PDA

View Full Version : Imac G3 lag

Boots-
Mar 6, 2009, 06:05 PM
Why does my iMac G3 DV lag when I watch videos, or youtube? It was made for video editing back in the day, so why cant i watch videos?

MultiFinder17
Mar 6, 2009, 08:34 PM
The iMac G3s are getting a little long in the tooth today. They're still very decent machines for most purposes, but things like modern videos and websites like youtube will just bog the system down these days. I know watching things on youtube is a pain on my PowerBook G3/500. As much as it pains me to say so, it's just because the machine is old.

PurrBall
Mar 6, 2009, 09:09 PM
My iMac G4 has trouble with YouTube, their player is getting too advanced for these old machines.

Slurpy2k8
Mar 6, 2009, 09:37 PM
Why does my iMac G3 DV lag when I watch videos, or youtube? It was made for video editing back in the day, so why cant i watch videos?

You're kidding, right? It's a damn G3.

trose
Mar 7, 2009, 10:55 AM
Yup... G3 just doesn't cut it for browsing modern sites anymore.
Even my PowerMac G4 DP 867Mhz has issues with YouTube at times, and to watch videos with a decent framerate on Hulu or certain other sites, I've got to set the Flash video quality to "Low".

New (or rather, refurb) iMac on the way, though :)

All my family's old G3s are kicking around doing DVD playback & kids games and such now. Except my poor old PowerMac G3 266Mhz with a *gasp* Voodoo3... it's just sitting in a corner, sadly reminiscing over the days when it used to serve up serious fragging in Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Team Fortress :P

Oy, I've digressed!

California
Mar 7, 2009, 12:52 PM
I think it is because the 400mhz iMac DVs only had 8mb of vram or video ram.

A cheap "upgrade" would be to trade up to the 500/600/700mhz iMacs that had 16mb vram. Still not a lot, but under a hundred bucks and you'd see an improvement.

Where is an apple tech who knows how to upgrade vram on one of these? That would be very cool to get an old iMac G5 with at least 64mbs ofVram.