Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joerigoesmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Genk, Belgium
I made a website in iweb, published it to a folder on my pc. I can open & use it in Safari without any problems. If i try IE7, i first get some security errors (well thats just windows) but the navigation bar (Home, photoalbum, contact, ..) does not show up on the screen. I just used a template from iweb. is there someone with the same problem?

(ps: i also have dreamweaver CS4 installed)
thx in advance

Joerigoesmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Genk, Belgium
ok i did some research myself, and i found the problem.
Seems it is the new iweb '09 that doesnt work on internet explorer. so you have to change every button/link to a normal hyperlink(normal text).
than it works. Many people complained about this, and Apple is not doing anything about it.

I hope i can help some people by posting it here :)

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Completely irrelevant.

It is. I wouldn't promote Internet Explorer by making IE-compatible sites at all. I'd just put a banner/text on the websites which says something like: "Best viewed without Internet Explorer. Get a decent browser like...etc.".

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
It is. I wouldn't promote Internet Explorer by making IE-compatible sites at all. I'd just put a banner/text on the websites which says something like: "Best viewed without Internet Explorer. Get a decent browser like...etc.".

Would you do that for a company web site? You wouldn't have a job for very long. Despite the pitifulness of IE, it still makes up the majority of browsers so, not getting things to work right for it means a loss of business for companies. Admittedly though, for my personal site I leave a message link for IE users that explains why they should move on.

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Would you do that for a company web site? You wouldn't have a job for very long. Despite the pitifulness of IE, it still makes up the majority of browsers so, not getting things to work right for it means a loss of business for companies. Admittedly though, for my personal site I leave a message link for IE users that explains why they should move on.

But wasting your time trying to make your website working for such a non-standard-compliant browser like IE? It would be better for the website to provide a direct link to a working web browser.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
But wasting your time trying to make your website working for such a non-standard-compliant browser like IE? It would be better for the website to provide a direct link to a working web browser.

Again, if you try that for a company web site and you'll be fired. They don't give a crap how bad IE is. Not working in IE means no money.

Joerigoesmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Genk, Belgium
Again, if you try that for a company web site and you'll be fired. They don't give a crap how bad IE is. Not working in IE means no money.

he is right, i was making a site for a company, and telling the visitors to download firefox is a big fail. unlucky for mac users IE is still the standard web browser for many people.
Webdesigners need to adjust themselves to IE, not the other way around (would be fun tough)

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009

Web sites are supposed to be compatible. And as pointed out, if you choose to design sites that aren't compatible with the most used browser on the planet, you are going to have issues. Mainly finding and keeping a job. That is not going to change any time soon either.

imac4ever

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
@ Joeri

Mate can you tell me about how did you find a solution to make the navigation bar visible ... i have this assignment of making a website prototype and i need the sol urgently ....I did half of the website prototype and found the navigation bar invisible in IE....Pls Help me...How do you change every link into normal link or text ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.