PDA

View Full Version : If anyone knows about imac g3's, please help!

likemyorbs
Mar 7, 2009, 06:10 PM
i have os x tiger installed on my imac g3. im sure this thing originally came with os 9 and i want to get os 9 back onto it. i have a bootable os 9 disk but it wont boot from it. i think this is because the firmware has been updated for os x, this thing wont recognize anything os 9, os x disks boot fine. how can i fix this? i cant even get classic mode to work right...but if i could i would just format the HD and put os 9 on it...

likemyorbs
Mar 7, 2009, 07:37 PM
pleeeease anyone?

PurrBall
Mar 7, 2009, 07:53 PM
Can you select the CD in the Startup Disk preference pane in OS X and press Reboot?

DewGuy1999
Mar 7, 2009, 08:10 PM
According to everymac.com the 500 Mhz iMacs shipped with a minimum of OS 9.1, some models with later versions. It won't boot with a OS version older than what it shipped with, but it should boot with an equal or newer version.

likemyorbs
Mar 7, 2009, 08:24 PM
Can you select the CD in the Startup Disk preference pane in OS X and press Reboot?

i can select it, but then when it reboots it just starts up in OS X and wont boot it.

likemyorbs
Mar 7, 2009, 08:24 PM
According to everymac.com the 500 Mhz iMacs shipped with a minimum of OS 9.1, some models with later versions. It won't boot with a OS version older than what it shipped with, but it should boot with an equal or newer version.

the disk i have is 9.1

DewGuy1999
Mar 7, 2009, 08:42 PM
It's possible it requires something later than 9.1.