Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teeelo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I've got a 13 inch Intel MacBook and recently it just got a black screen and shut down. I started it up again and got the flashing question mark of doom. I tried everything you can do (boot from install CD, reset PRAM etc.) but to no avail.
I thought it was the hard drive that had been corrupted, so I bought a new one (Seagate Momentus, very similar to original drive) and replaced the old drive with the new one and... it still didn't work!
Once again I tried every key combination, the firewire to firewire drive trick, even an external DVD drive but still I cannot get anywhere past the flashing question mark!
Please help I love my Mac!

A few more things that might be relevant:
Before it got the first flashing question mark, it had been on for a long time (with the power cable in).
The internal DVD drive makes a horrible sound when a disc is in it.
I've had it for about one and a half years.

Thanks!

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I've got a 13 inch Intel MacBook and recently it just got a black screen and shut down. I started it up again and got the flashing question mark of doom. I tried everything you can do (boot from install CD, reset PRAM etc.) but to no avail.
I thought it was the hard drive that had been corrupted, so I bought a new one (Seagate Momentus, very similar to original drive) and replaced the old drive with the new one and... it still didn't work!
Once again I tried every key combination, the firewire to firewire drive trick, even an external DVD drive but still I cannot get anywhere past the flashing question mark!
Please help I love my Mac!

A few more things that might be relevant:
Before it got the first flashing question mark, it had been on for a long time (with the power cable in).
The internal DVD drive makes a horrible sound when a disc is in it.
I've had it for about one and a half years.

Thanks!

If you can't boot from the CD(By holding down the C key as you boot, right?) if you can't get into the OS installer screen then something is strangely wrong. If it were harddrive problem you should still be able to get to the screen, if it was the DVD drive you could still be able to get to a Boot menue using Firewire drive(By holding F as you boot up, i thinks) but if you can't boot up from CD, HD, or Firewire I'm thinking LogicBoard problem and depending on how recent you made this purchase you should just to straight to apple after putting the original HD back in...

Sorry i can't be more help. Please somone, anyone, tell me if those boot up options I just told him about are wrong, it's been a while since I've had to repair a MAC.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Have you tried booting into Target Disk Mode? You need another mac for this, but if you connect the two comps with a FireWire cable and boot up your Macbook while holding down the T key, there should be a flashing FireWire icon on your Macbook and your Macbook HD should appear on the other mac's desktop. This will allow you to back up everything just to make sure you don't lose anything. Then I would go straight to an Apple store because I believe the post above was correct when he said it sounds like a logic board problem, although logic board failures usually result in no screen image, so idk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.