Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Anybody have an opinion about using the new mini with logic studio? It does have FW800 and 5 USB, and one could hook it up to a decent size monitor... change the HDD to a 7200rpm and max out the RAM... audio in/out... seems like it could work, no?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I was going to ask that same question.

I think it would work for most users.

I don't know about Mainstage though.

CalumC

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Leeds, UK
Easy peasy. I know someone who does large projects using a 2nd gen mac mini in pro tools, you'll have no trouble.

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
It will most definitely work fine if you upgrade the HD and max out RAM. Any system is going to eventually reach its limits depending on the track count, plug ins, and virtual instruments. Unless you are doing some really huge projects an upgraded Mini should be fine.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thanks, I figured as much. Frankly, I'm pretty happy with the mini update, I think it's a pretty good machine for what it is (maybe a touch overpriced). The iMac update was much worse, IMHO :)

The other thing is, with all the "core" services, how is the new mini fixed to take on Snow Leopard... anything missing? I can see how perhaps the integrated graphics might be an issue, but how do you see it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.