Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msb65

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I am considering buying a new white MB. Before I buy I have a few questions:

- The maximum advertised memory it holds is 4 GB. However, can it actually hold more? Will it utilize anything over 4 GB?

- I will probably want to upgrade the harddrive. Where can I find out which type of harddrive is compatible with this computer?

Thanks!

Mike

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
It should unofficially support upto 6GB RAM

For HDD, anything 2.5" SATA, no more than 9.5mm thick

msb65

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hey guys,

I appreciate the replies!

Even though I can theoretically jam my computer full of memory, can Leopard utilize it? Or would I be paying for memory that will never be used? Will Snow Leopard assist with this?

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Hey guys,

I appreciate the replies!

Even though I can theoretically jam my computer full of memory, can Leopard utilize it? Or would I be paying for memory that will never be used? Will Snow Leopard assist with this?

Snow Leopard is supposed to require less memory actually.
I guess the question is, What are you going to be doing on the computer? 4GB always comes in handy for photo editing and video editing

msb65

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Snow Leopard is supposed to require less memory actually.
I guess the question is, What are you going to be doing on the computer? 4GB always comes in handy for photo editing and video editing

I will be doing some home audio recording and processing satellite images with some unix shell scripts.

The latter I was able to do with my now defunct 1.33 Ghz Powerbook G4, so I believe I should see an improvement with that even with the white MB. I'm not sure if memory or processor speed will help me the most with this.

Of course I'd love to have an aluminum MB but they lack the Firewire necessary for my audio recording, and a MBP is too expensive.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I will be doing some home audio recording and processing satellite images with some unix shell scripts.

The latter I was able to do with my now defunct 1.33 Ghz Powerbook G4, so I believe I should see an improvement with that even with the white MB. I'm not sure if memory or processor speed will help me the most with this.

Of course I'd love to have an aluminum MB but they lack the Firewire necessary for my audio recording, and a MBP is too expensive.

I'd say go for the 4GB. Better to have to much than not enough...

msb65

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I'd say go for the 4GB. Better to have to much than not enough...

Yeah I'm just wondering if I should get Apple's 4 GB configuration, which is cheaper now, especially with a student discount. OR should I max that baby out with 6 GB of 3rd party RAM. I'd only do that if I knew the computer would use it all.

shvartsies

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
New Jersey, USA
warning: do not, i repeat, do not buy ram from apple!!!!!
they overprice like hell!

buy the stock 2gb and then upgrade it with ram bought from a website or microcenter or something of the sort

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51

buy the stock 2gb and then upgrade it with ram bought from a website or microcenter or something of the sort

Agreed.

OP, check out crucial.com
Do the system scan if your unfamiliar on what to look for.

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia

That's true. There are places that sell RAM for at least half the price of Apple's RAM. I say get a 4GB RAM kit (x2 2GB) from a 3rd party brand (I recommend Kingston).

superspud

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
replacing both the hd and the ram is a snap...

i upgraded my white macbook to 4gigs the other day, literally took me 5 minutes... i'll be doing my hd as soon as i feel like messing with the migration process... just sounds like a hassle...

I got the Gskill 2x2gb ram from newegg... there are HUNDREDS of reviews for it on newegg, works perfectly for me and many others and cost me $56 to have it shipped to my doorstep, i think you'll have a hard time beating that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.