PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Good Deal?

Mr. Funsocks
Mar 2, 2009, 08:40 PM
So I wanted to get an old 12" ibook or powerbook so I could have a mobile comp for internet and such. I didn't really want to carry my beloved 15" mbp everywhere. I worry about it too much. Especially at school.

I found this on craigslist. Told him I was picking it up tomorrow. Seemed like a great deal imo. Thoughts?

"12 inch ibook G4 in good shape. The battery stays charged approximately 3 hours. There are a few light scratches on case, and around the monitor has a small crack that does not effect performance. I am asking $200 OBO.

1.07 ghz PowerPC G4 processor
1.25 gb of RAM
100 gb hard drive
Dual Layer DVD Super Drive burner
Wireless G Airport card
2 USB 2.0 ports
1 Firewire 400 port
Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard"

http://img.skitch.com/20090303-kwhdc8fe6bx3n8ctq7xheywmxb.jpg

GoCubsGo
Mar 2, 2009, 08:41 PM
For $200 I probably would. It's super old tech and rumored to not even run Snow Leopard, but if you just want it for basics, then what the hell.

Mr. Funsocks
Mar 2, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah that's the main reason I was interested. Seemed like a really good price.

Moriarty
Mar 2, 2009, 09:27 PM
Seems OK. Better than a "netbook" - faster, bigger display, full-blown OS. $200 is a steal, especially with a reasonable 100GB HDD and a maximum 1.25GB of RAM.

Just be VERY wary of Craigslist. Do it in a public place, get a friend to bring the money once you're sure the deal is legit.

QUiKSR20
Mar 3, 2009, 02:21 AM
Id go for it, I just picked up a G4 1.07ghz / 1.25 gb ram for $140 ( but I also fixed a computer for the person selling it to me.

Who cares if it doesn't run snow leopard, You dont need to run the newest of operating systems to get stuff done.

I run Tiger 10.4.11 ( i could run leopard ) but Tiger runs faster and does everything perfect.

Leopard & Snow Leopard would just make this older machine slower and probably wouldn't enable to do anything more.

I use this guy for web browsing, listening to music, email, and MS Office.

No complaints for $200 or less a great deal. Netbooks are cool too but the keyboard is too crammed for me.

Mr. Funsocks
Mar 3, 2009, 05:39 AM
Just be VERY wary of Craigslist. Do it in a public place, get a friend to bring the money once you're sure the deal is legit.

Yeah, I'm meeting him at panera bread next to a shopping mall. Since they have wifi there. I'm going to test every component. Such as specs, wifi card, battery, and superdrive.