Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I built a new iMac and added AppleCare to it, except it doesn't show the AppleCare in my cart nor when I go to pay for the order. Anybody else having this issue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I built a new iMac and added AppleCare to it, except it doesn't show the AppleCare in my cart nor when I go to pay for the order. Anybody else having this issue?
I noticed there's also no AppleCare option on the configuration pages of the new iMacs. Interesting! Maybe just an oversight? I'd call to find out, if you're actually ready to buy. Of course, you could order without it and add it later. You have a year to order it.

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I noticed there's also no AppleCare option on the configuration pages of the new iMacs. Interesting! Maybe just an oversight? I'd call to find out, if you're actually ready to buy. Of course, you could order without it and add it later. You have a year to order it.

There is the option to add AppleCare onto the iMacs, it just doesn't show up in your cart.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is the option to add AppleCare onto the iMacs, it just doesn't show up in your cart.
Too weird! It shows up on the regular store, but not the education store:

Picture 14.jpg

The ArchAngel

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Folks,

Had this problem as well when purchasing a new iMac from the education store. Hop in the Apple store chat, ask the rep for the link, and they'll help you. Apparently it's a known issue.

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Folks,

Had this problem as well when purchasing a new iMac from the education store. Hop in the Apple store chat, ask the rep for the link, and they'll help you. Apparently it's a known issue.

I did exactly what you mentioned and spoke to someone via online chat and they had me search for "Applecare" within the search field of the Apple Store web site. From there, I added the iMac Applecare to my cart and it seems to have worked. I'm not sure if it'll automatically be activated with the iMac or if I'll have to activate myself.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not sure if it'll automatically be activated with the iMac or if I'll have to activate myself.

Q: When I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan, do I need to register it?
A: If you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan at the same time as your Mac, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, or Apple display from the online Apple Store, Apple will register the AppleCare Protection Plan for you. If you purchase your AppleCare Protection Plan and your covered product separately or elsewhere, you will need to register your AppleCare Protection Plan.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Slightly off topic, but Applecare for iMacs can be had on Ebay for about $90. Not as convenient as having it added automatically, but it saves a lot of money.

uefigs139

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2004
Slightly off topic, but Applecare for iMacs can be had on Ebay for about $90. Not as convenient as having it added automatically, but it saves a lot of money.

Has anyone done this? There is a guy selling applecare for $77http://cgi.ebay.com/Applecare-Warranty-plan-for-Apple-iMac-Price-Guarantee_W0QQitemZ120386489843QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem with no shipping, he just emails you the code for it. Sounds kind of shady to me, but he has over 3000 reviews with a 99.9% positive rating.

Bad Paper

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
graphite clamshell
I had exactly this problem when I bought an iMac and Time Capsule via the education store on Tuesday. Had to call last night to have them add AppleCare to the order. It's important to get it on the same order so that it also covers the TC.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I bought AppleCare on ebay for my MacBook. It was around $140 and I got an email with the activation code within half an hour. Way cheaper and faster than buying the box from Apple.

1chocolate1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
New Jersey
I ordered mine from the Ed. store on the first night with no problem. However, when I received my Status it said that it was complete. I called up the phone number and they said that it is automatically added to the computer in the box not sent separately and that I just have to activate it.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Has anyone done this? There is a guy selling applecare for $77http://cgi.ebay.com/Applecare-Warranty-plan-for-Apple-iMac-Price-Guarantee_W0QQitemZ120386489843QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem with no shipping, he just emails you the code for it. Sounds kind of shady to me, but he has over 3000 reviews with a 99.9% positive rating.

I got Applecare for my (last gen) Mini via ebay and saved about $45 over Apple list....but my seller sent me the full box not just the code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.