PDA

View Full Version : Switching To The Mac: The Real Story

MacBytes
Mar 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Switching To The Mac: The Real Story (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090307155810)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ppc_michael
Mar 7, 2009, 03:47 PM
So after what would appear to be no research, he didn't buy one, but two Macs? Boo hoo.

ditzy
Mar 7, 2009, 04:05 PM
So after what would appear to be no research, he didn't buy one, but two Macs? Boo hoo.

If you watch Apple ads it seems to suggest that that is possible. I chose to boot camp windows at the same time which I believe made the transition easier for me, but I also understand why a person wouldn't have made that choice.

weslobombs
Mar 7, 2009, 05:31 PM
The author could not have thought of a more inappropriate title for this article....

On top of the fact that it was entirely useless, he perpetuates the common falsehoods of "the switch" in a half-hearted way while trying to portray a neutral standpoint, which he obviously does not have.

He didn't even come close to proving his thesis that switching is not as easy as it is advertised. He has the gall to bitch about page up and page down buttons as a setback? Seriously?

Then he tries to slip in that comment about the price of Macs compared to PCs not being worth the switch... what a tired, debunked myth to cite. If he had cared to simply do his job even halfway and use the internet, it wouldn't be long before he would be forced to admit that Macs are MORE than competitively priced given their specs and the fact that OS X is a way better bargain that any Windows OS.

I was talking with a banker the other day, and he was going through the list of reward programs I could get on my debit card, and I asked him about the Apple store, yada yada, hey check out my command symbol tattoos, he talks about how he thinks Macs are cool but he just doesn't think he could switch and basically what it boiled down to was "yeah I was trying to help my brother acclimate to his new Macbook because he is tech illiterate and it took me 30 MINUTES TO FIGURE OUT THAT THE INTERNET WAS SAFARI!"

It's these types of hangups that I am sure the author of this article was ticked by, unfortunately for him though, that doesn't speak at all to how difficult it is to switch from PC to Mac, it just speaks to how much of a ****ing dumbass you are.

We have yet to see the be all, end all piece of writing that really sums up the true essence of being a Mac user and what it means to switch and why this whole war against Apple-fanboyism is a total farce and just a product of closet-PC fanboy's own insecurities.

I need some xanax.

adrianblaine
Mar 7, 2009, 05:50 PM
It's these types of hangups that I am sure the author of this article was ticked by, unfortunately for him though, that doesn't speak at all to how difficult it is to switch from PC to Mac, it just speaks to how much of a ****ing dumbass you are.

I agree. For a technology columnist he sounds extremely non-techie. He sounds as though he was annoyed that it took himself a long time to get used to it when it doesn't take others as long.

I also refuse to believe that he just couldn't get work done without using "outlook". Is it really that much a mission critical app? I guess since I'm working on my own right now I don't have to worry about what the office uses, but can't Address Book, iCal and Mail work together to do the functions of Outlook?

Tesselator
Mar 7, 2009, 06:05 PM
I agree. For a technology columnist he sounds extremely non-techie. He sounds as though he was annoyed that it took himself a long time to get used to it when it doesn't take others as long.

Yup, kinda lame. If it took him that much time and energy to get into OS X I would hate to hear him talk about what he went through to learn anything actually technically complex. LOL Maybe his wife wrote the article and he just added his name on. :p

I thought the stupidest and at the same time funniest, line in the article was:

"When you buy into Apple, you're buying into a promise, and the promise is undermined by bad apps."
After his wife couldn't get her blackberry to sync. Hehehehe...

PS MS OutLook is the pits! It's most of the reason there are viruses all over windows-land. :p

FX120
Mar 8, 2009, 03:05 AM
I also refuse to believe that he just couldn't get work done without using "outlook". Is it really that much a mission critical app? I guess since I'm working on my own right now I don't have to worry about what the office uses, but can't Address Book, iCal and Mail work together to do the functions of Outlook?

Outlook is very much a mission critical app for many people. Outlook is more than just an email client, especially when intergrated with Exchange, SharePoint server, and a WinMo or Blackberry mobile device.

PCMacUser
Mar 8, 2009, 03:50 AM
PS MS OutLook is the pits! It's most of the reason there are viruses all over windows-land. :p

Re: the viruses - it appears you may be confused with Outlook 'Express'. Outlook, as supplied with MS Office, is a superb piece of software. Very stable and secure. In a corporate environment, where Outlook is most commonly used, viruses are filtered at the server gateway with software such as MailMarshal.

I'm actually not sure why some people got upset by the article this thread relates to. The author loves his Mac.

I enjoy the Mac a great deal. The hardware is brilliant. It's not just thoughtfully-designed (except for the keyboard that’s missing key buttons), but beautiful to look it.
The platform is also robust: My Mac itself has yet to crash...
it goes into sleep mode and wakes up reliably...
The Mac is a lot more fun to use than a Windows PC...

lftrghtparadigm
Mar 8, 2009, 08:53 AM
The author could not have thought of a more inappropriate title for this article....

On top of the fact that it was entirely useless, he perpetuates the common falsehoods of "the switch" in a half-hearted way while trying to portray a neutral standpoint, which he obviously does not have.

He didn't even come close to proving his thesis that switching is not as easy as it is advertised. He has the gall to bitch about page up and page down buttons as a setback? Seriously?

Then he tries to slip in that comment about the price of Macs compared to PCs not being worth the switch... what a tired, debunked myth to cite. If he had cared to simply do his job even halfway and use the internet, it wouldn't be long before he would be forced to admit that Macs are MORE than competitively priced given their specs and the fact that OS X is a way better bargain that any Windows OS.

I was talking with a banker the other day, and he was going through the list of reward programs I could get on my debit card, and I asked him about the Apple store, yada yada, hey check out my command symbol tattoos, he talks about how he thinks Macs are cool but he just doesn't think he could switch and basically what it boiled down to was "yeah I was trying to help my brother acclimate to his new Macbook because he is tech illiterate and it took me 30 MINUTES TO FIGURE OUT THAT THE INTERNET WAS SAFARI!"

We have yet to see the be all, end all piece of writing that really sums up the true essence of being a Mac user and what it means to switch and why this whole war against Apple-fanboyism is a total farce and just a product of closet-PC fanboy's own insecurities.

I need some xanax.

great freakin post

hugothomsen
Mar 8, 2009, 07:31 PM

Actually, after switching a couple of years ago, the only thing I miss from my Windows days is Outlook - definately the best, most versatile and functionally best integrated mail / calendar / addressbook application on the market. I have tried a few, but there is still not anything on the market that does it quite so well as Outlook. This includes Entourage (which is awful).
If you know a good developer, please show him or her Outlook, and do the same for the Mac. Please ...

Paddrino
Mar 8, 2009, 10:18 PM
Well here is the deal. This is my first post although I have been reading this forum avidly for at least a good 3-4 months.

I am a technology professional, and I recently made the switch to mac. Here is my story.

I remember when I sold macs. I was an employee at Office Depot back in the late 90s and we had 2 models of macs in the store. I hated them. They never sold, and being a commission sales person I never bothered to try to convince people that the processor speeds were different than the Intel lines from the 30 or so other display Intel systems we sold. It was a waste of time to convince people that there was a real difference in the systems, and in my 3 years of working there we only sold 1 mac system that I know of.

Fast forward to 2000. I worked as a network administrator for a cable company that had just started offering high speed cable internet. At the time it was dial return only, but they were making system upgrades to allow for two way systems. We had a marketing manager in our office that loved mac systems, but all of our networks were the typical Intel / Microsoft variety. I worked on that system all the time, and to be honest it never worked properly until we finally replaced the system (and ultimately the employee as well) to an Intel system. My desktop publishing nightmares with that single mac were over, and I could concentrate on other issues that I felt worth my time.

I remember the day that the first macs with Intel processors were announced. I thought "humm... perhaps Apple will get out of this silly problem with compatibility and start to gain back some market share." Unfortunately for several years I had not even seen a mac system in a while, and that remained that way for a while until about 2 years ago. I never gave it a second thought.

I had begun to develop my long love / hate relationship with digital photography. I had begun playing with some new cameras recently and decided to devote some time to my hobby. I have had several good quality digital cameras over the course of a few years since my son was born (I wanted to start taking a bunch of pictures of him to capture the moments of his life like any good father would), and I wanted to increase my love of photography that I received from my father and his film days. Before my son was born I purchased a $600.00 digital camera with a whopping 5 mega pixels :).

I transfered jobs, and there were a few mac enthusiasts at my new job. A few months later an Apple store opened up at the mall a few miles down the road from my house, and my interest peaked. It was time to upgrade my computer systems, and since I am a computer professional who deals with networks all day long I upgrade my system every 1.2 - 2 years. I went into the Apple store and remember telling my wife "oh my God, these things are so totally overpriced. I can get the same specifications for LESS than 1/2 these prices... lets get out of here this is ridiculous."

Now keep in mind that in my career I have worked extensively on Windows, Linux, and Unix systems. I have always have had some form of dual boot on my systems to load Linux and windows since Slackware version 7. I always loved Linux and Unix for their simplicity and powerfully fast computing power, but I have always had problems running Linux on home systems. For the most part I would get fustrated when I needed something simple to just work. Every time I had everything exactly right, I would need some update to some simple library and it would trash 1 or 2 devices on my system. I would need x package which required an update to gcc etc. After updating to that gcc version / package my wireless drivers or some other driver would die. I would need to find the new version of that driver and update it. Video drivers would go crazy etc. etc. etc. (If you run Linux at home and have to update constantly for whatever reason you know what I'm talking about).

Regardless of all of this I decided to order a Dell laptop. I needed to upgrade and I ended up getting a dell that was configured similar to the low end macbook pro systems that had been recently refreshed at the time. (unibody had just came out). My new Dell came with vista, but I didn't really think I would have any serious problems. For the most part I didn't have any trouble until that fateful day when I started working with photoshop and lightroom.

I wanted to increase my knowledge in photography and in post processing my images. The best programs out there are obviously photoshop and lightroom (version 2 had just come out when I started wanting to work with it). After installing the programs on my system I noticed suddenly how terribly slow and sluggish my Dell performed. The develop modules in lightroom were so choppy they were completely unusable. Exporting images from raw formats to jpg took hours. Backing up my system was getting slower and slower by the day.

Thinking that my laptop had just been bogged down too much I decided to do a complete reload of vista. Things got much better for a few weeks and then they started going south again. I simply couldn't get anything done with my laptop any longer. I tried loading XP on the system, and things got much better. Everything got faster except my lightroom and photoshop experiences.

I remember thinking one night when I was waiting on some images to download / convert to dng / run some pre-configured develop script in lightroom that I was seriously spending more time working ON my computer than I was getting anything done. I was so busy trying this driver, that configuration, some other hardware hack that I simply wasn't actually doing anything with my system. All of the software I had painstakingly purchased and installed because I wanted to USE it were in reality not getting used at all. I was spending time tweaking the system to run them adequately that I was spending 45 minutes of every hour on getting my system to work adequately for me to do real work.

I remember the last straw was when I attempted to change video card drivers in vista. I downloaded the latest drivers and installed them. After rebooting my external display started flickering 100 times for every program I attempted to run. I said "crap" and reverted to the older driver, but that only gave me the slow performance I had when I decided to upgrade the driver in the first place. After a few days of lower performance I finally started receiving blue screen after blue screen. After seeing the memory dump screen for the 3rd time in 24 hours I did another complete reload.

I decided to take another look at Apple. A few days after the last reload I went down to the Apple store again and decided to actually try out the programs on the Macbook pro. One of the systems had photoshop cs3 installed. I clicked on it, and thought there was some problem or trick with the system. It only took like 3 seconds to load. I was like... wth? my system takes 3 seconds to see the damn loading image. I started to play with some jpg image on the system somewhere, and I found that I could create layers and edit the photos in a few seconds that took me 3 or 4 times as long on my dell at home. I tried to see how fast I could make multiple layers, and a few seconds and over 50 copies of the background image later, I knew that I had to get one of these systems. That was this last November.

Since money was tight with the family (I was in the middle of refinancing my home and my wife and I had just seen the birth of our daughter in October) I had to wait. In the last 3 months I have been reading everything I could find about switching to a mac. I have read just about every article and seen just about every youtube video with the words "macbook" in it. I read all of the pages in Scott Kelby's "killer tips" book. I was completely prepared for the changes from windows to mac.

I purchased my new mid range macbook pro (2.5 / 4gb / 350gb) from macmall on Feb. 13th (Friday the 13th haha). I received it Monday the 16th, and I can honestly say that I have purchased the best computer system I have ever purchased in my lifetime. I have built every system I have had by hand since my first 486 except for the Dell I purchased about a year ago, and I have never ever EVER had as much an enjoyable experience with a computer system than I have had with this mac book pro. I have never actually used as much software on a system in my life. I have put more data on this system for actual work I have done than probably any system I have ever owned. I spend hardly no time tweaking things to make it look like I want them because most of the interfaces are exactly how I would have customized them to begin with. I feel like I am working on an operating system that has thought of every detail and has maximized the efficiency of every driver and hardware specification so I don't have to. I can finally work on the system instead of working ON the system.

I know it sounds silly. I know it sounds like I am a religious zealot of the mac religion, but I can't honestly explain this any other way. This system just WORKS. Can you find lower priced hardware? Of course you can. Will it work better for you? More than likely no.

I don't want to make this sound like an emotional comment, but I know it sounds that way. I have installed every microsoft operating system since helping my dad install DOS 6.2 on my 486sx. I have ran and managed at least 100 different distributions of Linux and Unix in enterprise, ISP, and home use. I have hand built and upgraded every system since my first 486/dx/100 until the Dell laptop I purchased last year, and I can honestly say that I have never actually ENJOYED any of them. I ENJOY this macbook pro. There simply isn't any way to describe it.

The only probes I have had with this system are 2 thus far. I had a problem with time machine about 3 days ago. It was really my own fault. I unplugged my external HD because I was in a hurry one day and forgot to dismount the darn thing. It took me a whole 30 minutes to figure out with a quick online search of a similar problem. The other problem I have had is installing new packages I use for some perl modules. Specifically those dealing with rrdtool. I have since gotten them to work by using fink which I haven't gotten completely used to yet.

Thank you Apple. You may have a long way to go before you gain any significant market share, but you have definitely won over this long time computer user.

jodelli
Mar 9, 2009, 01:06 AM
The author of "Switching To The Mac: The Real Story" describes an experience that in essence was simply getting used to a different way of doing things.

It is even more difficult in the reverse direction. Trust me on this. I remember what a kluge Windows 3 seemed to be after a few years of using a GEM GUI. Macs were easy after GEM, one being a CPM derivative of the other.

Also remembering the frustration of setting up a small business computer with the brand new (at the time) XP OS and no apps installed. Many add ons, driver installs and updates later it more or less worked.

Nermal
Mar 9, 2009, 01:11 AM
It is even more difficult in the reverse direction. Trust me on this. I remember what a kluge Windows 3 seemed to be after a few years of using a GEM GUI.

I remember going from GEM to Windows 3 too. So similar yet so different.

pdxflint
Mar 9, 2009, 05:00 AM
Well here is the deal. This is my first post although I have been reading this forum avidly for at least a good 3-4 months.

I am a technology professional, and I recently made the switch to mac. Here is my story.

Great story. You managed to nail it about as objectively as possible... and it's a valuable read for anyone considering making the switch to Mac. You managed to explain in real terms what the benefits and possible reasons someone might want to think about without getting into the politics of the whole thing. I appreciate you sharing this. Would you mind if I shared/linked your story with people I know who are on the fence?

Paddrino
Mar 9, 2009, 06:32 AM
Would you mind if I shared/linked your story with people I know who are on the fence?

No problem at all.

Paddrino
Mar 9, 2009, 06:45 AM
It is even more difficult in the reverse direction. Trust me on this. I remember what a kluge Windows 3 seemed to be after a few years of using a GEM GUI. Macs were easy after GEM, one being a CPM derivative of the other.

The only prior apple experience I had other than the few described was my dad's Apple ][e which he ran a BBS on back in the mid / late 80s. I remember he loved the Apple systems, but when the business world moved more towards the PC market because of IBM at the time he had to switch.

Tesselator
Mar 9, 2009, 07:20 AM
Re: the viruses - it appears you may be confused with Outlook 'Express'. Outlook, as supplied with MS Office, is a superb piece of software. Very stable and secure. In a corporate environment, where Outlook is most commonly used, viruses are filtered at the server gateway with software such as MailMarshal.

I'm actually not sure why some people got upset by the article this thread relates to. The author loves his Mac.

Ah, yes. You're right. I was confusing the two. Thanks man!

BTW, I think the reactions here are because people could smell the BS. Not so much the authors actual opinions. It would be like someone claiming to a top IT analyst and SE and then say he selected his own personal system based on the color of the box. See what I mean? Kinda sends up the tard flag if you know what I mean. :D

BongoBanger
Mar 9, 2009, 09:16 AM

Your story is interesting as a counterpoint to the original article and demonstrates how switching to a Mac works well for some and not for others.

I think people need to try out the combinations until they find the one that works best for their individual needs.

iPhoneNYC
Mar 9, 2009, 09:31 AM
As much as I'd be the firt to make fun of the writer, I remind myself of the times I'm forced to use a PC in some hotel business lounge. I'm hopeless. It's takes me 15 minutes to adjust to the damn thing. So I guess I have a little sympathy for the guy. And, in the end, he seems to have the added joys of Mac-ness.

pilotError
Mar 9, 2009, 11:43 AM
It took me about 3 months to acclimate myself to the Mac. In that time, I was frustrated, because of the little things. Things that you have to unlearn from your PC days and go with the flow. Especially regarding the Finder vs. Explorer.

I love my Macs now, but I can definitely see where the author had his issues. If you'll notice, he ends the article with a more positive outlook. I'm sure once he gives it time, his attitude will change.

My sister is going through the same thing right now. Every time she gets to the boiling point, I show her a better way. She's starting to get it now. A few more months and we'll have another convert! LOL

As for Value, I have the White early 2006 iMac that runs as good as the day I bought it. That to me is value. Constantly fighting the Windows Creep (slowing down for no good reason), is a game I'd rather not play anymore.

Shoesy
Mar 9, 2009, 12:37 PM
Of all the switches I find hardest to make its copy / paste shortcuts.

I use p.c. all day long at work with a mac keyboard plugged into it, and a combination of mac os x netbook and a straight imac at home. I really never know which button combination is gonna do a copy or paste for me!

I'm quite happy to use many differing oses though, and find linux the most infuriating, as the switcher with the huge post up there said, as try as hard as it can to automatically update itself, the bubbles of incompatibility just keep popping up in different parts of the wallpaper.

Firefox seems to be bad at this too (not an os I know) everytime you update it, some other addition to it stops working- at least it seems to know its gonna happen for the most part.

I guess the moral to this story could be to stay with a vanilla install and don't go against the grain.

Roll on 1984:apple:.

Kilamite
Mar 9, 2009, 12:55 PM
If one of my mates, who is useless with computers, learned the Mac way in less than a week, then this columnist is a numpty!

Though I guess Apple could just have a simple A4 page that comes in the box listing:

Save = CMD+S
Copy = CMD+C
Paste = CMD+V
Switch Between Apps = CMD+TAB
Switch Between App Windows = CMD+`
Delete = Fn + Backspace
Page Up = CMD+Up
Page Down = CMD+Down
End = CMD+Right
Home = CMD+Left

Etc...

I do agree that I forget it took me a while to get the "Mac" way, but he makes it sound really hard. It isn't - once you get used to the new keyboard shortcuts, which most of are just using CMD instead of CTRL, you are on your way.

PCMacUser
Mar 10, 2009, 12:42 AM
I'm not a Mac lover or a PC lover. I just like technology and things that work (and sometimes things that don't).

So I have both a PC, which runs multiple OS's, and also a Mac. When I first bought my Mac, I wanted to transfer things like my Outlook PST file to the Apple platform, which was quite a hassle. Therefore I can relate to many of the issues that the article writer had when he moved his digital life over to OSX.

These days I'm happily bi... platform, that is. I don't see why people get all worked up over Macs being better than PCs or PCs being better than Macs. They both work just fine for me. I can't even say that one is easier to use than the other - they both have their good and bad points. Even my wife has absolutely no difficulty using either machine.

FX120
Mar 10, 2009, 02:26 AM
I'm not a Mac lover or a PC lover. I just like technology and things that work (and sometimes things that don't).

So I have both a PC, which runs multiple OS's, and also a Mac. When I first bought my Mac, I wanted to transfer things like my Outlook PST file to the Apple platform, which was quite a hassle. Therefore I can relate to many of the issues that the article writer had when he moved his digital life over to OSX.

These days I'm happily bi... platform, that is. I don't see why people get all worked up over Macs being better than PCs or PCs being better than Macs. They both work just fine for me. I can't even say that one is easier to use than the other - they both have their good and bad points. Even my wife has absolutely no difficulty using either machine.

+1

Why compromise with either OS, when you can enjoy the benefits of both.

jodelli
Mar 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
+1

Why compromise with either OS, when you can enjoy the benefits of both.

Exactly. The Mac is a beautifully integrated blend of software and hardware. iLife is a special favorite of mine.
If I want to I can put together a box to screw around with, changing configurations and throwing Ubuntu or BSD on it.
If in need of certain software or to talk someone through a troubleshoot I can use Windows, or take Windows 7 out for a test run, which I've been doing.

vs is a zero sum game that I'm not willing to play.

Ubuntu
Mar 10, 2009, 10:33 PM

I need some xanax.

Right, ignoring the first half of your post, as its essentially just you being pedantic, I first would second the suggestion of getting some xanax and calming down. It is actually quite scary.

Things like the Page Up/Down button not being there, are technically setbacks, maybe not to you and myself, but to him, most definitely. Its his experience, after all.

If you asked me about the value of Macs two years ago, when I purchased this macbook, I'd have said that they were fantastic value. My macbook cost me a bit more than the PC equivalent but the OS was worth it.

But today, even with student/employee discount, the 15 inch macbook pro I want is too much. My friend purchased a laptop for uni, with the same specs (except for a 17 inch screen), for about 500, and to match those specs on the MBP, it would cost at least 1500. Now that is crazy.

So I thought I would hold out for the desktop upgrades, but the prices are even worse for them, now. I was looking at the iMac, but if I wasn't so obsessed with style over functionality, I could simply buy a computer with a Core quad for a lot less. This is why I'm seriously considering switching back. My macbook is getting outdated, and I would rather cling onto this than buy a Vista machine, but its essentially struggling to keep up with the demands I make.

Your second-to-last paragraph amused me, it just sounded like what a mac fanboy would say, in all respect. There is not this 'war', well, not to everyone, at least. Some people wouldn't care about the Mac experience - they just prefer how macs work. There's a reason I still have my Windows XP computer in my room.