Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
I have $2500 sitting around making no interest. i know apple stock is cheap now and I'm new at investing. I also know apple stock was almost at $200 a share a year ago. do you think it would be wise to invest this money in apple stock? i mean it has to go back up eventually right and should only get better as apples market share expands? thanks

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
It depends on when we hit bottom, and the level of risk you're willing to take. Basically my investment advice is this: If you can afford to lose 100% of your investment go ahead and invest. Otherwise, keep it in a money market fund or in a traditional savings account. Making 0.3% is better than nothing.

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
do you think it would be wise to invest this money in apple stock?

No, I don't think it would be a wise decision for you.

In these market conditions Apple could easily loose another 50% or more. Even if Apple is half as good as you think it is your $2500 worth of opinion is no match for the markets opinion.

Important lesson: Apple is more or less the same 1 year ago as it is today on all measures and still the stock price has fallen 50% since then, same company half the price. So we can assume that Apple is not the determining factor in the price of Apple stock. Most likely the 200 price was an aberration in the opinion of the markets and may not be seen again for many years to come.

After all to go from 200 to 100 is a 50% fall, to go from 100 to 200 is a 100% gain, that's double the distance to recover the loss...not so easy.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I have $2500 sitting around making no interest. i know apple stock is cheap now and I'm new at investing. I also know apple stock was almost at $200 a share a year ago. do you think it would be wise to invest this money in apple stock? i mean it has to go back up eventually right and should only get better as apples market share expands? thanks

It might take a long time for it to go back up. For example, it took 26 years for the Dow to go back where it was before the crash.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. ;)

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
Risk is key. Can you afford to not have that money again? Then, sure, it might be worth the risk. But if not, look to like ING Direct savings account (earns close to 2.5 percent interest); or some sort of CD -- probably 4 percent interest.

Don't let it sit and collect nothing. Make that money work for you.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Only invest what you can afford to lose.

I am not a financial advisor, and you should get professional advice. The following is simply a personal observation.

Best bet in the stock market right now are shares in Canadian banks. They are all strong, and they beat market expectations this past quarter (The big 5 have been reporting results this past week). All but one posted a profit, and the one loss was negligible, and expected by analysts, and better than market predictions. Canadian banks have been rated the strongest in the world. Right now their share prices are depressed because - well the entire market is depressed, and because their share prices are influenced by their southern cousin's bank share prices.

Once the full fallout in the US banking and investment sector is known, the Canadian banks are likely going to be on a shopping spree. They have the capital to spend, and are just waiting to see how much lower the prices are going to get. Canadians tend to hate their banks, because they always seem to be nickel and diming us with fees - but if you own bank stocks, its means you own a money maker.

If you want a real flyer, buy $100 of a mining penny stock. Pick the right one, and they will increase by 10 or 100 fold. Its a gamble, but its better odds than the lottery.

There is an old stock market adage. Buy on bad news, and sell on good news.

Good luck.

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Only invest what you can afford to lose.

I am not a financial advisor, and you should get professional advice. The following is simply a personal observation.

Best bet in the stock market right now are shares in Canadian banks. They are all strong, and they beat market expectations this past quarter (The big 5 have been reporting results this past week). All but one posted a profit, and the one loss was negligible, and expected by analysts, and better than market predictions. Canadian banks have been rated the strongest in the world. Right now their share prices are depressed because - well the entire market is depressed, and because their share prices are influenced by their southern cousin's bank share prices.

Once the full fallout in the US banking and investment sector is known, the Canadian banks are likely going to be on a shopping spree. They have the capital to spend, and are just waiting to see how much lower the prices are going to get. Canadians tend to hate their banks, because they always seem to be nickel and diming us with fees - but if you own bank stocks, its means you own a money maker.

If you want a real flyer, buy $100 of a mining penny stock. Pick the right one, and they will increase by 10 or 100 fold. Its a gamble, but its better odds than the lottery.

There is an old stock market adage. Buy on bad news, and sell on good news.

Good luck.

You would not happen to be a Don Coxe listener by any chance?

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
No.. Who is he? And why do you ask? Is he also full of pithy investing advice based on no professional experience? :D

not quite, he like canadian banks though...along with precious metals and agricultural stocks

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Apple is a financially sound company, that will continue to grow faster than the industry, and is in zero debt.

That being said, we are in tough times right now. People are spending less.

I would wait and see what pans out in the next 8 months.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I'd wait too. Monday, we saw one of the worst stock market hits. The stock market is getting slammed into the ground with no bottom in sight.

I'd at least wait until things stabilize and you start seeing actual gains in the market as opposed to fear/concern/worry about stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.