PDA

View Full Version : Resell powerbook g4 and get a new mini?

qnb4
Mar 7, 2009, 11:03 AM
I have a 1.67ghz Powerbook G4 15" w/ 1.5gb ram. The battery life isn't that great. 40mins max. It's been roughly 3.5 years now. I brought one of those netbooks because the powerbook was getting to heavy to carry around all day.

So I'm currently using it as a desktop; it's hooked up to a 22" monitor, speakers, etc. I'm a grad student and mainly use the computer for internet browsing, email and word processing. I occasionally watch videos online. My powerbook sometimes has trouble rendering of videos (sometimes there's a lag and skipping). Also the wifi range isn't that great (compared to my netbook). Basically it's getting dated.

Would it be a smart move to buy the new mac mini (low end one) and then try to resell my powerbook? Around how much money could i get from the resell? Or should I wait until snow leopard comes out before buying the new mini? (I'm not really looking at the imac since I already have a monitor and having two would, for me, be an overkill.)

Will the mini suite my purposes? Is it's wifi range better? How upgradable is the mini's memory and could it be something I could do myself?

Floris1994
Mar 7, 2009, 08:06 PM
Do it... But the Mac mini is hard to upgrade from what I have heard.
The Mac mini will be a lot faster too and have better wifi range because of it's
802.11n opposed to your powerbooks 802.11g.