PDA

View Full Version : How to get info from SMS/E-Mail into a App..

mr war
Mar 5, 2009, 05:16 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to the IPhone App development scene and would greatly appreciate a "pointer"!!! (programming jokes - excellent!!)

I was wondering if it is at all possible to get the contents of a text message (SMS) or e-mail into an IPhone app?

As a civil engineer i often work with 3 sets of 9 figure co-ordinates (Easting, Northing, Level) and i'm working on an App that will take these co-ordinates from the message (usually sent to me because i've left them in the office) and present them for easy viewing - better than trying to work it out from a text!!

If anyone has any top tips or has encountered any pit falls then a comment or two would go a long way!

many thanks to all...

Kay Warner.
Newbie programmer

robbieduncan
Mar 5, 2009, 05:29 AM
You can't read the SMS or email databases from your app at all (at least using the official SDK, it may be possible on jailbroken phones: I know nothing about that though).

mr war
Mar 6, 2009, 03:02 AM
Thanks for that robbieduncan, you've saved me a fair bit of heartache!

Although, as an alternative to actually accessing the SMS or E-Mail content directly, i was thinking there might be way to "sort" the messages?

So for example, a text message or e-mail sent from a colleague could be placed into the App, as apposed to going into the native SMS / E-mail viewer? is that possible at all?

Feel free to say if you think i'm on a hiding to nowhere with this one!!

Many thanks,

Kay

robbieduncan
Mar 6, 2009, 04:48 AM
Feel free to say if you think i'm on a hiding to nowhere with this one!!

That's basically the case: you can't do anything to the built in apps. Your only access it to open them with a new email/SMS with details provided by you filled in: you cannot open an existing message, sort the messages, jump to a specific message, delete a message etc...