Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrmillions

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Boston, MA
I would like to start building iphone apps. I have no experience with a mac or with programming but I will hopefully be starting a computer science degree this fall or next year. I have some extremely basic stupid questions that maybe someone can help me with. Next month I will be buying a brand new unibody MacBook along with a dell 22" or larger external monitor and I already own a 3g iphone. I also read all the threads on the forum about which books to get and will also pay the $99 developers fee to apple and will download the SDK.

If i wanted to build apps such as Trism and iShoot and iFart what kind of software would I need to get for my macbook? What software do you use to actually type the code into to create the app? would i need dreamweaver? What do you use to create the shapes of the pieces in your puzzle game? What software do you use to color the pieces? do you use or need photoshop? how do you get the images for the icon for your app? do you have to hand draw them or is there a site that people get clip art for them? there are a lot of developers who made apps all by themselves and i cant imagine they are all artists too. did everyone who made an app have to hire a designer also? it doesnt have to be free software but i just want to know what i will need to make decent apps.

Thank you

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Edited your post to make it easier to answer.
1. If i wanted to build apps such as Trism and iShoot and iFart what kind of software would I need to get for my macbook?

2. What software do you use to actually type the code into to create the app?

3. would i need dreamweaver?

4. What do you use to create the shapes of the pieces in your puzzle game?

5. What software do you use to color the pieces?

6. do you use or need photoshop?

7. how do you get the images for the icon for your app?

8. do you have to hand draw them or is there a site that people get clip art for them?

9. there are a lot of developers who made apps all by themselves and i cant imagine they are all artists too. did everyone who made an app have to hire a designer also?

1 and 2. Xcode, developer.apple.com/iphone.

3. No.

4, 5, 7, 8 . I use photoshop.

6. I use it.

9. Some do, some don't, it depends on their budgets.

nrmillions

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Edited your post to make it easier to answer.

1 and 2. Xcode, developer.apple.com/iphone.

3. No.

4, 5, 7, 8 . I use photoshop.

6. I use it.

9. Some do, some don't, it depends on their budgets.

Thanks! is xcode a free software that comes with your mac? do you actually design and draw your images in photoshop or do you download them from somewhere else and then adjust them in photoshop?

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
1. is xcode a free software that comes with your mac?

2. do you actually design and draw your images in photoshop or do you download them from somewhere else and then adjust them in photoshop?

1. Yes, it actually comes preinstalled on Macs, but for iPhone development you need to download the iPhone SDK (which is just extra stuff for xcode) from the link I gave earlier.

2. I usually start from scratch. There have been instances where I have used non-copyrighted images for a base then tweaked for my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.