PDA

View Full Version : Computers to be 'oxygen of the future'

iGav
Mar 31, 2004, 06:02 AM
some interesting stuff... :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3583479.stm

This became patently clear last year when MIT tested a prototype system which monitored a person's location and, seamlessly, used the best available communications device to reach them.

crenz
Mar 31, 2004, 07:14 AM
It's very interesting, but also quite scary. Imagine the government forcing you to carry ID tags under your skin or something...

Raid
Mar 31, 2004, 10:39 AM
It's very interesting, but also quite scary. Imagine the government forcing you to carry ID tags under your skin or something...

Good point Crenz, there are devices already that transmit a unique code, that maufacturers want to use link here. (http://news.softpedia.com/news/2/2003/July/3886.shtml). Now some may say the privacy concerns are mute because you need fairly close proximity for the systems to work. But it's not too far of a stretch to think that they are boosting the range on these devices. Even still, if an interested party wanted to track you movements with one of the current devices then all they would have to do is put a recivers in doorways, elevators, street signs, or hallways of interest to know you've been there...

On second thought I'd rather just look at the label on my clothing to see which was setting is needed. :(

wdlove
Mar 31, 2004, 12:28 PM
It seems that all these devices will be very valuable to our future. Items to make our life easier. Many will help those disabled.

jsw
Mar 31, 2004, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately, privacy will continue to diminish. The continuing reduction in price and increase in quality of monitoring devices assures that it will, regardless of what role the government decides to play.

Knowing that we'll lose more and more of it, I'd at least hope that some of these technologies could be put to good use, such as deterring crime (or at least aiding in apprehending the criminals) or helping people in distress.

I don't like it. But it is inevitable. Legal or not.

Raid
Mar 31, 2004, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately, privacy will continue to diminish. The continuing reduction in price and increase in quality of monitoring devices assures that it will, regardless of what role the government decides to play.

Knowing that we'll lose more and more of it, I'd at least hope that some of these technologies could be put to good use, such as deterring crime (or at least aiding in apprehending the criminals) or helping people in distress.

I don't like it. But it is inevitable. Legal or not.

I don't know how inevitable it would be, but with the current world-wide apathy you're probably right. If they do start to use these I'll be getting a bug detector and randomly placing these things all over the city... on buses on pets, heck anything that moves. At worst it's an annoyance to Big Brother and a peacefull protest against the loss of privacy. At best ... it's an alibi. ;)

Sure there are some benefits to these devices, but I would legislate that the manufacturer must make consumers aware that the device exists on the product and are able to remove it once purchased. It would also be nice if these 'help full' tags are consumer add-ons designed to only respond to a specific coded signal... That means you could set up your house to turn on all your lights when you walk to the front door, but wouldn't happen for a neighbour or visitor.