Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STSNorthstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I love the 12" Powerbook. I do. I'd be first in line for a replacement that had its footprint.

But it's beginning to show its age, it runs the apps I want it to run, but it's not as snappy as the new MacBooks I've played with are, and I'm prepared to upgrade to a MacBook.

I know there will not be a revision to the MacBook in the short term, but Snow Leopard is possibly coming soon. I'm wondering how much of a hit in value the PowerBook will take when Snow Leopard comes out and the PowerBook is running an outdated OS?

Specs if it helps: 1.5Ghz, 1.25 GB Ram, Superdrive, Leopard, flawless physical condition, battery holds about 2 and a half hours.

jmark

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
The 12" PowerBook will have some value to people who need the combination of Firewire, built-in modem, and smallest "footprint".

Plus, that particular design had an undeniable "charm factor" that (to me anyway) was completely absent from the larger PowerBook models.

But if your need for performance outweighs the aforementioned attributes, then it's time for a change.

Even the low-end plastic MacBook would have about 4 times the CPU horsepower as your 12" Powerbook, and the added advantage of a better/larger screen. Plus (unlike the 12" PowerBook) the HD can be easily replaced.

STSNorthstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I bought the powerbook for the convenience of small size, and the uniqueness. I've only seen one other person on my campus with a 12" Powerbook. I'm not looking forward to being one of the rest with a MacBook.

I've never been a fan of the polycarbonate cases, I will definitely go with a Unibody. I can't quit the aluminum!

I'm looking mostly at resale value. I'm selling the powerbook and a Dell Laptop thats about to have it's warranty run out, which will finance the MacBook. Dell's warranty runs out in April, and Snow Leopard should be around the corner, so I'm wanting to sell relatively soon.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
My three year old 12" PB is the latest Apple model combining small footprint and matte screen.

I'm also looking for a replacement. I'd be willing to pay up to $3,000 but Apple offers none at any price. I might buy a MB and let TechRestore fix the screen but I'm a little put off by the footprint of the MB...

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
OP, I just replied in another thread yesterday about my 2 requirements for me replacing my Powerbook. Snow Leopard is out and Rev B MacBooks are out.

So I'm definitely in the same boat as you for reselling. I hope I can get some decent cash for it.

STSNorthstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
OP, I just replied in another thread yesterday about my 2 requirements for me replacing my Powerbook. Snow Leopard is out and Rev B MacBooks are out.

So I'm definitely in the same boat as you for reselling. I hope I can get some decent cash for it.

I'm okay with a Rev. A MacBook, it satisfies all of my needs, except a footprint as small as the 12", but I refuse to wait for that and only be dissapointed. If something comes along in the future, I'll worry then.

I want to sell BEFORE snow leopard because seriously, who wants to buy a computer with a dead OS? I can afford to be a little while without a laptop. I wish it was easier to time when to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.