Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbernie41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Ohio
So I had my import setting in an incorrect aspect ratio and I just edited for like 4 hours. I finished my project and THEN realized its in the wrong aspect ratio.

Is there any way I can retain my time line or anything so I don't have to re-import and re-edit everything?

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
So I had my import setting in an incorrect aspect ratio and I just edited for like 4 hours. I finished my project and THEN realized its in the wrong aspect ratio.

Is there any way I can retain my time line or anything so I don't have to re-import and re-edit everything?

Can you right-click on your sequence and see if you can change the aspect ratio? Usually you can. I think it's the framerate that sticks once you start editing, so you can't change the framerate afterwards. What codec are you using to edit with?

bimmzy

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
London

Ok one way to make a change quickly is to take your finished sequence, duplicate it, and in sequence settings change the aspect ratio of the new sequence.

Next go to the time line and highlight all the video in your cut so it can be "nested".
You can do this by going to the Sequence Menu again and clicking "nest items".... all the individual clips will disappear and be replaced by one big single clip.

In the timeline, right click on that new clip, and select "open in viewer'
Then go to the 'motion' tab, where you can change the aspect ratio by using 'distortion' and zoom in and out of the image as required for the of the video to match your sequence aspect ratio.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Can you right-click on your sequence and see if you can change the aspect ratio? Usually you can. I think it's the framerate that sticks once you start editing, so you can't change the framerate afterwards. What codec are you using to edit with?

this works. i just did it yesterday playing with something.

Just had to render when it was done.

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
Basic motion fix...

I've had a similar prob before, and while you say you fixed it, I thought I'd add this add'l fix that worked for me.

In the viewer, select the Motion tab

Expand 'Distort'

Mess w/the 'Aspect Ratio' slider at the bottom

I don't know if you have to render after this method or not, but I thought I'd give another way to skin a cat.

nf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.