PDA

View Full Version : G5 iMac to 2.4 Intel a Smart Move?

Sauerkraut
Mar 6, 2009, 01:10 AM
I feel I'm doing the right thing but need some reassurance. I purchased my first Mac 3.5 years ago. I am still using it, a 1.8 G5 iMac. It has been a great machine for me and shows no sign of stopping but..... I'm wanting to get into an Intel iMac and was waiting for the latest update. It wasn't as fantastic as I was hoping for, wishful thinking, so...... I'm now thinking of one of the 2.4 20" clearance models. With my employee discount it is $939.00 + tax. I have a buyer for my G5 right now at $250. I'm usually the type to go for the top of the line models but now I'm really thinking I'm much better served getting this model. I think I won't feel so guilty buying a newer model in a year or two if something fantastic should happen to show up then. I really don't need anything powerful. Truth be told, I mostly just use iTunes, iPhoto, and the internet. I'm hoping to play a few games using bootcamp though. Nothing major just maybe some Medal of Honor or something similar. What do you guys think?

Mike in Kansas
Mar 6, 2009, 06:04 AM
I feel I'm doing the right thing but need some reassurance. I purchased my first Mac 3.5 years ago. I am still using it, a 1.8 G5 iMac. It has been a great machine for me and shows no sign of stopping but..... I'm wanting to get into an Intel iMac and was waiting for the latest update. It wasn't as fantastic as I was hoping for, wishful thinking, so...... I'm now thinking of one of the 2.4 20" clearance models. With my employee discount it is $939.00 + tax. I have a buyer for my G5 right now at $250. I'm usually the type to go for the top of the line models but now I'm really thinking I'm much better served getting this model. I think I won't feel so guilty buying a newer model in a year or two if something fantastic should happen to show up then. I really don't need anything powerful. Truth be told, I mostly just use iTunes, iPhoto, and the internet. I'm hoping to play a few games using bootcamp though. Nothing major just maybe some Medal of Honor or something similar. What do you guys think?

I'd consider refurb and get the 20"/2.66. You get a faster processor, another 1GB of RAM, AND a much better graphics card (the 2600 PRO over the 2400XT). It's retail price right now at the Apple store is $999, just like the clearance 20"/2.4. I just picked a refurb 20"/2.66 up for my kids, replacing a dead Dell P4/3.06. I have the 24"/2.8 and there was nothing in the refresh that made me feel like I needed to upgrade.

If you can swing it, I'd seriously consider the refurb 24"/2.8 for $1199. That is one sweet deal. New ones were $1799 Monday!

And yes, moving to a C2D Intel machine is a smart move in general, as well as going with the newer models. I was looking at a refurb 20"/2.4 from early 2007, but it had the slower FSB/memory, which makes a difference.

Sauerkraut
Mar 8, 2009, 03:30 AM
Ended up ordering the 24" 2.8 clearance model with iWork '09 and Canon IP4600 tonight. Just couldn't pass up the 24" once I had seen it in person.

Mike in Kansas
Mar 8, 2009, 07:02 AM
Good choice! You'll love it!