Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dscw133

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Taped some stuff this week on 2 brand-new mini-dv tapes, in LP mode. Playback on camcorder was perfectly fine--until I plugged camera into my computer, and attempted to upload to IMovie. Suddenly, I have video frame drop-out all around the edges of my picture, and some audio drop-out, as well; this happened on both tapes--played fine, until the computer connection, then all bad. The dropout appears to be on the tape itself, because I now see it even when not plugged into my computer. Have played tapes back on 2 different camcorders, dropout's still there. Can't upload to IMovie--reads every dropout as a tape stop, so just imports in 1-second segments.

Anyone ever heard of anything this wacky, and, furthermore, do they have any idea how to fix? I have heard LP mode can cause drop-out, and once it's there, it's impossible to fix--but the tapes were fine before connecting to IMovie! Frankly, I'm miffed, and would appreciate any help whatsoever. Thanks!

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
It would be physically impossible for the computer to cause drop outs on the tape when it is in play mode. More likely is that there were drop out on the tapes when recorded that you didn't see the first time, or that the tape is defective and some of the magnetic particles flaked off during or after that first playback.

If this is the first time you used that brand or type of tape in your camcorder, or if you used another brand between the time you recorded those tapes and the time you played them back or between the time you played the tapes back without computer connection and the time you played back while connected, that can also be a cause of dropouts.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.