Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verveshen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Bought one iMac last night, definitely the first one in my city. Anyway, the screen quality was worse than I expected. Dark blotch in the centre of the screen with vertical dark strips. The manager was the best in-store manager I ever dealt with opening another two iMac for me, though unfortunately, they are suffered from the same problem!!! I was wondering how the hell Apple puts up the price while dropping the quality?! :( I have been a loyal customer for years! :confused: If not for the Mac OS X, I definitely will not buy any Mac machines again! :(

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Sounds like a bad build batch hit that store. I hope they report the serial number range back to the mothership.

verveshen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Actually I asked if he can order a screen replacement for me as I've bought the apple care as well. He isn't willing to do so saying that "even I did that for you, it would turn out to be exact screen you are looking at now!" :( I have been saving for days to buy a long-waiting-for iMac! Sigh...

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
HAHAHA!! are you serious? I hope its a fluke but it would not surprise me given Apple new QC track record. They are really cheaping out and getting greedy with those iMacs.

This new price hike and performance drop seems to be some passive aggressive way of killing their desktop market and going to all mobile devices.

Apple must have their best and brightest on the iphone and macbooks and the new hire noobs working in the desktop computer division.

verveshen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
HAHAHA!! are you serious? I hope its a fluke but it would not surprise me given Apple new QC track record. They are really cheaping out and getting greedy with those iMacs.

That's true. My colleague has a TitaniumBook dating back to 2002 (maybe?) It has a perfect screen lighting evenly, no dead pixel nor yellowish issue. Even my 20" Cinema display is 99% perfect apart from one dead pixel at the left-bottom corner. But having a look at the quality of the new iMac, seriously, I am hoping that Apple isn't going to destroy its reputation of manufacturing the best computer in the world.:(

shinchan72

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Just a heads up they are not all like that.

I bought the base config 24" yesterday and it has just a good a screen as my previous 24" alum Imac in the other room.

Zero dead pixels either.

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
While I don't doubt the OP, I have bought two iMacs today and both have great screens. Hopefully there's just a small batch that are bad.

verveshen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
While I don't doubt the OP, I have bought two iMacs today and both have great screens. Hopefully there's just a small batch that are bad.

choose white solid color as the background and hide the dock. see if you can see the dark blotch in the centre of screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.