PDA

View Full Version : iBook speaker socket on logic board popped off

paradox1156
Mar 6, 2009, 12:06 PM
I was upgrading the hdd in my 1.33 ghz ibook 12 inch. When I went to remove the speaker cable from the logic board I applied a little too much force and the socket came up along with the cable. Is there a precise way to reconnect this, all my experience with soldering small circuits was not very precise at all, is there some sort of electrically conducting adhesive material that the factory might have used to glue this to the logic board?

SkyFoxe42
Mar 6, 2009, 03:45 PM
Been there, done that. IIRC, the socket is surface soldered onto the board. I added short wires, using a small 15 watt soldering iron, to connect the socket back to the board. There's not a lot of room to maneuver, and a 3rd hand to hold each wire during the soldering is very helpful (using small needle-nose pliers). Solder the 4 wires to the socket, then begin soldering them to the board. Then carefully bend the wires so that the socket fits back where it should (not much vertical space here), poking through the metal shield. Reconnect the plug, reassemble the laptop.

careyj
Mar 7, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I also was upgrading my iBook 1.33Ghz hard drive and had a similar problem with the power socket coming off the board.

Is the process the same for this socket...by soldering it with wires.

Thanks