PDA

View Full Version : March 6, 1984: Gates Loves the Mac

MacBytes
Mar 6, 2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: History
Link: March 6, 1984: Gates Loves the Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090306150554)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

numbersyx
Mar 6, 2009, 02:08 PM
So much so that he decided that he would never stop copying it....

MalibuMatt98
Mar 6, 2009, 02:25 PM
Funny, I read an article on msn.com that say Gates now bans all Apple products in his home...makes you think, doesn't it.

PeterQC
Mar 6, 2009, 03:35 PM
Funny, I read an article on msn.com that say Gates now bans all Apple products in his home...makes you think, doesn't it.

It was not about all Apple products, the original article only said that iPod and iPhone were banned. No clear words for Macs.

NewSc2
Mar 6, 2009, 04:05 PM
It was not about all Apple products, the original article only said that iPod and iPhone were banned. No clear words for Macs.

I'm sure Steve Jobs doesn't use a Zune either...

manhattanboy
Mar 6, 2009, 04:06 PM

That's gotta suck for his kids...
I mean no Applesauce, no caramel Apples, no Apple spice bread, no Applejacks :D:D:D

Winni
Mar 7, 2009, 05:10 AM

There's more than enough stuff in OS X that was directly copied from Windows that I've lost count. And both products "borrowed" most of their original concepts from the Xerox Star, by the way.

And once you have to integrate a platform into a very large environment, you will quickly find hundreds of features that Apple would be very well advised to copy from Windows.

But back to the original topic: It's no news that Bill Gates has always been an admirer of the original Mac, and back in the early 80s, he even wanted Windows to be compatible with the Mac. But when Windows 3.0 hit the market, it quickly became more successful than the Mac and the standard desktop platform.

bobbleheadbob
Mar 7, 2009, 07:41 AM
But back to the original topic: It's no news that Bill Gates has always been an admirer of the original Mac, and back in the early 80s, he even wanted Windows to be compatible with the Mac. But when Windows 3.0 hit the market, it quickly became more successful than the Mac and the standard desktop platform.

Sure Windows has been more successful (largely due to corporate America, IMO), but the Mac OS has been the better product since the beginning. Again, just MHO. :D

EmperorDarius
Mar 7, 2009, 09:35 AM

I'm sure that he has at least a Mac at his home. He must try the features before copying them, after all.

MisterMe
Mar 7, 2009, 10:52 AM
There's more than enough stuff in OS X that was directly copied from Windows that I've lost count. Until Microsoft secured access to the source code for the Macintosh, Windows was going nowhere. As for the things that you believe that Apple copied from Microsoft, it would be interesting to see how many of them saw their first commercial light in NeXTstep.

And both products "borrowed" most of their original concepts from the Xerox Star, by the way.

....Oh God, not that old saw! If you are going to fall back on shopworn excuses for Microsoft IP theft, then you might want to spice them up by including SmallTalk.

Sehnsucht
Mar 7, 2009, 12:15 PM

He used a Mac Pro to make those "I'm a PC" ads, remember? :D :D :D

DMann
Mar 7, 2009, 01:24 PM

Indeed:

"Microsoft began working on its own version of a GUI soon after Bill saw the Mac."

its own version, albeit cloned.

hello-im-mac
Mar 7, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm sure that he has at least a Mac at his home. He must try the features before copying them, after all.

Just imagine, Bill comes to the door, takes his ipod out his ears, you walk into Bill's living room and he's got 2 30" Apple displays, a Mac pro and a Macbook, and streaming a movie to his Apple TV.

Just as you take a seat, he says excuse me I've got to make a call...gets out his iphone.

While you sit there you spot something which makes you burst out in a fit of laughter.... he's stuck the windows symbol over every Apple logo.

"No Apples in here"