Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has released a free application that delivers Kindle book-reading to the iPhone:
Kindle for iPhone allows Apple iPhone and iPod touch owners to read Kindle books using a simple, easy-to-use interface. You can shop for hundreds of thousands of books at http://www.amazon.com/kindlestore, and wirelessly transfer the books to your iPhone or iPod touch. Enjoy Amazon’s low prices on Kindle books, including New York Times Best Sellers and most new releases for $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
Features include:

- Buy a Kindle book from your Mac, PC, or iPhone using a Web browser and wirelessly transfer the books to your iPhone
- Read first chapters of any book for free before you buy
- Download the Kindle books you already own for free — they are automatically backed up on Amazon.com
- Adjust the text size, add bookmarks, and view the annotations you created on your Kindle device

The iPhone client will also allow you to seamlessly switch back and forth between your Kindle device and Kindle for iPhone while keeping bookmarks and reading location synced between the devices.

App Store Link: Kindle for iPhone, Free

Article Link: Amazon Releases Free 'Kindle for iPhone' Application

zulhilmi

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
I am donwloading it and hope that it can be used to buy ebooks from outside the US

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Finally!

Nice to see Amazon giving in, and actually it'll be nice to see SJ proven wrong. 'Nobody reads anymore,' wasn't it? ;)

LloydBraun89

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
just downloaded. kind of annoying that you have to go to the website to download stuff. wondering why it cant be built into the app. oh well.

danielpi

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Heh.

I love SJ, but am looking forward to seeing him eat his words. "Nobody reads anymore." What?! I think that's pretty good evidence that Steve needs to get himself some better and smarter friends.

As for the practicality of the app... it gives me a neckache just thinking about someone trying to read "War and Peace" on a 3.5 inch screen.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Anyone else having trouble adding subscriptions? My iPhone shows up in my Amazon account as registered, but when I go to add a subscription, it says that I don't have a registered device.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

A useful app finaly

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
Jobs' quote was with regard to a statistic

I love SJ, but am looking forward to seeing him eat his words. "Nobody reads anymore." What?! I think that's pretty good evidence that Steve needs to get himself some better and smarter friends.

I'm sure Jobs and his friends read. I bet most successful people do. His quote that "people don't read anymore" was based on a statistic that 40% of people in the U.S. read one book or less in 2007.

Here is the relevant passage from the New York Times:
"It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore," he said. "Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole [Kindle] conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore."

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yah, what's with this being a US-only release? I never considered eBooks until hearing about this. I'm not buying a Kindle, but would read books on my iPhone. Come to Canada already! Apparently it will have a US trial run of 6 months?

CoolPuppy

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Kindle for iPhone

Kindle is US only for a variety of reasons. Ask Apple how easy it was to negotiate cellular contracts worldwide. Eventually Amazon will get there, but obviously not yet. Plus Kindle is (right now) CDMA (Sprint in the US), so it's not turnkey to simply port the device.

Also, I could have sworn that Apple prevented developers from extracting "secondary revenue" through their apps. I believe TechCrunch blogged about this with their recent Tapulous 2.0 entry. This is why you can't purchase books via Kindle for iPhone. You can only purchase via the Web or via the Kindle itself.

For Kindle owners, this is an awesome, awesome, awesome release. For non-Kindle owners, keep bugging Amazon to get you the device in your locale. It's amazing.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Finally!

Nice to see Amazon giving in, and actually it'll be nice to see SJ proven wrong. 'Nobody reads anymore,' wasn't it? ;)

I don't read anymore, not leisurely anyway. SJ is not wrong there. And secretly, he knew the iPhone would make a difference in this. It will for me once the Kindle app comes to Canada.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
books seem to be 9.99 im convinced almost to buy Joe Torres book now if this app didnt come out i wouldt have conciderd it but now i will :D

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
New Jersey
I love the idea behind this! Maybe a great opportunity for Amazon. and AMZN

Question though - how many of you would prefer to sit/lie/curl up with an electronic screen (even the Kindle's) to forgo the purchase of real hard copy book? just wondering here.

I would deff go for reading magazines on it - and not have to deal with the post office ripping them up, but a book.... I don't know.....

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I love the idea behind this! Maybe a great opportunity for Amazon. and AMZN

Question though - how many of you would prefer to sit/lie/curl up with an electronic screen (even the Kindle's) to forgo the purchase of real hard copy book? just wondering here.

I would deff go for reading magazines on it - and not have to deal with the post office ripping them up, but a book.... I don't know.....

im more of a ebook reader person i been using my jb before and now i may finally use this for my books before this app there werent any books i was really into on the app store. Now though im consedering buying The Yankee Years 10 bucks and i may not have read it other hand this is a great move by amazon.

on another Note i wonder how this will hurt Kindle Sales.

darkscreamz

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
"Not available in Australia"

Annoying, I understand getting the rights etc. is a pain, but god damn this would be handy :(

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
sorry, still not convinced this whole ebook thing will ever go anywhere.

its been out for a good 5 years man if its not dead now it wont be anytime soon. and by the way the ebook reader that was shown on the iphone store commercial has nearly doubled in sales from what i read since they started airing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.