Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
hi all. i basically have decided to get the formac studeio dv/tv device... i will be using it for analog video capture and some analog audio capture (through rca)...

just wanted to know if anyone had any specific experience with this and if so, any reason not to get it?

at this point i figure within the next week to pull up the cash to get it... it's 400 through formac, though i will try to find a better deal. any ideas on this end would be good though i will be looking in the meantime.

thanks

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I've used the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge on PCs, and it's OK...but not what I'd recommend, unless $$$ is a concern.

I'm not familiar with the Formac, though it certainly appears to be more sturdy/well-made than the Dazzle.

Good luck.:)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I've used the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge on PCs, and it's OK...but not what I'd recommend, unless $$$ is a concern.

I'm not familiar with the Formac, though it certainly appears to be more sturdy/well-made than the Dazzle.

Good luck.:)

yeah, i think the formac is a bit more reliable and better overall.... hopefully someone will have used it hands on at some point...

gernb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2002
i've got a formac studio. it seems to work ok, but i haven't used it for capture...only playback. i use mine to play back video from the time line in final cut through firewire, then take the composite video signal from the formac studio and send it to a video switcher.

generally, it works decent. but i have had a problem i still can't figure out. every once in a while it hangs up...composite video signal displays a pink screen for a few frames, then jumps back to playing video. weird and not too smooth. i suspect it has something to do with the fact that this device is bus powered and maybe it's just not getting enough juice for the split second when this happens.

good luck. i'll be interested to know what your experience ends up being with this piece of gear.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
hey gernb.... is there any way you could try to capture some video for me? just a bit to test it?

if not it's cool, hopefully someone else will have used one. but if you could, it'd be great to have that tested.

interesting problem with the hanging... hmm

what i'll probably do is output my stuff via firewire, then if needed, use the rca from my digital cam to get it to vhs or whatever... is there any reason straight from formac studio would be better than the way i mentioned quality wise?

thanks for the input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.