Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starsoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Hi All,

I recently inherited a 15 inch Powerbook G4. The laptop is running OS X. I have had no problems connecting to my university's wireless network. However, I have had no luck connecting to the school LAN via the ethernet port. The LAN here uses a DHCP server and the laptop seems to pick up all the IP and DNS related information correctly. The status of the connection is also indicated as active and all diagnostic tests say that the connection should be working. However, I get nothing when I ping sites or use a browser to load a site. I am more adept at troubleshooting Windows machines. So any help is appreciated!

My settings:

"Using DHCP"
IP: 128.174.191.17
Subnet, Router and DNS Server information matches the information on my Windows machine that is connected to the same LAN.

Service Order
Ethernet
Airport
..The rest

Here's what I have tried so far:

1) Releasing and renewing DHCP lease
2) Turning off airport and trying the ethernet connection alone
3) Setting ethernet connection as number 1 in list of services
4) Manually entering IP and DNS information - this attempt failed and the settings weren't saved.
5) Different cable, different data ports. No luck.

The problem is certainly at the laptop end (appears to be OS related) and not the ISP end. A windows machine connected to the same LAN with the same data cable is working fine.

Please advise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.