Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I am new to Mac. My windows PC that is 9 years old is about to give out. My dads friend is selling his MacBook and offered it to us if we wanted it. I do not know much about Mac's so I was just looking to see if this is a good deal.

Specs:
2GHz Intel Core Duo processor

512MB (two 256MB SO-DIMMS) of DDR2 SDRAM

80 GB 5400-rpm Hard Drive

13.3-inch TFT widescreen display

Intel GMA950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM

Built in iSight video camera

Front Row and Apple Remote

DVD+-RW/CD-RW

Built in Ethernet

Built in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

One Firewire port and 2 USB 2.0 ports

Optical digital audio input/audio line in, optical digital audio output

Mini-DVI port for DVI, VGA composite and S-video

All original packaging and boxing included.

http://i44.tinypic.com/fjmiz8.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/14lhaur.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/24cd3rq.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2eb7kg2.jpg

Those are the pictures of it. I was wondering does that 'X' mean it has leopard or tiger or some other variant?

The price is $350, but we might be able to get it cheaper. Is this a good deal? Also, if I got this I would buy 2GB of Ram for it since it supports up to that much. Can I put DDR3 ram in it?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm saying this very seriously, if you don't buy it I WANT IT!! Please tell your dad's friend!!

If those pictures are recent, then it looks like it's in great shape. You should go for it.
No DDR3, but you can put more DDR2 in there very easily.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
also,

make sure the battery is in good condition. iStat pro - or coconut battery can give you more information about this.

if everything is fine - i would say that is a great deal. also keep in mind DDR2 RAM is very affordable so that wouldn't be a big upgrade to do!

you will need to click apple menu->about this mac to see what version of OS X you will have.

10.5.x is Leopard
10.4.x is Tiger
10.3.x is Panther
10.2.x is Jaguar

rust.puppet

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Ashtabula, OH
i would buy it if i were you, its worth the upwards of 800-850$ and they dont make blackbooks anymore so it will be worth SOME money in the years to come as they had a limited run.

rust.puppet

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Ashtabula, OH
also,

make sure the battery is in good condition. iStat pro - or coconut battery can give you more information about this.

if everything is fine - i would say that is a great deal. also keep in mind DDR2 RAM is very affordable so that wouldn't be a big upgrade to do!

you will need to click apple menu->about this mac to see what version of OS X you will have.

10.5.x is Leopard
10.4.x is Tiger
10.3.x is Panther
10.2.x is Jaguar

but OS is not that expensive if it has tiger, and they sell replacement batteries for 100 or less so either way its a win, and a big upgrade from a 9 year old pc.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
it was just for information there pal

if he is as clueless about Apple products as most PC users that i have talked to - i would atleast like to answer his questions!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Its really worth around 600 (in the Atlanta, GA area) so that is a good deal. It also looks like the owner took very good care of it and since he's a friend he won't try to screw you on a machine with problems.

You will want to get a 7200 RPM drive and max the RAM. Doing those two upgrades it will give you years of service.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
wow

you better buy that

even a year from now you can sell it for more than 350

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007

Do you know how much 2GB of RAM would cost for this? I do not know how much since I am not sure what kind of RAM this Macbook uses.

squaros

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Tell him you don't want it and then let him know I'll give him $500 for it.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
once you buy it, go get a HD for it. You will spend less than about a $100 on a 320gb HD for it. Then go to http://www.crucial.com/ and do the "scan my system" tool, it will tell you exactly what you need to do to upgrade the ram. for a 4 gig kit (2 x 2gb sticks) your looking about 450 - $60 dollars.

So basically for a rounded total of about $200, you have a macbook on par with even the new alum. macbooks (of course minus a few things such as case, and nvidia card)

I did this and love it. A friend bought a macbook from like late 2007 /early 2008 and sold it to me for $400. I snatched it up, upgraded the ram and HD and now im rocking a Pristine condition white macbook with all the fixings.

Grab it and Grab It Quick.

5280m

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
all i can say is that i wish i had a friend who would sell me a macbook for that price. snatch it up while you can before he wants to up the price.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
That's the same model and age as my MacBook except mine is white and it came with a 60GB hard drive originally. It's a great notebook and very capable of running the latest and greatest of all the software offerings including Leopard, ILife '09, and iWork '09. You can upgrade the RAM to 2GB maximum and it performs well with a larger hard drive including the newest 500GB ones. I'm planning to keep mine as long as possible and would be willing to say that it's worth way more than $350 to me.

Go for it and enjoy.

Apology for the double post but a correction needs to be made as follows:
for a 4 gig kit (2 x 2gb sticks) your looking about 450 - $60 dollars.

The MacBook that the OP is looking at will not function with a 4GB kit installed. The maximum RAM is 2GB and it's true that Crucial's finder will recognize that fact.

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Thanks everyone. Shortly after reading some of the posts in this thread I went and purchased it. I cannot be happier. The Mac has less than 20 hours of use on it. The AC Adapter hasn't been used, but the travel one was used. The apple remote wasn't opened. All boxing and packaging was included. He just reformatted it and didn't even set it all up, so I had the privilege of setting it up. The system is all up to date. It seems fast right now, but I will definitely purchase 2GB of RAM soon since I know it will help a lot. As for the hard drive that isn't a big deal for me. I've lived off a 40GB hard drive in my desktop for the past 7-8 years with no problems.

Thanks everyone for the help as I do appreciate it.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Congrats! Very good move! You'll be happy with it :) What did you end up paying for it?

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
my bad,

I didn't mean to say 450 - 60 dollars, a 4 gig kit will cost about $50 - $60 dollars. But if your will only take the 2gb max, you can get that kit (2 x 1gb) for about half of what I quoted. (the one I bought off a friend allowed for 4gb max)

My correction

Cedric

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Congrats! Very good move! You'll be happy with it :) What did you end up paying for it?

Thanks. I paid $350.

Do you guys have any recommendation on brands of RAM and where to buy it from? In the User's Guide I found where it gives the info on the RAM, but now it just comes down to which brand is the best. I also read the sticky up top, but was looking for more advice.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=MacBook+2.0GHz+Intel+Core+Duo+(13-inch+Black)

It recommended this to me so I will probably get two of these.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=110C6937A5CA7304

Here is a two pack, but I don't think there is an advantage to getting it this way.

So, crucial RAM is good?

...go to http://www.newegg.com and search for crucial or rendition (made by crucial)... both good with lifetime warranty and usually less than the crucial web site...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.