Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I was curious if others are having this problem.
Often when I try to open a simple 8K file by clicking on it in the finder or folder, it takes FOREVer to open, now I dont think that it was like this before IE update.

Its like this on both my machines imac and powerbook both with 512 ram.

I have done pre binding on each with OSX optimiser, also.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
app?

what app it the file mapped to? it could be having a problem finding the text edditor that it is mapped to or, the text edditor is having a problem.

-evildead

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
whats prebinding? I find that help viewer is really slow in starting up...but that has been like that since I can remember so it's got nothing to do with IE5.2

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Updating the prebindings basically speeds up the launching of applications. They have to spend less time looking up and binding with the various libraries and frameworks in X.

You only really need to run an updater about once a month.

btw AL, speedmeup pro is now freeware. You can get it from versiontracker.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
thanks all

Yup, I did update the prebindings and rebooted twice after that!
I used x-optimize, hope that was ok to use,,seemed alright.

The Help viewer is insane! I am working on the newest powerbook and I cant get a help to even load! I mean really thats rather uuhh NUTS,, LOL :)

The text is mapped to the default text reader that comes with osx.
I think its TEXT reader >:)

Thanks A-Lemon, Iwill read the post, though I think i already did read that one.

I am thinking about getting macjanitor, not use if it will help.

Or I will just keep my Ti on all night, if the work for system ops comes on around 3, I might stay up to watch it! If it comes on!

But there is something that just sticks in me, that my Ti cant do these simple action, I find it very unappealing.

It soothes slightly that Irmongoose is havingthe same experience.
In all honesty, I find the newest 10.15 rather like a downgrade, so far.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
this thread should help (i have one very very long post that should explain everything if you have the patience to read it (page2).)

mmmm link

I just read your post Ambitious. Very nice. That should help some people out. How much UNIX do you know? Im just curious. Im a UNIX system admin.

-evildead

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
textedit is a bit slow on my imac500 as well but the helpviewer is atrocious! it takes from 9-12 bounces for the app to launch. from all of the news i've been hearing about 10.2, it is supposed to offer some improvement in this area (just as 10.1 did) but i'll have to be sure to try that double-restart trick the next time i update my prebindings.

P.S. Whenever my computer starts up, i have to give it about a minute after the desktop/dock have shown up before i launch anything, otherwise it will take 4-5 times as long to launch the app (this is just on the first app). i heard someone else say that he had the same problem and that it was probably some kind of startup process. my computer sounds like its accessing the hard disk during this first minute, does anyone know what is running right after a reboot?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Have you got several items set to launch when you log in? If you go to the control panel and click on 'Login', it shows you what apps launch when you...... log in. That might be your problem.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
textedit is a bit slow on my imac500 as well but the helpviewer is atrocious! it takes from 9-12 bounces for the app to launch. from all of the news i've been hearing about 10.2, it is supposed to offer some improvement in this area (just as 10.1 did) but i'll have to be sure to try that double-restart trick the next time i update my prebindings.

P.S. Whenever my computer starts up, i have to give it about a minute after the desktop/dock have shown up before i launch anything, otherwise it will take 4-5 times as long to launch the app (this is just on the first app). i heard someone else say that he had the same problem and that it was probably some kind of startup process. my computer sounds like its accessing the hard disk during this first minute, does anyone know what is running right after a reboot?

There are a lot of things running at boot time and some of them contiue to run after you have booted up. There are several deamons running and starting up like cron, sshd, norton stuff, ... and may more. The doc takes up a lot of CPU time and RAM. it takes a few seconds to fully start up so lag right after bootup is normal. You can take a look at the process viewer in the utils foler, use top on the comand line, or use the command ps -f and the comand line to see whats running. If its slow, your CPU is slow and/or you need more RAM. OSX is a very powerfull OS but its a little more demanding than Apple classic OS's

-evildead

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by evildead

I just read your post Ambitious. Very nice. That should help some people out. How much UNIX do you know? Im just curious. Im a UNIX system admin.

-evildead

almost nothing. i know a handful of commands but thats about it.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
unix

There a several GUI apps that run the Appple built in prebinding util. Some of them even cost money! Here is the command you can run at the terminal so you dont need the get any GUI.

# sudo update_prebinding -verbose -force -root /

you will be prompted for a password. It is your user password and it only works if you have sudo privleges. ( you do if your an admin user) or you can run the command as root; just take off the "sudo" in front of the command. Reboot when your done. If you want to learn more about it. do a man on it.

# man update_prebinding

-evildead

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i did that prebinding stuff because I've never done it and after a restart, there's are update_pre process running in "top"...is this the prebinding stuff? why's it still going?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by mmmdreg
i did that prebinding stuff because I've never done it and after a restart, there's are update_pre process running in "top"...is this the prebinding stuff? why's it still going?

Thats strange. I just ran top and it was not still running for me. I wouldnt think that there is a prebinding demon that runs in the background. Are you sure it finnished before you re-booted?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.