Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
here's an interesting problem... I have only one cable line coming into my room, which is currently being used for cable internet. I want to also get a tv signal with a tuner card I hope to purchase. (check the buyers guide section). how can I split the signal so that I can get both? (kinda important that I be able to use them at the same time) this booklet that came with my modem, (motorola surfboard) said that I can use a conventional cable converter, (the one you might see splitting the line where it comes into your house), and that there was one in the box, but there wasn't any in the box and the documentation for it is vague. id scan it if i had a scanner. anyways thx! :D

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Do this

Get a cable line splitter, 2 small cables hook up one cable to the cable modem the other to the tuner it will not bother the cable internet connection as it send in a very high frequency that the tuner can not detect.

You can even hook up a regular tv to it. Oh if you are getting premium channels then you need to use the cable's company supply converter box and set the tuner to channel 3 and use the remote of the converter to change the channels.

Hope this helps

cheers!!

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
you dont know how to splice a cable? heres what u do get a spliter available at hardware stoes radioshack wal mart etc take the cable screw into the input take two other cables put them in the other holes take the end of each one stick it in ur tv/modem

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
make sure your splitter is a two-way splitter otherwise it will be a dud i know since my house is a freak-en rats next of coaxial

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Don't get cheap cable either, you will get a better picture if you spend some money and by a spool of cable and some crimpers and do the job yourself. Don't buy the radioshack pre cut stuff because the picture sucks and the ends wont last as long. RJ-7 will give you a good signal.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
windowsbows, i know that u can get cable splitters. my question was if it would work with cable internet and tv. and I'm not tech savvy enough to crimp cables. probably just waste money on cable and then ruin it. already have coax cable anyway.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
switchedanhappy said:
windowsbows, i know that u can get cable splitters. my question was if it would work with cable internet and tv. and I'm not tech savvy enough to crimp cables. probably just waste money on cable and then ruin it. already have coax cable anyway.

Yes. The cable modem guys will tell you to minimize splitters, but I have three between the street and my cable modem, and I've had no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.