PDA

View Full Version : Crazy problem with my g5 powermac

NIPRING
Mar 5, 2009, 12:14 AM
ok, today i installed 4 brand new matched kingston 1gb mem sticks in my g5 1.8dp as well as hooked up a new lcd. upon restart the usb keyboard and BT mouse did not work, so i restarted again. everything seemed ok for a minute but then it happened again, so i plugged my wired mouse into the front of the tower, nothing. restart again this time both wired mouse and bt mouse are working as well as wired keyboard. i unplug the mouse, get a glass of water, sit back down to my mac and the mouse and keyboard are non-responsive. restart again:mad:

heres what it comes down to, if i stop moving the mouse for more than 5 seconds i lose all input to my mac. bt says its still connected but is un responsive. i tried putting the old ram back in but its the same results. i used memtest on both old and new ram, all passed. i cant figure what the hell is going on. as im typing this with one hand the other is constantly moving the mouse or ill have to restart. please dont be the logic board!

a little help please:(

simplymuzik3
Mar 5, 2009, 05:36 AM
try switching back to old display and old ram. Then it should work like it used to. If that doesn't work then there must be another problem. Btw, ho long have you had you g5? Any problems with the logic board? I'm considering getting one tomorrow 1.8 DP. How reliable has your machine been? Tiger or leopard?

NIPRING
Mar 5, 2009, 06:28 AM
i dont understand what the monitor would have to do with it. the previous was an apple acrylic adc and the new one is a dell sp2309w. ill have to try after work today switching those around, but last night i put the old ram back in and it was acting the same way:confused:

California
Mar 5, 2009, 07:10 AM
i dont understand what the monitor would have to do with it. the previous was an apple acrylic adc and the new one is a dell sp2309w. ill have to try after work today switching those around, but last night i put the old ram back in and it was acting the same way:confused:

Reseat your video card and zap your pram. Also, clean out the dust on that G5, it can actually affect logic boards. I mean really clean it. You have a dvi and adc connector on your card, right? Also check your keyboard and mouse settings and your SLEEP settings.

chedda
Mar 5, 2009, 07:33 AM
It could be a problem with the seating of the ram i know because it happened to me. You will have to methodically check them all and make sure they are all pushed in and secured well. Otherwise i'm afraid it looks a little more serious.

Earl Urly
Mar 5, 2009, 09:24 AM
Sounds like there's a chance the front panel assembly might have shorted out/become defective. It's the little removeable module that houses the power switch, USB and FireWire port on the front panel. May have been just coincidence.

Kingston RAM is good quality and they had a flap back when lots of their RAM ******* the bed on the Mac so these days they are very careful to make sure their stated models run on them.

NIPRING
Mar 5, 2009, 10:29 PM
Well, I'm very very happy to report that I've figured out the problem. My G5 didnt come with Bluetooth built in so i was using a USB D-Link DBT-120 Rev. B3 bluetooth module. THAT was the troublemaker. I unplugged everything except the wired mouse and wired keyboard.....no freezing. I try adding the D-Link again, within 5 seconds it would freeze up. I removed it, restarted (forcibly, and i hate doing it that way) works perfectly.

On a side note i recently attempted to add the a1044 internal BT card but accidentally broke off the connector in the logic board but luckily was able to remove the piece from the socket. So naturally when i suspected that the D-link BT was the issue i feared that maybe one of the internal BT's pins got stuck in that socket and was causing this.

But i grabbed a different Kensington BT USB adapter out of my MAME cab and plugged it into my G5 :D Bluetooth works like a champ again. I'm sooo relieved! I cant tell you how worried i was. Especially when i was trying to research this on the web and i was reading alllll these horror stories about dying G5s :eek:.

Anyway, thanks to those who offered there assistance.

:apple::D

voyagerd
Mar 5, 2009, 10:35 PM
I have the single cpu 1.8GHz G5 and I've had a similar problem a couple of times with the D-Link USB adapter. Basically, it doesn't freeze the computer, but blocks all USB input. I think I've only had it about 3 times though, and a restart fixed it, I think it happened while I was printing, at least the last time.