Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
I'm sorry to start yet another thread, but I want to order today and just can't make up my mind.

Initially I was quite disappointed by the new iMacs, and was going to wait, but I've now decided to take the plunge.

I'm going to go with the 24" iMac, probably the base model. I don't do anything that I would say is graphics intensive - I don't do gaming, photo editing, video editing, 3D work, etc. I might watch the odd movie, but nothing more than that.

I'll also probably upgrade to Snow Leopard when it's released.

What I really want to know is whether the nVidia 9400M is okay for someone like me. I don't want to find I'm disappointed.

Many thanks. :)

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
. I don't do anything that I would say is graphics intensive - I don't do gaming, photo editing, video editing, 3D work, etc. I might watch the odd movie, but nothing more than that. What I really want to know is whether the nVidia 9400M is okay for someone like me. I don't want to find I'm disappointed.)

Yes. Any current iMac would be more than enough for watching movies, web surfing, email etc. You'll actually find you can play plenty of games with the 9400M as well, espeically with the 4GB of RAM on the new units. Nothing high detail or max AA, but capable nonetheless. Good luck in your decision now go PULL THE TRIGGER! ;)

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you. :D

Now I just have to decide whether to get the wireless keyboard or the wired keyboard with numeric keypad. I'd like a numeric keypad, but would also like wireless!

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you. :D

Now I just have to decide whether to get the wireless keyboard or the wired keyboard with numeric keypad. I'd like a numeric keypad, but would also like wireless!

Remember that you'll have to recharge the wireless keyboard's battery.

Zephirus

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2008
go numeric keypad, its a desktop computer anyways, you wont move it all around the house

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Many people who buy less and pay less end up regretting the decision. Very few regret buying more and spending more.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
That's what I feared. Think I'll go for the 2.93GHz and not think about the money. :eek:

Expect to hear from me shortly with my order details... :cool:

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Thankfully I can get student discount, but it's still a bit of an extravagant purchase! Here's my order...

2.93GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
4GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM-2X2GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 120 256MB
640GB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
APPLE WIRELESS MIGHTY MOUSE-Z
WL KYBD & USER'S GUIDE-B
COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 24-GBR
EMEA CC- HE CONTRACT UPLIFT IMAC-INT

Total with VAT £1,392.65.

:D

oldalbion

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
UK
I have got a wireless mighty mouse and the little wireless keyboard for my iMac. This "no wires" was the best move I ever made, DEFIANTLY no regrets. The neat little keyboard has all the numbers you will need :D along the top, it has a back space and delete and it simply great looking, great to use and takes up little space and is rock solid still on the desktop.

I also actually really like the wireless mighty mouse and again I would recommend it without reservation. If you do get one make sure you enter system preferences and set mouse button 2 on the right click as it is not set that way on default when it arrives.

I have had to change the batteries on MM once since December and all is still GREEN on the keyboard but clearly this factor will depend on amount of use.

The only issue I have had with the Wireless MM is the little scroll ball (which is brilliant for scrolling pages) stops working occasionally but this is remedied by dampening (okay licking it :eek: or dabbing it with a damp wipe) and rolling it up and down your jeans hard and fast. The mouse is (for me anyway, as I know it has its critics) easy to use and comfortable. However, when playing games such as COD4 I use a standard wired USB mouse with scroll wheel as it is much easier for chucking grenades, swapping weapons and shooting baddies than the MM.

Hope this helps. Different I know for all.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Thanks, I think I'm happy with my decision. Thinking about it, I very rarely use the number pad at home anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.