PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail POP3 access now available

MacBytes
Mar 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Hotmail POP3 access now available (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090307155828)
Description:: Access your hotmail / live mail account on your iPhone

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

sn00pie
Mar 7, 2009, 03:10 PM
It's been available for quite some time now.

Saladinos
Mar 7, 2009, 03:15 PM
Party like you haven't already switched to Gmail!

bobsentell
Mar 7, 2009, 03:39 PM
you know, for a Mac news site, MacBytes sure does put out a lot of stories about Microsoft

Nermal
Mar 7, 2009, 03:40 PM
What's with the geographic restrictions? I don't use Hotmail so it doesn't affect me, but still boggles my mind :confused:

djdjek
Mar 7, 2009, 04:07 PM
hi! just wanna ask if anyone has the problem...
i can receive my mail but when i want to send an mail, i cannot send no mail at all...does anyone know where the problem is coming from???

Kilamite
Mar 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
you know, for a Mac news site, MacBytes sure does put out a lot of stories about Microsoft

Believe or not, Microsoft is the largest software company, and do have an impact on Macs. Microsoft Office, Messenger:Mac to name a couple. When there is an update to those that affects Macs, then it is news.

There isn't that many stories about Microsoft anyway..

neonblue2
Mar 7, 2009, 04:19 PM
I wish someone told me about his earlier. I've been using MacFreePOPs with Mail.app and so I don't always check my Hotmail.

elppa
Mar 7, 2009, 05:34 PM
What decade are they getting IMAP?

People take the mick out of MobileMe, but iTools, .Mac and MobileMe email has always been IMAP, right from the start in 2000.

Compile 'em all
Mar 7, 2009, 05:37 PM
Welcome to 1999.

Tilpots
Mar 7, 2009, 05:46 PM
So does this mean I can use it with Mail and have it sync, like when I delete an email in Mail, it will be deleted when I log onto hotmail?

spikedscott
Mar 7, 2009, 06:11 PM
I switched from my hotmail account to Gmail about 6 months ago, two weeks after i got my iPhone. Still, much prefer Gmail anyway :)

slicecom
Mar 7, 2009, 07:49 PM
I left hotmail for gmail when I got my iPhone and there's no way I'm going back.

PurrBall
Mar 7, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hotmail has to be the worst e-mail service out there. Gmail trumps it, especially with Push Exchange for calendar and contacts and hopefully for mail soon.

friekunater
Mar 7, 2009, 07:55 PM
Party like you haven't already switched to Gmail!

ha! i actually did that exact same thing!

plus, i just set up the hotmail on my iPod touch and i don't think it's exchange so all emails are marked as unread and i can't figure out how to download more than fifty emails at a time.

Compile 'em all
Mar 7, 2009, 07:56 PM
So does this mean I can use it with Mail and have it sync, like when I delete an email in Mail, it will be deleted when I log onto hotmail?

Yep, but it won't sync status. So if you read a mail on ur desktop and it is till on the server it will be still marked as unread. That would be IMAP...aka wait for 2012.

friekunater
Mar 7, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hotmail has to be the worst e-mail service out there. Gmail trumps it, especially with Push Exchange for calendar and contacts and hopefully for mail soon.

they DO have push available for mail. i have it working on my iPod touch all the time, but i guess it doesn't work for all people. seems to work great for me though

elppa
Mar 8, 2009, 05:10 AM

If you want "luxuries" like this, then you need to either get GMail (free) or MobileMe (paid).

OrganMusic
Mar 8, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yes hotmail is certainly terrible, but I've had my account since around 1997 when it was about the only choice.

Palliser
Mar 8, 2009, 09:25 AM
I used hotmail circa 1998... is it even still around? I left them years ago.

OrganMusic
Mar 8, 2009, 09:34 AM
Yes hotmail is certainly terrible, but I've had my account since around 1997 when it was about the only choice.

I don't use it very often but when I need to submit an email address for a website I'm pretty sure is going to spam me I use that one.

Tilpots
Mar 8, 2009, 11:32 AM
Yep, but it won't sync status. So if you read a mail on ur desktop and it is till on the server it will be still marked as unread. That would be IMAP...aka wait for 2012.

If you want "luxuries" like this, then you need to either get GMail (free) or MobileMe (paid).

Thanks. I use hotmail for junk, and I got a gmail account for everything else. Just wanted to see if this could make it easier to see and clear the spam.:)

bobsentell
Mar 8, 2009, 11:49 AM
I boycott everything Google. Never used Hotmail either. I used to use Yahoo, but I don't anymore. I figure you get what you pay for in e-mail services...and these three are all free.

uicandrew
Mar 8, 2009, 12:49 PM
I boycott everything Google. Never used Hotmail either. I used to use Yahoo, but I don't anymore. I figure you get what you pay for in e-mail services...and these three are all free.

is there a reason why you boycott google? i'm just curious.

what email service do you use? i can't think of a "paid" email service except for the "secure/encrypted" types

rockosmodurnlif
Mar 8, 2009, 07:59 PM
Yes! Awesome. My college uses live mail for it's official mail, now it wil be checked along with my other email addresses instead of when I remember.

chagla
Mar 8, 2009, 08:41 PM
yay! let google scan through my emails and show me ads!
that's really great!

hushmail.com

ingenious
Mar 8, 2009, 09:45 PM
they DO have push available for mail. i have it working on my iPod touch all the time, but i guess it doesn't work for all people. seems to work great for me though

Push is only available for MobileMe accounts.

LEStudios
Mar 9, 2009, 03:43 PM
What's with the geographic restrictions? I don't use Hotmail so it doesn't affect me, but still boggles my mind :confused:

I dropped MSN and got MobileMe! MSN was a waste of money for 8 years! :D

coolfactor
Mar 9, 2009, 03:52 PM

Yes, I'm curious why you boycott Google. I currently use Google (Hosted Apps) as my primary email hosting for all of my accounts, as well as my clients. The service has been exceptional.

As for Live.com just getting POP3 now... wow, that's late to the party. I personally believe Outlook is the biggest reason that most computer users still use POP3... the interface is just too confusing for most to learn anything new. IMAP is the way to go. Wake up Microsoft!

scott523
Mar 10, 2009, 01:54 AM
The moment I heard about Hotmail having POP3 access, I started migrating every archived mail into my 1+ year old GMail dormant account. Been waiting for this to happen and it finally it did. Now it's gonna take a while to migrate completely as there's still some sites that I might not know about that still sends it to Hotmail so I'll have to link Hotmail to GMail.

w8ing4intelmacs
Mar 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm waiting for Juno to be available for the iPhone.

Meltdown
Mar 10, 2009, 02:22 PM
Didn't really know where to post this, figured here's as good as anywhere. I've followed the instructions but they don't seem to be working:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8594/picture1s.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1s.jpg)

And in the settings it's set as UK (seeing as that's where I'm from...)

Cheers

Pathetique
Mar 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
Push is only available for MobileMe accounts.

And Yahoo! accounts.

ingenious
Mar 10, 2009, 10:46 PM
And Yahoo! accounts.

But that's on the iPhone/iPod touch. My comment was in reference to Mail.app.

grayskies
Mar 11, 2009, 07:18 AM
Yes! Awesome. My college uses live mail for it's official mail, now it wil be checked along with my other email addresses instead of when I remember.

The VCCS switched to Gmail, along with other google apps.

ODU switched to Gmail, also.

I don't know if you can get your school e-mails by the iPhone.

g.montana
Mar 11, 2009, 07:36 AM
i want to find a messenger with videocall and webcam because messenger 7.02 do not have