Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Two military personnel have been shot dead during a gun attack at an Army base in County Antrim, police said.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland said two further military personnel and two civilians, all believed to be male, were were in a serious condition.

The incident took place at the Massereene Army base in Antrim, 16 miles north of Belfast, at 2140 GMT.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence described the shooting as a "drive-by" attack.

'Loud bangs'

The four injured men have all been taken to Antrim Area Hospital, about a mile away from the scene.

It is believed that there were two long busts of gunfire during the incident.

A major security operation is under way and the area surrounding the barracks, which is home to 38 Engineering Regiment, has been sealed off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7930837.stm

Perhaps yesterday's announcement that the British Army was once again involved - if it ever wasn't? - in Intelligence gathering in Northern Ireland was not a wise one.

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
They're in a military base, wouldn't they just shoot back with bigger guns? Or give chase with tanks?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
It's never easy being an occupying power.

I imagine the shootings and bombs are some sort of subtle message from the local natives, but I haven't a clue what they could possibly mean.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Mr Lax & Tomato.
I'd like to just remind you that two British serviceman have been killed and two innocent (likely young) civilians were seriously injured.

I'm all for laughing at the funny stories, this is not one.

We're losing enough lads in Iraq & Afghanistan backing the americans up in their oil thirsty crusade.
Probably (like the wars in asia we're fighting) a good proportion the weapons are from the USA.

I'm not anti-war and love America but I think your attitudes stink.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Mr Raymond, I appreciate your concern for the squaddie on the ground. It's them what takes the **** in the neck.

My sarcasm was aimed at the commanding officers and top politicans of all nations who for reasons of their own, love sending their armies again and again into places like North Ireland, Chechenya, Afghanistan, etc.

'This time, it'll be different!' - Haig before the Battle of Passchendaele, 1917.

Result: 500,000 British casualties in 4 months. This was a year after the similar Battle of the Somme, which Haig also commanded, and had lost 400,000 British casualties.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
'Real IRA was behind army attack'

A Dublin-based newspaper has received a call supposedly from the Real IRA which claimed responsibility for the attack at Massereene army base.

Using a recognised codename, it claimed responsibility for the attack in which two soldiers were killed.

The dead men, both in their early 20s were due to fly to Afghanistan in the coming days.

Flowers have been laid at the scene and a vigil was held nearby on Sunday.

The Real IRA was born out of a split in the mainstream Provisional IRA in October 1997, when the IRA's so-called quartermaster-general resigned over Sinn Fein's direction in the peace process.

It carried out the worst single atrocity of over 30 years of violence in Northern Ireland when it bombed the County Tyrone town of Omagh, killing 29 people, in August 1998.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7930995.stm

Listening to a news report earlier, it said that the Real IRA lacks the comparable funding, weapons and, most importantly, support of the now disbanded Provisional IRA. So hopefully their apparent aim of restarting the War will be unsuccessful.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
Mr Raymond, I appreciate your concern for the squaddie on the ground. It's them what takes the **** in the neck.

My sarcasm was aimed at the commanding officers and top politicans of all nations who for reasons of their own, love sending their armies again and again into places like North Ireland, Chechenya, Afghanistan, etc.

'This time, it'll be different!' - Haig before the Battle of Passchendaele, 1917.

Northern Ireland does not even remotely fall into the category of countries like Afghanistan or Chechnya. I'm sure the British Gov would love to get the f out of N. Ireland, but it's been bollocksed up so badly for the last several hundred years they're in it for the long haul.

Not to excuse this heinous crime. All I can hope is that it does nothing to derail the peace process. None of us want to return to those days.

I imagine the shootings and bombs are some sort of subtle message from the local natives, but I haven't a clue what they could possibly mean.

Stop being so glib. Not a laughing matter.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Looks like the Real IRA are comparatively small in terms of material and popular support - so while this is a terrible tragedy, I'm hoping they are capable of nothing worse...

Perhaps a more interesting question is why did they choose to attack now?

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Perhaps a more interesting question is why did they choose to attack now?

It's a total guess, but I'd imagine that this (reported in The Times the day before the attack) may have been seen as enough of an incitement/cause?

Row breaks out over return of Army to fight splinter IRA terrorists

The return of army Special Forces soldiers to Northern Ireland escalated into a major row today when Martin McGuinness called the decision "stupid and dangerous".

Mr McGuinness, a former commander of the Provisional IRA, was reacting angrily to news that the Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR), which shares headquarters with the SAS, was in Northern Ireland as part of the security response to the rising threat from so-called dissident republican terrorists.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom

Whether they like it or not, the 'local natives' are part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and so aren't subject to any 'occupying power'. It's not like the British Army in, say, Iraq. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, so it's hardly occupied!

Just to clarify...

Whether the news was leaked some days prior or not, I think it may well have taken more than 36 hours to plan the attack. Who knows. Let's hope the condemnation is enough to persuade them to crawl back into their cowardly holes.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Perhaps the "rising threat" was the Real IRA in the first place?

True - that article makes it look like straightforward escalation; both sides reacting to the other side building up.

This attack seems to have angered people more than previous such attacks, given it happened so much out of the blue. You could understand (without condoning) previous attacks where people had lost friends and/or family and wanted revenge, but this is just 'someone must die for my political views'.

Good to see the condemnation is pretty much universal.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Whether they like it or not, the 'local natives' are part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

That's a very colonial statement. You'd upset a lot of people in Ireland if you said that. From about 1800 to about 1920, Ireland (the whole island) was part of the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland'. A single state, with a single government. Naturally they didn't like it much.

I think some of you here fail to understand just how offensive the British have been to the Irish. Not just in old history, but carrying on through recent years.

Up to a few years ago, pubs in East London used to carry signs saying 'No dogs or Irish'.

Anyway, back on thread, just to make it clear, I am also with the poster above and everyone in this thread in condemning these shootings at a time when highly significant political progress is being made.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England

Result: 500,000 British casualties in 4 months. This was a year after the similar Battle of the Somme, which Haig also commanded, and had lost 400,000 British casualties.

How can you consider Northern Ireland in any way the same as Afghanistan?
Northern Ireland is (whether you like it or not) a part of the United Kingdom and has been under attack from terrorists (as have other parts of the UK)

I have no problem in giving Northern Ireland to the Southern Irish personally but I believe if there are people in Northern Ireland who wish to remain a part of the United Kingdom then they, just as the residents of the Falkland Isles deserve the full might of the British Army to protect them.

Those gunmen aren't republicans, freedom fighters or even terrorists.
They are quite simply criminals who have committed murder, that's why I took objection to your seemingly jovial comments.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
I have no problem in giving Northern Ireland to the Southern Irish personally but I believe if there are people in Northern Ireland who wish to remain a part of the United Kingdom then they, just as the residents of the Falkland Isles deserve the full might of the British Army to protect them.

Those gunmen aren't republicans, freedom fighters or even terrorists.
They are quite simply criminals who have committed murder, that's why I took objection to your seemingly jovial comments.

As to your first point, what about the other half of the people who don't wish to remain part of a different country? Do they deserve the full might of an army behind them?

Agree 100% with your second point though.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Continuity IRA 'killed officer'

Dissident republicans, the Continuity IRA, have claimed they murdered a policeman in Northern Ireland.

He was Constable Stephen Paul Carroll, 48, a married man with children from the Banbridge area of County Down.

He died just 48 hours after two soldiers were shot dead by the Real IRA at an army base in Antrim.

The Press Association reported that the dissident group was behind Monday night's shooting at Lismore Manor, Craigavon, County Armagh.

The shooting happened at about 2145 GMT as police were responding to a call from a woman for help.

Constable Carroll was shot as he got out of a police car. He died later from his injuries.

The Continuity IRA is one of a number of dissident republican paramilitary groups opposed to the peace process which have carried out bomb and gun attacks on civilians and the security forces.

There is believed to be cross-over and co-operation between the Continuity IRA and the larger Real IRA, which bombed Omagh in 1998 killing 29 people and injuring hundreds more.

This is the first murder of a police officer in NI since 1998. Constable Frank O'Reilly was killed by a loyalist blast bomb during disturbances linked to the Drumcree dispute in 1998.

The last police officers murdered by republicans, RUC constables Roland John Graham and David Andrew Johnston, were shot dead by the IRA in Lurgan, County Armagh in June 1997.

Constable Carroll was the first PSNI officer to have been murdered by paramilitaries since the force was formed in 2001.

Dissident republicans tried to kill two PSNI officers in shootings in Derry and Dungannon in November 2007.

They have also been linked to a booby trap bomb which exploded under a police officer's car in Spamount, County Tyrone in May 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7934426.stm

EDIT:

Soldier saved life of pizza boy by shielding him from hail of bullets

A soldier saved the life of the 19-year-old pizza delivery boy wounded in the Massereene Barracks shooting by leaping on top of him as Real IRA gunmen opened fire.

Domino’s driver Anthony Watson, who lives close to the barracks in Antrim town, has reportedly told friends an unarmed soldier shielded him from the hail of bullets, which claimed two lives.

Mr Watson said: “The soldiers shouted for us to ’get down’ before I even knew what was happening.

“Then one of the soldiers just threw himself on top of me as the bullets were still firing.”

One of the gunmen then walked over and shot the soldier and fired three bullets into Anthony. Police said he was in a comfortable condition at the Antrim Area Hospital last night.

However, his 32-year-old Polish colleague, who is believed to have sustained gunshot wounds to his chest and abdomen, was still in a serious condition at the same hospital.

The two other surviving victims, both soldiers, were said to be stable and comfortable at the Ulster Hospital in Belfast.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ielding-him-from-hail-of-bullets-1641407.html

Extraordinary bravery.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
I doubt it was anything to do with any part of any IRA . Civilians are not usually the target of the paramilitaries with this type of thing. Did the pizza order come from the base ?

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
I doubt it was anything to do with any part of any IRA . Civilians are not usually the target of the paramilitaries with this type of thing. Did the pizza order come from the base ?

The pizzas were ordered for a party the soldiers were having before they left for a tour in Afghanistan (the regiment flew out a few hours after the shooting). The pizza delivery men were shot for being "collaborators".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.