Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi all,

Does anyone know if Mac mini (Mar 09) can handle 8GB RAM? Has anyone tried?

Thanks.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I'm pretty sure its limited to 4gb. Otherwise it would get an option for the $1000 more for the 8gb option (why wouldnt apple do this if they can make the $$).

Spares

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure its limited to 4gb. Otherwise it would get an option for the $1000 more for the 8gb option (why wouldnt apple do this if they can make the $$).

don't be fooled, macbooks are capable of running with 6 gigs of RAM but its not offered on the site

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I just read something about this on 123macmini

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1155.html

Thanks for posting this. I have been on the lookout for conclusive proof of the max memory the new minis will be able to use. The story you linked to said:

Should advise people that Apple has definitely limited the new Mac mini to only being able to properly utilizing up to 4.0GB of memory. Whether it's a real chipset limitation or an EFI Apple set limitation - while the Mac mini will accept 2 x 4GB and show 8GB of memory installed, once you get applications that result in more than 4.0GB being utilized, the whole system slows down to a crawl. The MacBook Unibody 13" and Unibody Pro 15" has the same issue with more than 6.0GB installed - fine up to 6GB utilized, craps out when 8GB is installed as soon as the 6GB memory utilization point hit... At least in the case on the Unibody, doesn't seem to be an Apple set EFI limit as Apple officially supports up to 4GB in those MacBooks while up to 6GB does work and offer benefit.

Bottom line - don't try to put 8GB into a new Mac mini (or any Mac mini for that matter..) as it's a no go.

:eek::apple::eek:

Say it isn't so... Purposely limiting the mini to 4GB, when if in fact it can technically utilize more, would just be ridiculous. I did notice in the quote above that they state 2x4GB does not work, however they never really said if 1x2GB and 1x4GB actually allows the mini to utilize 6GB.

I am still going to keep my fingers crossed until some other reports pop up stating whether or not it might be possible...

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
if apple did limit the memory in the firmware like they did with the core duo machines, then that's a big bummer

inVaUSA

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Virginia
why?

what are you doing that you need 8GB of ram on a mini? I could understand that if you were able to upgrade the processor, but it isn't socketed.

Michael Belisle

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
College Station, TX, USA
what are you doing that you need 8GB of ram on a mini? I could understand that if you were able to upgrade the processor, but it isn't socketed.

You've asked the inevitable question that someone always asks in a thread of this type. (512K ought to be enough for anyone, right?)

Mac OS X will use as much memory as you give it. When you run a dozen programs at once, virtualize an OS (or two), or run memory-hungry programs like Logic Pro or Mainstage, you pass 4 GB of active memory rather easily.

I have a Mac Pro with 24 GB of RAM and I'm usually using at least 14 GB by the end of the day. I also just bought a new Mac mini and I'd add more than 4 GB too, if it supported it and it was economical (neither of which are currently true).

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
No one has tried 6GB yet and reported on it that I've found....I'm holding out hope 6GB will work since it does on the iMac and MB.

I second that thought. Would be curious to see if a 2+4 would work.

- Phrehdd

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Maybe no one has tried because the 4 GB DDR3 memory goes for $350+ per stick.

Hopefully the prices will drop soon, and somebody will give it a try...

rrijkers

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The Netherlands
Maybe no one has tried because the 4 GB DDR3 memory goes for $350+ per stick.

Hopefully the prices will drop soon, and somebody will give it a try...

The other same mobo machine can handle it and nvidia told us that too. Way overpriced now, better to just upgrade RAM now and upgrade the rest when it's affordable in about a year or 1.5

libertyforall

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
8 GB RAM with EFI 1.2 Update?!

Hrmm, is this Mac Mini EFI update for supporting 8 GB RAM now?!

Anyone test it? What are the latest Apple memory kits? One has to assume bigger ones... :cool:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL888

"About Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2
This update improves compatibility with the latest Apple memory kits on Mac mini computers."

Maybe possible with a firmware upgrade and better supported in Snow Leopard...

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Say it isn't so... Purposely limiting the mini to 4GB, when if in fact it can technically utilize more, would just be ridiculous.

They did it with the original Core Duo/Solo minis - they won't boot with more than 2GB installed. The Core 2 Duo machines are identical and can have 4GB installed.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Yes you can, a resent EFI Firmware upgrade makes up to 8 Gigs possible. If you have the money. 2009 mac mini and the new mini and server ones two.

(engage mac mini teardown)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

these days you get more value upgrading to more RAM than a faster CPU

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.