Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rdallas0720

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Hello. I'm ready to buy my first macbook but I don't want to purchase one this month and only to have a newer one released in a month or two. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Magic 8-ball says......."Maybe".

My guess is this coming summer, perhaps with an announcement a bit earlier (at WWDC?) than the release of the product itself. However, that's purely a guess. I've seen someone guess around April or May, which would be a small speed bump, and then Clarksfield in Q4. It wouldn't be completely unreasonable if all Apple did was bumping up the spec of the base model to the next fastest processor, and re-arranged the price points of the current optional CPUs so that they're at a lower price point, but that's not what I think will happen.

It's all a guess anyway.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
You're kidding right?

These things have been out for all of 4 months. If you wait, be prepared to wait 6-8 months at the minimum.

gjw4u

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Switzerland
OP, the new Unibody MB, and MBP were only just released. The next Macs which ought to be release are the iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac mini.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
my guess is after summer.. when they can sell off the remaining ones to students during the back to school promotions.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I love these threads so much...

076_.gif

To be honest no body knows, except steve-o, but most likely not in the next 2 months. Buy if you need, don't if you don't. Something new will always come out, and it will be better. One safe bet is to not buy the top of the line/newest one, and save the money to buy the next thing when it comes out. You might benefit the most buying the polycarbonate 2.0 macbook which was just updated... 1.5 months ago. Most likely they will not update that in the next 2 months. It's also the cheapest.

Fezzasus

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Technology is a bitch.

You can't seriously wait indefinitely for the next model to come, because there will always be one better if you wait long enough.

The question you must ask is; does the current macbook fulfill what you want in a computer? If not, will the next one?

Now, you're not going to see any major changes with the next version of the macbook. This is a new case design and will probably be around for another 2 years at the minimum, all you will get is a minor speed bump and slightly increased hard disk capacity. Is an extra 200 MHz and 30 GB worth a 3 month wait? doubtful.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
I tell you the day after Apple releases then new Macbook.

But seriously, the next revision will probable happen near the end of the summer and probably be yet another quiet upgrade. I am hoping Apple puts the Firewire back into the unibody version. (of course it will happen 90 days after I upgrade Macbooks)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.