Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDaddy24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
I know this is probably an easy answer but when i first got my aluminum mac book there was a download folder on my dock and it showed a whole list of all my downloads but i must have removed it from the dock. How do i get it back ?

daisun

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
Click the finder icon and it should open up a finder window showing your home folder which should be your username, macintosh hd>users>'username'. In there you will find a folder named 'downloads' drag that into the right side of your dock, ie. next to the trash.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The explanation above answers your question...

BUT, if you dislike the "stacks" feature like I do, then you can set it up so your download folder opens in finder. All you have to do is create an alias of your download folder and then drag it into the dock.

Just a random piece of info if you're interested :)

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Command-Clicking a stack will open the corresponding folder in the finder.

Another random piece of info for you... :)

imapfsr

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Victoria, B.C.
nope7308,
Are you saying that following your instructions I can have it so my downloads file in dock would just open straight to the file if I clicked on it rather than the stupid expanding stacky thing. Just command click on the file and select 'create alias'? Not sure as I have never done that before.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.