PDA

View Full Version : 3 clicks and light blinks 3 times on start up

gazzabhoy
Mar 1, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hi there,

Converted to Mac about 18 months ago and having first nightmare... I thought it was only windows that crashed.

I had some sort of fatal error message come up on the screen when I was using the machine which said shut it down. I thought nothing of it and pressed the power off button. When I started the mac book pro again it just makes 3 clicks through the speaker and then the light on the front near the open button blinks 3 times and repeats this while showing a gray screen? I have googled this and the suggestions are to reset pram and I have even tried using the install disc to to a hardware test but when I restart and hold down D with the disc in nothing happens, when I restart to do the PRAM (hold apple alt P and R) nothing happens either. Is the keyboard knackered as well? I am really hoping that this isn't a clean install as I haven't backed up this machine...

logana
Mar 1, 2009, 03:27 PM
Sounds like it might be bad ram - try taking one stick out and try to restart - then the other stick.....if that does not work

gazzabhoy
Mar 2, 2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks, I had re-seated the ram, but when I removed one stick it worked.... yippee

logana
Mar 2, 2009, 04:21 AM
Thanks, I had re-seated the ram, but when I removed one stick it worked.... yippee

Ram is cheap - time to put more ram in the MacBook !!!!