Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Hey,

If you guys had a choice between...

Stock Powerbook 12in

Or

iBook 12in
Airport Extreme Card
Airport Extreme Base Station
Bluetooth Adaptor
Bluetooth Keyboard
Bluetooth Mouse
640mb RAM

Which would you go for? Do the bigger HDD, double level 2 cache etc. make up for all the other stuff?

Just a question - I know it's been asked before, but I'm just specifically wondering about this situation - and it might help others.

peace.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
all of these threads come down to a similar point...

for what uses?

if iBook is sufficient for your use, then i think it's a better value, esp. fully loaded like you mentioned.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I assume you'd get the wireless stuff - at least the Airport stuff - anyway. If not, then don't even consider the PB. A non-wireless laptop no longer makes any sense.

All things considered, unless you need the slight performance edge of the PB, the iBook is a much better deal for the money. My advice would differ if you were comparing the 14" iBook to the 15" PB, but, comparing foot-longs, I'd have to go with the iBook as a better value and similar performer.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
all of these threads come down to a similar point...for what uses?

My use would mainly include Terminal for using command-line apps like gcc. Also, a lot of music, dvd watching, coursework writing, etc. If I was to get the powerbook, then I'd end up using ArtMatic voyager, photoshop for image editing, etc. - however, it's something I could do without, I guess. The big plus for the powerbook is that, despite its iminent update, it'll last longer than the iBook. I need this thing to last me the first semesters of university, and I'm only in lower sixth year now - so basically, I go to university the summer after next... is the iBook viable?

And of course, since I'm getting it in America, coming back with all that extra iBook stuff will get me taxed big style, no doubt.

I assume you'd get the wireless stuff - at least the Airport stuff - anyway. If not, then don't even consider the PB. A non-wireless laptop no longer makes any sense.

Perhaps a little bit premature to make that statement, jsw. The Powerbook - or loaded iBook - are gonna cost me just about everything I own (and some stuff that I don't, probably :p) so wi-fi will be second to my main priority - paying back my dad and brother for their loans.

Cheers for the replies peeps,

peace.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
_pb_boi said:
My use would mainly include Terminal for using command-line apps like gcc. Also, a lot of music, dvd watching, coursework writing, etc. If I was to get the powerbook, then I'd end up using ArtMatic voyager, photoshop for image editing, etc. - however, it's something I could do without, I guess. The big plus for the powerbook is that, despite its iminent update, it'll last longer than the iBook. I need this thing to last me the first semesters of university, and I'm only in lower sixth year now - so basically, I go to university the summer after next... is the iBook viable?

wait, so are you in 6th grade? by "university," do you mean high school? (excuse me here, i'm just using american terms...)

how many years do you need this thing to last? PB or iBook, i don't see a big difference - they will both last 3 years, easy. they are both G4, afterall. depends what you mean by "lasting" though. if you mean being able to run the latest software in the future, then 3 years is probably right. if you mean physically being able to run things offered right now, then it will probably last a lot longer than that...

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
jxyama said:
wait, so are you in 6th grade? by "university," do you mean high school? (excuse me here, i'm just using american terms...)

how many years do you need this thing to last? PB or iBook, i don't see a big difference - they will both last 3 years, easy. they are both G4, afterall. depends what you mean by "lasting" though. if you mean being able to run the latest software in the future, then 3 years is probably right. if you mean physically being able to run things offered right now, then it will probably last a lot longer than that...

LOL ;)

In England & Wales (but not Scotland) your final years of high school are called "Sixth Form" - made up, if I'm not mistaken, by 2 years. Then you'd go to university (or "college" as you might call it). So, he'll need to do this year, then next year (Upper-Sixth Form), and then he'll be at university (assuming he doesn't take a gap year).

So, he needs it to last 3 years... basically.

Cheers!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
josepho said:
LOL ;)

In England & Wales (but not Scotland) your final years of high school are called "Sixth Form" - made up, if I'm not mistaken, by 2 years. Then you'd go to university (or "college" as you might call it). So, he'll need to do this year, then next year (Upper-Sixth Form), and then he'll be at university (assuming he doesn't take a gap year).

So, he needs it to last 3 years... basically.

Cheers!

ahh, thanks...

well, both iBook and PB should last 3 years.

and i also consider them both similar performers... benchmarks are kind of neat, but i don't really see much relevance in every day usage.

(i love my PB - not because it's supposedly better than an iBook of comparable spec - but because i like the keyboard and the smooth Al appearance.)

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
jxyama said:
(i love my PB - not because it's supposedly better than an iBook of comparable spec - but because i like the keyboard and the smooth Al appearance.)

true enough, perhaps the feature i love the most about my 12" PB is its keyboard. i feel like i can really fly on it, and i rarely make a typing error on it. Where as right now, on my Powermac with Graphite apple keyboard, i've already had to correct typing errors in this post 4 times.

i say get the PB, if you do much typing, you will be more productive on it.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Josepho - thanks for clearing that up, about universities et al :)
Over here, it's primary school, secondary / grammer school, then university.

Adamjay - true about the keyboard, but don't forget, I could afford a bluetooth external keyboard with the money I save :)

Decision is harder than ever, I thought I was all set on the Powerbook. That said, if I can somehow get a discount for paying cash and letting them know that I realise I'm buying an EOL model - I could get some stuff thrown in free.

Thanks again!

peace.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
_pb_boi said:
Adamjay - true about the keyboard, but don't forget, I could afford a bluetooth external keyboard with the money I save :)

true enough, but i hold the onboard Powerbook keyboard in an even higher regard than the Apple Pro Bluetooth keyboard. try it out if you get a chance. to me, its the smoothest drive out there.

either way, both machines are great. my girlfriend has a loaded G4 iBook and loves it. have fun!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
adamjay said:
true enough, perhaps the feature i love the most about my 12" PB is its keyboard. i feel like i can really fly on it, and i rarely make a typing error on it. Where as right now, on my Powermac with Graphite apple keyboard, i've already had to correct typing errors in this post 4 times.

i say get the PB, if you do much typing, you will be more productive on it.

When I went and tested out the PB and iBook's I felt that the keyboards were pretty comparable. The iBook was SLIGHTLY more 'squishy' but you really had to mash it feel a difference. The key sizes were all the same, and, in fact, the more I think about it the more I liked the texture of the iBooks keys over the painted feel of the PBs.

For the 12" PB vs the iBook, to me, the iBook blows it away on a price/performance level.

One thing to consider is the 14" 933mhz iBook. It will perform very similarly to the 12" PB, has a better video card, a bigger screen, and if you max out the RAM AND the HD (640mb/60gb) on the iBook it'll have a more memory and storage space. Add the optional BT module and the completely maxed out 14" 933mhz costs the same as the 12" PB, here in the states at least. You'll have to pay extra for the AE card in either case, and you can always add that later on when you need it. I always recommend the 14" iBook to ppl looking at the 12" powerbook. If you were considering the 15" PB it would be different, but the 12" is kind of the bastard child of the PB line, from what I can tell.

Good Luck,
Rob

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I'm sorry, i may be slightly biased, but look at your options! You would have a completely maxed out iBook with airport, bt, etc... versus... a STOCK PB12?! That's not even a comparison!

I own a 12in 800MHz iBook (see sig) and i absolutely love it.

think of it this way: what do you want the laptop for? portability? they both have it. G4? both. battery life? iBook is longer. Video card performance (dual monitors, clamshell)? Both.

By getting the iBook you are getting MOST of the computer for much less money. Yes it has less L2, slower clockspeed, but even the above charts show that there really isnt' THAT much difference between the two... PLUS you'd get AE, basestation, BT, more RAM, etc.

The iBook is a MUCH better value. Get the iBook, you won't regret it.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
mrgreen4242 said:
When I went and tested out the PB and iBook's I felt that the keyboards were pretty comparable. The iBook was SLIGHTLY more 'squishy' but you really had to mash it feel a difference. The key sizes were all the same, and, in fact, the more I think about it the more I liked the texture of the iBooks keys over the painted feel of the PBs.

For the 12" PB vs the iBook, to me, the iBook blows it away on a price/performance level.

One thing to consider is the 14" 933mhz iBook. It will perform very similarly to the 12" PB, has a better video card, a bigger screen, and if you max out the RAM AND the HD (640mb/60gb) on the iBook it'll have a more memory and storage space. Add the optional BT module and the completely maxed out 14" 933mhz costs the same as the 12" PB, here in the states at least. You'll have to pay extra for the AE card in either case, and you can always add that later on when you need it. I always recommend the 14" iBook to ppl looking at the 12" powerbook. If you were considering the 15" PB it would be different, but the 12" is kind of the bastard child of the PB line, from what I can tell.

Good Luck,
Rob

I agree with you on most of your points but there are still a few things that make the PB a bit more future-proof: L2 cache (512 KB vs. 256 KB) and DVI out. Apps that can take advantage of the bigger L2 cache perform better on the PB, not only in benchmarks but also in everyday life tasks such as importing CDs into iTunes. Those two things can’t be added to the iBook. Furthermore, you can use monitor spanning without having to apply a hack that voids your warranty. There’s also another feature that is not that important but still nice to have: lid-closed operation. Also, the PB has 256 MB RAM soldered onto the mainboard. Last but not least, unlike the iBook, the PB has an audio-in port. As for which of the two has the better graphics chip, benchmarks show that the Radeon 9200 is in fact better for gaming but other than that, the Go 5200 is slightly better. All considered, the iBook does have a better price/performance ratio but the few extras on the PowerBook make it a better investment for the future.

Edit: I'm aware that the original poster's question was stock PB 12" vs. fully loaded iBook, so my arguments might not be relevant for him but they might be for someone else in a similar situation. While it's arguable if the PB is worth the extra $500, it's still a PowerBook even though it's missing some features that can be found on the more expensive models. To finally answer the question asked in this thread: if you can’t afford a maxed out PB, go for the iBook.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Zaty said:
To finally answer the question asked in this thread: if you can’t afford a maxed out PB, go for the iBook.

That is the most eloquent and succinct answer to your question. That is exactly how I feel.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
well, what about...

There have been a lot of comments about how an opinion would differ if the 15" was being discussed.
Well, what about it. I'm looking at the PB15/Super
How would you compare that to an 14" iBook, fully decked out with the 1Ghz, BT, AE, 640MB, 60GB.
The prices come out to 2299 vs. 1668 (Educational discounts and all).
What do I do?
Now for the kicker: If I get the PB, I'd wait until the bump comes in and buy the current model for (probably) about 1999-2199 - I'm not sure how much they would be. What does that do to your reccomendation?
I only ask b/c I am a poor college student who wants to stop using Win ME

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
nbs2 said:
There have been a lot of comments about how an opinion would differ if the 15" was being discussed.
Well, what about it. I'm looking at the PB15/Super
How would you compare that to an 14" iBook, fully decked out with the 1Ghz, BT, AE, 640MB, 60GB.
The prices come out to 2299 vs. 1668 (Educational discounts and all).
What do I do?
Now for the kicker: If I get the PB, I'd wait until the bump comes in and buy the current model for (probably) about 1999-2199 - I'm not sure how much they would be. What does that do to your reccomendation?
I only ask b/c I am a poor college student who wants to stop using Win ME

unless your eyes are not very good, i hardly consider 14" iBook a good value. marginal increase in CPU speed is not worth the price difference, esp. considering reduced mobility due to increased size and weight.

15" PB is worth it because you get a better screen and a good performance boost over iBooks.

but anyway, i'd take the 14" iBook out of consideration unless you need big pixels.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
jxyama said:
unless your eyes are not very good, i hardly consider 14" iBook a good value. marginal increase in CPU speed is not worth the price difference, esp. considering reduced mobility due to increased size and weight.

15" PB is worth it because you get a better screen and a good performance boost over iBooks.

but anyway, i'd take the 14" iBook out of consideration unless you need big pixels.
I habve to disagree. I've been debating between a PB and an iBook for a couple weeks now, and have been trying each one out every time I drive by a CompUSA (pretty often).

Yes, the pixels on the 14" iBook are a bit bigger, and you WILL notice a difference, but it isn't THAT bad. Watching a movie, or playing a game, you won't notice. I do notice it a TINY bit while using text editing software, as the anti-aliased fonts don't look quite as smooth. You should just fire up text edit on each one and see what you think.

When it comes to the 'low-end' the 14" iBook is a far better value that the 12" PB, imho. If you want to spend the extra cash, you can't go wrong with the 15" powerbook. It all comes down to budget. Given $1500 for a laptop, I would go with a 14" iBook (933mhz model, probably). If I had $1750, and I could find a refurb 1ghz 15" PB, I'd get that. $2000 will get you a refurb 1.25ghz PB, if you can find one.

SO that's my take on it. YMMV.

Rob

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
mrgreen4242 said:
I habve to disagree. I've been debating between a PB and an iBook for a couple weeks now, and have been trying each one out every time I drive by a CompUSA (pretty often).

Yes, the pixels on the 14" iBook are a bit bigger, and you WILL notice a difference, but it isn't THAT bad. Watching a movie, or playing a game, you won't notice. I do notice it a TINY bit while using text editing software, as the anti-aliased fonts don't look quite as smooth. You should just fire up text edit on each one and see what you think.

i don't really care that pixels are big. what i care is that even though 14" screen is physically bigger, you don't get more pixels. that's why i consider it a waste because personally, the only reason i'd want a bigger screen is to get more pixels.

that's why i said, "unless your eyes are bad." if you have bad eyes, you will benefit from bigger pixels because they will be easier on your eyes.

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
Go for the iBook

I was very tempted by the PowerBook, but I could buy a fully loaded iBook for a lot less money. I've had my iBook for almost two months now.

The only problem I've had is a faulty inverter, which Apple diagnosed, repaired and returned to me in less than a week. No complaints about the service or the warranty.

The computer is brilliant. Runs everything smoothly. Photoshop. Safari. Word (in Classic mode), iTunes, etc. all at the same time with no problem.

Money I saved from not buying the PB is going toward a G5 desktop (some day).

BTW, bought the 12-inch iBook. Same pixels as the larger versions of the iBook but a couple of hundred dollars less. MacWorld chose the 12-inch as the iBook to buy.

Happy shopping.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I'm loving my PowerBook, having stepped up from a G3 iBook. The thing is just a whole lot slicker than the iBook, and it is a good deal faster in some things, though not really in what you're doing.

However, I would choose the iBook setup you described over the PowerBook setup you described any day. WiFi is extremely nice to have (essential, in my case). Like I said before, you won't notice much difference in what you're doing with the machine, so I say go with the iBook.

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
ibookin' said:
I'm loving my PowerBook, having stepped up from a G3 iBook. The thing is just a whole lot slicker than the iBook, and it is a good deal faster in some things, though not really in what you're doing.

However, I would choose the iBook setup you described over the PowerBook setup you described any day. WiFi is extremely nice to have (essential, in my case). Like I said before, you won't notice much difference in what you're doing with the machine, so I say go with the iBook.

Well, I'd been swithering between PB and iB for a good wee while now... Tonight I finally bit the bullet and ordered. iBook 12", 60GB, BT, AE = £900 (edu), also ordered 512MB RAM from Crucial at £70.

I'm quietly excited :D

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
josepho said:
Well, I'd been swithering between PB and iB for a good wee while now... Tonight I finally bit the bullet and ordered. iBook 12", 60GB, BT, AE = £900 (edu), also ordered 512MB RAM from Crucial at £70.

I'm quietly excited :D

i bought that exact machine a few weeks ago! you will be very happy. (I've got pics of the "unveiling" if you're impatient)

it's a great machine.

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
michaelrjohnson said:
i bought that exact machine a few weeks ago! you will be very happy. (I've got pics of the "unveiling" if you're impatient)

it's a great machine.

Oh, yes please!! I know they'll just make me more excited, but I wanna see them. Post them here... or PM me for my email address - thank you so much!

:D

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Guys,

Thanks so much for all the replies to my original questions. You all brought up very valid points - both in favour of the loaded iBook, and the stock Powerbook.

Appreciate all your comments very much - though I'm still confused ;) I think a lot of it is wanting the IMAGE of the powerbook, even above performance issues etc. I definately have some hard thinking to do.

One other question - do Powerbook 12in slip cases fit 12in iBooks, in general? I've already bought my case :)

Thanks again! Can always rely on you guys for informative advice.

Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.