PDA

View Full Version : PPC G5 2.0 Better than an Intel Core Duo 2.0 ???

Finalcutpro78
Mar 4, 2009, 11:56 PM
As far as performance is the Intel 2.0 duo a chip in the Mac mini equivalent to the dual 2.0 PPC IBM architecture?

Yes I have a nice PPC G5 Dual 2.0 and I was debating on getting an upgrade. Right now I'm really pissed that I spent $2,000 for this tower only 3 years ago and now most software co's are not writing apps for the older IBM PPC architecture. I can't even stream netflix movies on it.

In order to upgrade I would have to spend $2,500 for a new Mac Pro and thats not about to happen. Or I could sell this for $1,000 and buy a Mac Mini or iMac but both of those really aren't my cup of tea. You can't run dual monitors or add internal HD's to either one so it looks like I am stuck.

What other options do I have here? With the economy the way it is I don't want to spend hardly any more money.

Also, does the mac Mini and iMac run FCP ok??

NT1440
Mar 4, 2009, 11:57 PM
As far as performance is the Intel 2.0 duo a chip in the Mac mini equivalent to the dual 2.0 PPC IBM architecture?

Yes I have a nice PPC G5 Dual 2.0 and I was debating on getting an upgrade. Right now I'm really pissed that I spent $2,000 for this tower only 3 years ago and now most software co's are not writing apps for the older IBM PPC architecture. I can't even stream netflix movies on it.

In order to upgrade I would have to spend $2,500 for a new Mac Pro and thats not about to happen. Or I could sell this for $1,000 and buy a Mac Mini or iMac but both of those really aren't my cup of tea. You can't run dual monitors or add internal HD's to either one so it looks like I am stuck.

What other options do I have here? With the economy the way it is I don't want to spend hardly any more money.

Also, does the mac Mini and iMac run FCP ok??
The new mini will run dual monitors, and has a speedy FW 800 for a nice external drive.

Just suggesting...

MasterNile
Mar 5, 2009, 12:00 AM
I believe the Intel 2.0 C2D is better than the G5, you can now run 2 monitors of the current Mac Mini, I believe it will handle Final Cut Pro but not sure about that one, true no adding internal hard drives (unless you want to try to switch out the ODD for another HDD but I don't know if that will work) but they do now have FW800 on the Mac Mini which is better than it used to be.

Chaos123x
Mar 5, 2009, 12:59 AM
I can't even stream netflix movies on it.

DAMN that sucks.

The G4 mini's used to run FCP fine.

I think the new intel ones Apple has created ways so the programs won't even load.

Finalcutpro78
Mar 5, 2009, 01:23 AM
DAMN that sucks.

The G4 mini's used to run FCP fine.

I think the new intel ones Apple has created ways so the programs won't even load.

Well netflix wont stream because they use Silverlight which is Microsofts version of flash - and it doesnt work with PPC macs!

MasterNile
Mar 5, 2009, 01:43 AM
Have you thought about setting up a SSD RAID inside a Mac Mini and using an external FW800 HD or 2 for storage?

xraydoc
Mar 5, 2009, 11:51 PM
FYI, not only will the new mini support dual displays, including one up to 30", but so will the iMacs. They've all supported a second display for some time now.