyes: ...

Thanks for the reality check there Bob. People get too excited about nothing. I hope we get new machines soon, but I seriously doubt it'll be tomorrow.

El Duderino
Apr 6, 2004, 01:02 AM
Holy smokes! It must be tomorrow.

If they are down to 1300 Powerbooks that must mean updates are imminent. :rolleyes: ...

Thanks for the reality check there Bob. People get too excited about nothing. I hope we get new machines soon, but I seriously doubt it'll be tomorrow.
its a trick, all these sites and resellers are posting fake inventory numbers just to mess with our head, i say...updates tomorow...er....today. i really need to go to sleep