PDA

View Full Version : Can Microsoft Give Apple A Run For The Money In Touch Comput...

MacBytes
Mar 5, 2009, 07:56 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Can Microsoft Give Apple A Run For The Money In Touch Computing? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090305085626)
Description:: No.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

cRuNcHiE
Mar 5, 2009, 08:08 AM
Computer says no

r.j.s
Mar 5, 2009, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure why that article didn't mention Windows Mobile, which has been MS's way of touch computing for years ...

I guess you could say that WM was successful, but I think the iPhone/iPod Touch has better UI and is a lot more user friendly.

Winni
Mar 5, 2009, 08:42 AM
I guess you could say that WM was successful, but I think the iPhone/iPod Touch has better UI and is a lot more user friendly.

Yes. It's also a lot more proprietary, closed down and you are completely dependent on Apple's arbitrary decisions to get software on that device.

Microsoft certainly has not the reputation of respecting their customers free will, but compared to Apple, they sure appear like the early French democracy while Apple appears like the French monarchy.

r.j.s
Mar 5, 2009, 08:45 AM
Yes. It's also a lot more proprietary, closed down and you are completely dependent on Apple's arbitrary decisions to get software on that device.

While true, one could argue that the closed system leads to higher quality, more stability and a better overall user experience.

EmperorDarius
Mar 5, 2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feBYyyUhfbg

dornoforpyros
Mar 5, 2009, 09:08 AM
Can Microsoft do this? Yes absolutely, they've managed to take on sony & nintendo in the gaming market, so they are capable of doing some great work and releasing a great product.

Will they do it? Probably not, time and time again Microsoft has managed to miss the mark, zune, windows mobile, 10 version of windows vista.

talkingfuture
Mar 5, 2009, 09:14 AM
They are capable, but the hard part is delivering on it. I think they may need to be more active on the hardware front rather than relying on supplying software to others.

Saladinos
Mar 5, 2009, 09:56 AM
I don't think they can. Microsoft has no direction. They're too large.

Look at WinFX (now .Net 3.0). That was meant to be a revolutionary new framework for Windows, to replace Win32 (~ equiv. Cocoa vs. Carbon). It's a fantastic system with support for hardware acceleration, vector graphics and 3D. Where is it now? Struggling to find any support, even by Microsoft themselves. I even found a blog post from a MS employee working on WinFX saying that calling it .Net 3.0 would be doing WinFX an injustice. This was, of course, before the name was decided upon.

Windows Mobile has never had much direction. It only managed to survive because it never had any competition, either. As soon as the competition emerged, WinMo v.7 went through countless delays and is now scheduled for sometime between now and the return of the dinosaurs.

Apple know that touch doesn't make sense for computers right now. They're mature enough to hold off until they can get it right. Microsoft isn't. I haven't seen a single compelling computer touch demo. How many times can you place photos at odd angles before it becomes a gimmick? It works on the iPhone because the whole UI is designed just for it (it needs its own UI - you can't it share with the mouse to cut on development time), and because the iPhone doesn't have space for another input method.

Microsoft, grow up. You're like a teenager who's got his first paycheque and can't wait to spend it. Apple's saving to buy a car or put a deposit down on a house.

jayducharme
Mar 5, 2009, 10:23 AM
I think that MS is dropping the ball with Surface. It's one of the few truly revolutionary things they've created. It's the first collaborative computing device, where teams can work together in real time on the same machine. That has incredible potential for businesses, schools, graphic arts.... There's currently no other platform like it. Unfortunately, MS doesn't really seem to know how to market it. Maybe they could get some help from Jerry Seinfeld.

BongoBanger
Mar 5, 2009, 11:29 AM
Of course they will. Since most of the applications are going to be enterprise level they'll be well ahead of Apple on this one.

thunderweb
Mar 5, 2009, 11:40 AM
Maybe one of you can answer this but honestly, what is the real practicality of a touch screen computer? Other than the 'cool' factor I don't see a real effective use of a touch screen computer. The iPhone and iPod touch are different because they are handheld devices. IMO I just don't see it being real practical. Of course one day I'll probably own one anyway if Apple ever releases it...

IJ Reilly
Mar 5, 2009, 11:54 AM
Can Microsoft catch Apple?

You've got to love the question!

LeviG
Mar 5, 2009, 11:59 AM
Mobile computing (ie pda's/phones etc) then currently apple is ahead in terms of the interface but maybe not completely in the underlying code as ms supports more products etc.

On the Desktop/Laptop then its the other way around as officially there is no touchscreen based os from apple.

EmperorDarius
Mar 5, 2009, 12:26 PM
Mac + Graphics tablet > Windows 7 + Touch Screen

r.j.s
Mar 5, 2009, 12:55 PM
Mac + Graphics tablet > Windows 7 + Touch Screen

Minus the accuracy of a graphics tablet.

Pnut13
Mar 5, 2009, 01:21 PM
Can Microsoft do this? Yes absolutely, they've managed to take on sony & nintendo in the gaming market, so they are capable of doing some great work and releasing a great product.
saying that they are taking on those two is ok.
Saying that they release great products, especially when you mention their gaming side, that their gaming console, has had so so many problems. RRoD, Too warm HDD, scratching game disks and cds, etc..
If that is a great product to you, i don't know what to tell you

Will they do it? Probably not, time and time again Microsoft has managed to miss the mark, zune, windows mobile, 10 version of windows vista.

plus Xbox 360, Xbox 1, Windows 7 which is full of hurt and fail ( i have uysed it on Parallels and Bootcamp and i have never seen such an unstable OS.

Can they give Apple a run for the money in touch computing? Maybe, but even if they do APple will make more money off of iPods and Iphones, than MS can make with touch screen software for PC's
People seem to be using cheeper netbooks onm that side, so it is not an automatic guarantee that this will work for them.

Tesselator
Mar 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
Umm, didn't MS license/implement MT technology before Apple? I know I was looking demos of console desks with MT quite awhile before the iPhone was released or even announced. I dunno how long before though - a year? 8 months? Like that yo.

So shouldn't it be: "Can Apple Give MS a Run For Their Money?"
..............To which the answer is of course: Yes.

Or even: "Apple Steals MS's Touch Thunder - Lightning and all." :)

Silencio
Mar 5, 2009, 01:35 PM
I think that MS is dropping the ball with Surface. It's one of the few truly revolutionary things they've created. It's the first collaborative computing device, where teams can work together in real time on the same machine. That has incredible potential for businesses, schools, graphic arts.... There's currently no other platform like it. Unfortunately, MS doesn't really seem to know how to market it. Maybe they could get some help from Jerry Seinfeld.

One, they haven't finished it yet AFAIK. Two, Surface is a total hack job that M$ just dragged out of the lab to take some attention away from the iPhone's multi-touch interface. Since it's "powered" by cameras under the glass tabletop, you can't exactly bring Surface to a desktop or laptop computer.

Surface will be virtually forgotten in 10 years' time.

Justibackwardsn
Mar 5, 2009, 03:26 PM
Computer says no

*cough*

I don't think Microsoft could successfully pull it off. And by successfully, I mean userfriendly and without error messages popping up everywhere.

r.j.s
Mar 5, 2009, 03:52 PM
... without error messages popping up everywhere.

or any other random notification message ...

Rodimus Prime
Mar 5, 2009, 07:21 PM
I see the 2 things they are comparing as very different. Apple touch tech and application is very different than microsoft's

Microsoft is set up for an enterprise environment and how it is currently designed for and used it is really good.

Now long term I see some useage for it and how the rest of Microsoft multimedia set up which quite frankly is better than apple has. I can see them at some point producing coffee tables tided into a computer and TV for controlling movies and choosing channels.

For example ATT uverse system is powered off microsoft. I could see things like that going over very well with a coffee table like set up in choosing TV shows and record files.

OR you have a movie library. Just use the touch system to chose a movie to watch that night. Now that is 10-15 years down the road but I see it coming. Microsoft makes a lot of things that are very long term.

kurosov
Mar 5, 2009, 07:56 PM
Now long term I see some useage for it and how the rest of Microsoft multimedia set up which quite frankly is better than apple has. I can see them at some point producing coffee tables tided into a computer and TV for controlling movies and choosing channels.

As great as that sounds it just isn't viable. A coffee table generally gains clutter, holds drinks and gets spills etc. Not ideal at all.

kockgunner
Mar 5, 2009, 11:40 PM
I believe Apple is working on something innovative. They wouldn't be just doing nothing while Microsoft puts out all these touch capable stuff. Apple just likes to release products when they think it's the right time.

Sehnsucht
Mar 6, 2009, 12:02 AM

"The Surface??!!! But it's $10,000!!!! Why would I pay $10,000 for that big fancy PC that I don't need when I could go get a Mac for $5,000?! Microsoft sucks!!!!!!1!!!11!!!!!!111!!!!!"

:D :D :D

chewietobbacca
Mar 6, 2009, 01:17 AM
plus Xbox 360, Xbox 1, Windows 7 which is full of hurt and fail ( i have uysed it on Parallels and Bootcamp and i have never seen such an unstable OS.

Let's not troll here, calling a Windows 7 BETA unstable? Oh lord, a beta has instabilities??? Puh-lease, it wouldn't be unstable if it weren't a beta, and most users (yes, even here) haven't had a problem with it, and many were even surprised by its stability and snappiness.

As for whether MS will catch up to Apple's touch screen - I don't think they're even headed in the same direction with what they're aiming at right now. As far as whether MS is right in making a touch screen for computers - well, they don't handle that hardware part, so all they can do is add more integrated touch screen support into the Win 7 OS. Whether an OEM comes up with an innovative way to use it as a tablet remains to be seen.

ronldjnvtx
Mar 6, 2009, 12:58 PM
Microsoft does not even come close to Apple. They are very good at marketing but terrible at an operating system. I built pc's before for several years. I switched to Apple a little over a year ago and believe me I will never go back to Windows. I also don't think Apple has anything to worry about from Microsoft. Microsoft does not know how to make a worry free product they are only driven by marketing techniques in my my eyes.