Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Hi there.

I received my 15" powerbook a few days ago. It's great apart from a few issues that i'd like to get your opinions on.

Im using both a MAC and a PC. The PC is internet ready. I'm using an ISDN connection with a dray tek minivigor128 ISDN adaptor. I installed the draytek drivers onto the mac and set up the connection when i first started the powerbook. I can connect to the internet on the mac for a while but then the connection gets really slow and it eventually stops receiving data. When i try to disconnect, the "disconnecting" scrolling text on the top right menu bar keeps happening and i can't try to reconnect again. I've also noticed every time i turn on the computer the internet password changes and i can't connect as normal because the password must be wrong? I've never heard of anything like this before in my life - i'm completely confused. How do i keep the password set to what it should be and what do you think could be causing the slow connection and eventually the disconnect?

I think the Mac has crashed a few times as well. A black window appears saying "your computers needs to restart. Please press and hold the power off button for a few seconds" or something of that nature. I don't know why this is happening. It has happened a few times now .. .. ..

I do hope i haven’t wrecked my new computer :eek: :(

dudeami

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
Texas
What OS are you running? I just went to dreytek's site and I only see drivers for the minivigor128 for OS 10.2. They may not work correctly on OS 10.3.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
First of all it's not a good idea to chew on your Powerbook. :)

Yes, you've crashed it, and that ain't so easy to do. I suspect the software you've installed but in any event you should reboot the Mac in single user mode and check the disk for damage. Restart and hold down command-s until you see a screen of text. At the end of you'll get a prompt. Type:

fsck -y (include the space)

If you get back the message that the disk is journaled (which is the default in 10.3), then force the disk repair by typing:

fsck -f

When it's done checking and repairing, type:

reboot

And whatever you've done, don't do it again!

EGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
:( Typical me.

Im running 10.3.3 so that must be the problem (?). Can you recommend a good ISDN adaptor for my powerbook?

Thanks very much for the help guys :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.