Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepingfaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Having just purchased a 2.4 Ghz Unibody Macbook I'm looking to replace the hdd.

Having answered a question on SATA I was searching for a suitable hard drive and found the Seagate momentus 7200.4 500gb drive.

Reading through the reviews on newegg I spotted someone talking about issues with the unibody macbook's motion sensor here (about three down)

-

Having read that I searched the forums and found a couple of threads that have me concerned.

for instance mentions that whilst the drive works well it no longer parks under sudden movement.

Likewise [url=https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/643119/[/url] saying sales have been suspended, possibly due to the above issue.

--

With those things in mind I was wondering if anyone could clarify which hard drives are compatible in this way with the macbook?

Since reading this info I've been looking at the
- [url=http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=482]WD Scorpio Black 320GB

- Seagate Momentus 7200.3 320gb

I don't strictly speaking need 500Gb of space so I'd rather give the problems a miss, unless I can guarantee I'm getting a drive that'll do the job and won't sacrifice stability.

With that in mind, reading what people have said on here I'm tempted to go for the WD Scorpio. However I notice that this drive is offered with and without the "free-fall sensor".

I guess my question is which model would suit the macbook and ideally will still park the heads if the MB moves suddenly.

Does anyone have one of the Scorpio drives installed in a unibody macbook and can they please confirm that the heads still park?

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I have the Scorpio Black in mine {#WD3200BEKT (without free fall sensor)} and it works perfect. I read that you don't want the free fall sensored ones because it will conflict with the MacBooks built in one. I have the 1,1 polycarbonate model. -GDF

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I bought and then sold my WD 320 Scorpio Black. I can confirm that it will turn your Alum Macbook into a vibrator. Didn't have that problem when it was installed in my last gen MBP.

sleepingfaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
GfulDedFan - Thanks for that.

TxMacAddict - Did you have the Scorpio Black installed in a unibody? Did the parking still work when it was in there?

Have you tried any other drives in there?

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Yes the Scorpio black was installed in the unibody Macbook... for about 2 days. I had to pull it the vibration started to get annoying. Try it and see if you like it. I've used the stock drive and now I'm using the Intel X25-M SSD.

I think the non-unibody Macbooks are fine with this drive since they aren't as stiff... I didn't notice the vibration quite like I did on the unibody.

I may buy the Corsair S128 for an upcoming PC build since it is supposedly identical to the SSD's offered by Apple with all Samsung parts.

As far as the heads parking on the drive.. I believe that is Software based outside of the hard drive.. which is why the drives that have it built in don't play well. The software should be able to tell any drive to park the heads during movements.

If that is a top priority for you.. I would recommend a SSD. Problem solved!

sleepingfaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Thanks.

the parking / damage isn't a massive issue as I don't really carry my mac around all that much. It's more that I wouldn't like to disable a function that's already built into the mac, or make the MB worse in essence.

I'd be tempted by an SSD but the cost is prohibitive at the mo. Will have to read up on them!

Ta

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA

mbradyrn

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
Western Digital 320GB Scorpio Black SATA 7200 RPM 2.5IN 16MB WD3200BEKT Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD3200BEKT

I just installed this one from Amazon -- quiet ('whisper') and no vibration or heat -- a real upgrade from stock.

rezzo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Chile
sorry for the 'up'.

No problems here with the WD5000BEVT? or using hdparm or another tool to reduce the beeps and clicks?

GoHack

macrumors member
May 7, 2009
Palmdale, CA
I have the 320 gb Momentus 7200.4 in mine, and it runs w/o any problems.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard last Friday w/o any problems as well.

In fact I just bought two (2) more of these for another system, where I'm running RAID 0. Again, no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.