PDA

View Full Version : wisconsin kidnapper identified!

Don't panic
Apr 1, 2004, 06:20 PM
Police in Madison, Wisconsin, today released a composite sketch (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/04/01/missing.student/index.html) of a suspect in the case of Audrey Seiler, the University of Wisconsin student who was found safe Wednesday after disappearing from her apartment on Saturday.
As soon as the picture went online, scores of phone calls identified the man as six-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher.
A witness even came forward claiming he saw a red blur speeding away down the I-94. "In hindsight, it must have been an F2004", he speculated.
"Forget it, they'll never catch him", commented a disgruntled Kimi Raikkonen.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1 :

Koodauw
Apr 1, 2004, 07:06 PM
Haha I do find that rather humorous. I happen to live right across the street from where the girl lives. Rumors are begining to ciruculate that the whole thing might have been a stunt. The description the police gave before was extremely vag. 20-30 years old. 5'8''-6' feet tall. Wearing a black sweatshirt and blue jeans and a hat. I see someone like about 1,000 times a day on campus.

Dr. Zauis
Apr 1, 2004, 07:26 PM
Wow!!, the composite sketch looks exactly like the picture.

wdlove
Apr 1, 2004, 08:47 PM
I was very happy when I heard that she had been found alive. Good news is always welcome.

That's a great sketch. I just hope that they will be able to catch him alive. It would be terrible if he did this again.

Dippo
Apr 1, 2004, 10:05 PM
Haha I do find that rather humorous. I happen to live right across the street from where the girl lives. Rumors are begining to ciruculate that the whole thing might have been a stunt. The description the police gave before was extremely vag. 20-30 years old. 5'8''-6' feet tall. Wearing a black sweatshirt and blue jeans and a hat. I see someone like about 1,000 times a day on campus.

Being a stunt was the first thing that crossed through my mind right after she was found. She wasn't abused and had minor injuries, and she gave a really fague discription to the police.

Did the beating herself over the head incident not get her the attention that she craved, so she had to kidnap herself??

The suspect will never be found, because there isn't one!

Frohickey
Apr 1, 2004, 10:28 PM
I was very happy when I heard that she had been found alive. Good news is always welcome.

That's a great sketch. I just hope that they will be able to catch him alive. It would be terrible if he did this again.

Hmm... that girl is lucky to be alive.

In an informal shooting/self-defense group, one of the instructors is a cop who has done some research on the odds of victims fighting off attackers.

What he found was that victims that fight or resist attackers are more likely to be unharmed or let go than victims that do not. This is after reading the reports of people that were attacked, or after finding the D.B. and recreating the crime scene.

Another thing that he found from the research was that the success of fighting off an attack is better at the first place you are attacked. Meaning, if someone was trying to kidnap you, the best chance to get free is by fighting and keep fighting while the B.G. is trying to kidnap you. The chance of getting free or letting lose by the B.G. AFTER he has taken you to the second place is very very slim.

Frohickey
Apr 1, 2004, 10:29 PM
erp...here is the glossary...

D.B. - Dead Body
B.G. - Bad Guy

Dros
Apr 1, 2004, 11:21 PM
Being a stunt was the first thing that crossed through my mind right after she was found. She wasn't abused and had minor injuries, and she gave a really fague discription to the police.

I have to admit the thought crossed my mind as well. The videocam showed her leaving, by herself, late at night. She left her door open. So that doesn't sound like she was abducted after she left her apartment, because it isn't normal to leave your door open. And yet the 'cam showed her leaving alone, so it doesn't sound like someone came into the apartment and forced her to leave. So either she was tricked into rushing out and then abducted or it was a hoax.

Koodauw
Apr 1, 2004, 11:46 PM
Another interesting fact. She was found in a marshy area. The only reason she was found was an employee in a nearby office building had seen her, and phoned the police for the suspicious activity only. She had no idea who it was. The lady is not making any comments now, but others at the office building she works at says it was the second day in arow that she had been seen in the marsh. I am writing it off as of now.

Thomas Veil
Apr 2, 2004, 07:36 AM
Rumors are begining to ciruculate that the whole thing might have been a stunt.
I thought about that too...especially since hearing that two months ago she was supposedly knocked unconscious by another (or the same) attacker, and woke up in a building a block away from where she lived.

All of this sounds awfully fishy. I agree with Dippo; she may just be an attention-seeker.

MorganX
Apr 2, 2004, 09:29 AM
I thought about that too...especially since hearing that two months ago she was supposedly knocked unconscious by another (or the same) attacker, and woke up in a building a block away from where she lived.

All of this sounds awfully fishy. I agree with Dippo; she may just be an attention-seeker.

I'm thinking schizophrenic or acid dropper. Maybe crank. She is in school buzzing around at 2am.

We tend not to think of people being mentally disturbed if they're pretty.

Juventuz
Apr 2, 2004, 10:57 AM
CNN is now reporting that the girl has changed her account of her reported abduction. She was probably lying about it, the whole thing seemed too sketchy.

RHutch
Apr 2, 2004, 10:58 AM

Did the beating herself over the head incident not get her the attention that she craved, so she had to kidnap herself??

I totally agree and have thought this since I first saw it on TV. I would bet that they end up making a Law & Order episode based on this.

jxyama
Apr 2, 2004, 11:37 AM
CNN is now reporting that the girl has changed her account of her reported abduction. She was probably lying about it, the whole thing seemed too sketchy.

yeah, i think she is lying as well. i've never heard of kidnaps where the news starts reporting how there are so many "inconsistencies" from the beginning. :rolleyes:

from CNN:
"Like in any other major investigation, there may be inconsistencies. But we are continuing forward with this investigation,"

translation: "we think she's lying because her stories don't add up. but we have to keep on going..."

what a shame - she needs to be severely punished if she did indeed lie. a lot of money/time/effort was wasted when they could have been used to investigate/solve real crimes...

Frohickey
Apr 2, 2004, 12:21 PM
Are you guys sure that Gary Condit was not involved? :p

MorganX
Apr 2, 2004, 12:25 PM
Are you guys sure that Gary Condit was not involved? :p

Nah, he's on the links layin' low with O.J.

jxyama
Apr 2, 2004, 01:11 PM
yep, it was a fake kidnap. details coming soon, so says CNN... :rolleyes: :mad:

wdlove
Apr 2, 2004, 01:59 PM
yep, it was a fake kidnap. details coming soon, so says CNN... :rolleyes: :mad:

Yes, I just heard that on the NBC radio news at 2pm.

That is very sad. I just can't understand what would possess a person to do something like that. She should be prosecuted, a lesson needs to be learned. It will be interesting to hear here reason.

Awimoway
Apr 2, 2004, 03:51 PM
She should be prosecuted, a lesson needs to be learned. It will be interesting to hear here reason.

I disagree--unless of course she was knowingly committing some kind of criminal mischief.

In February, Seiler told police she was attacked from behind and knocked unconscious while walking alone outside after midnight. She said she woke up behind a nearby building but wasn't robbed or otherwise hurt, police said. No one was arrested.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/04/02/missing.student/index.html

See, it sounds to me like she has a sleepwalking problem or some kind of mental condition--perhaps schizophrenia--where she does things unaware that she's doing them and then "wakes" up, as desperate as anyone for an explanation of what happened. The first time could have been in February and she, very innocently, assumed or even hallucinated foul play. By this time, her own suspicions are growing that it's herself who's responsible and when she saw that massive effort to find or save her (I remember her saying yesterday that she was very surprised by all the attention and concern, which puzzled me because, well, why wouldn't there be attention and concern?), she felt obligated to cook up a good story to mollify the masses.

Obviously, we're each reading things into the story. Who knows what the truth is. But this one smells to me of an innocent mental or physiological problem, not pure mischief or something more sinister.

jxyama
Apr 2, 2004, 04:13 PM
I disagree--unless of course she was knowingly committing some kind of criminal mischief.

See, it sounds to me like she has a sleepwalking problem or some kind of mental condition--perhaps schizophrenia--where she does things unaware that she's doing them and then "wakes" up, as desperate as anyone for an explanation of what happened. The first time could have been in February and she, very innocently, assumed or even hallucinated foul play. By this time, her own suspicions are growing that it's herself who's responsible and when she saw that massive effort to find or save her (I remember her saying yesterday that she was very surprised by all the attention and concern, which puzzled me because, well, why wouldn't there be attention and concern?), she felt obligated to cook up a good story to mollify the masses.

Obviously, we're each reading things into the story. Who knows what the truth is. But this one smells to me of an innocent mental or physiological problem, not pure mischief or something more sinister.

yeah, i don't get it and i'd hope it's not a case of mischief... however, there was that case of one woman claiming to have lost the winning lottery ticket... she was mentally sane, but still made up some bogus claims because of greed. (and probably didn't realize she could be prosecured for it...) if this girl was somehow desparate to get some attention, it's possible that she's mentally stable but make up something, thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal even if she got caught. she might have thought it would be dismissed as an innocent lie.

the fact she (apparently) went to get stuff to back up her lie about being tied up and such, also makes me wonder if this is really a case of mental problems or what started as a mischief gone haywire... (obviously, her previous case that is also "strange" will play a role in figuring out what happened this time...)

wdlove
Apr 2, 2004, 06:08 PM

I guess that I missed that part. If it is a mental condition, then I hope that she will get the help that she needs. Schizophrenia is an illness that typically occurs in the late teens and early twenties. That would even be more upsetting than the kidnapping itself. :(

Koodauw
Apr 2, 2004, 06:14 PM

She said her attacher used roper, a knife, duct tape, and couch medicine, to subdue her. The police found some of these in the area they found her. They have her on camera buying these things before her "dissapearance". She also researched parks and the extended forecast on her computers the days earlier. This was premeditated. No doubt. Now she has been caught. I personally am upset my tax dollars were wasted on a bogus man hunt.

Backtothemac
Apr 2, 2004, 06:19 PM
Honestly, they should sentence her to the same prison term that the guy would have gotten that would have committed the crime. :mad:

Awimoway
Apr 2, 2004, 06:20 PM
She said her attacher used roper, a knife, duct tape, and couch medicine, to subdue her. The police found some of these in the area they found her. They have her on camera buying these things before her "dissapearance". She also researched parks and the extended forecast on her computers the days earlier. This was premeditated. No doubt. Now she has been caught. I personally am upset my tax dollars were wasted on a bogus man hunt.

Ah, well. That's different, then. It does sound premeditated. Still, I always try to reserve judgment for the jury.

Dippo
Apr 2, 2004, 06:37 PM

Well I guess I (and many others) we right :p

It's really sad, I don't know why she would do this and worry her family and the whole country for a stunt.

I would assume she has some mental problem, but I really think that she just wanted attention for some reason.

mactastic
Apr 2, 2004, 06:50 PM
Sucks, 'cause it makes it that much tougher for the next person to be taken seriously. I think she should be facing the same penalty as the guy would have too, unless there are some serious mental issues, beyond just wanting attention. I wonder how many crimes were committed that could have been solved/ worked on/ avoided because she wasted the police's time?

Koodauw
Apr 2, 2004, 09:04 PM
About $70,000 dollars worth of crime. Thats the prelim # of costs and etc. State is not allowed to sue her either. I think the most time she is looking at is 9 months in jail, if convicted and sentanced to the max.

Backtothemac
Apr 2, 2004, 11:08 PM
About $70,000 dollars worth of crime. Thats the prelim # of costs and etc. State is not allowed to sue her either. I think the most time she is looking at is 9 months in jail, if convicted and sentanced to the max.

The state should be allowed to sue her. They could in Alabama. If you file a false report, you are libel for all damages to the state including monetary.

Counterfit
Apr 3, 2004, 12:00 AM
Police in Madison, Wisconsin, today released a composite sketch (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/04/01/missing.student/index.html) of a suspect in the case of Audrey Seiler, the University of Wisconsin student who was found safe Wednesday after disappearing from her apartment on Saturday.
As soon as the picture went online, scores of phone calls identified the man as six-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher.
A witness even came forward claiming he saw a red blur speeding away down the I-94. "In hindsight, it must have been an F2004", he speculated.
"Forget it, they'll never catch him", commented a disgruntled Kimi Raikkonen.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1 :

ROFLMFAO!! Hey Kimi, you might catch him if you finnished (pun intended :p) a race! :D

MacNut
Apr 3, 2004, 12:25 AM
This girl and OJ simpson should team up to find the "real kidnaper" :rolleyes: