Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luzzerylavender

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
I've been searching around for a cheaper 3rd party upgrade to 4 gb ram on the macbook (early 2009) edition.

And I've read that a lot of macbook owners who have 4gb ram installed have had crashes and such.

Anyone know of this, or if the supposed problems have been fixed?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Just buy reputable RAM, and you'll be fine. The "issue" so to speak is just the macs being picky about the RAM being well made, partially because DDR3 is a new technology.

Crucial, OCZ for a couple, will be fine. Also, a quick forum search should turn up what people here have posted about this issue in the very recent past.

OngL

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2009
Read that are many having issues with OWC's RAM. I just recently bought 2x2GB from MacSales.com and kept my finger crossed while stress-testing it.

I ran memtest osx for 2 passes (an hour or so), techtool's ram test and use it for normal work for two days. It has no freeze or crashes so far.

It has micron chip and labels and I understand there are comments that OWC may ship different brands. Guess this 'luck' stays on.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
The OP might be referring to those that bought the incorrect memory pc-6400 (800 mhz) instead of pc-5300 (667 mhz). It seems that when a 4GB kit was installed using the pc-6400s, the user had big problems but when they put in one of the chips alone or in combination with their old RAM it worked. Most of those effected corrected their problem by purchasing the correct RAM. The same problems would still effect the newest 2009 2.0GHz nVidia MacBooks. -GDF

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.