PDA

View Full Version : G4 FW800 case, side panel misalignment: cracking sound

driesel
Mar 7, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hi all,

I've just recently bought myself a Power Mac G4 FW800 with a 1.42GHz DP CPU.
It's in great condition and everything works great, but I'm experiencing a minor annoyance when opening the case.

This is not my first Power Mac G4 and my experience with these machines has thaught me that mint, perfect cases are hard to come by. In fact my case looks very good with only a few scuffs and such.
When I open up the case, however, (imagine facing the opening side panel) the lower left tip of the side panel touches the little opaque plastic piece at the bottom front of the case.
When I proceed and lay the panel horizontally it obviously makes a cracking sound (since both plastic pieces flinch with force...).

It feels like the side panel is somehow misaligned (the plastic rear of the side panel with the brackets and I/O ports slides on the metal rear of the case when opening/closing, clearly not straight). There's also a noticeable difference in space between the clear handles and the panel at the front and the rear of the case (however not many G4 MDD cases are perfectly aligned).

Has anyone had such 'problem' with a G4 case before? How did you solve it?
I would appreciate your feedback, since I don't want to ruin my case ('if it ain't totally broken, don't fix it' is my motto).

greetings,
Dries