Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I normally would have jumped at it, but I just bought one of those netbooks and I'm trying to hackintosh it to run Mac OS X Leopard.

It was the Unibody MB 2.4 for $1599 250GB HDD, so it would have been a steal at BestBuy; they offered their BB warranty at half-price as well...:eek:

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
yeah we just got the wife a black macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb, 250gb hard drive etc as an open box from bestbuy. $800 as well. Just got the warranty reset by apple the other day. sweet machine and sweet discount.

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
yeah we just got the wife a black macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb, 250gb hard drive etc as an open box from bestbuy. $800 as well. Just got the warranty reset by apple the other day. sweet machine and sweet discount.

How? Are these on the sales floor? Or do you have to ask?

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
Ask the Computer Supervisor or even the Sales floor lead. Those guys hook you up real good if your nice to them. Open box stuff is quite easy to get a discount on, especially if you want their extended-coverage plans.

I absolutely love shopping at Best Buy for all my Mac stuff, it's just you can't really buy them with any options that are available on the Apple store (like the 1TB option on the new iMacs) :(

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Agreed, BB is not known for discounting open boxed stuff esp high end things like Macs.

Actually, not true. They do it pretty often, but I've never seen one that high. Anytime specs are bumped, they discount the floor models pretty well and they sell any returns at a decent discount- doesn't matter if it's a cheap PC or a MBP, they want to move it. I see it at my local BB more often than I would expect. I doubt that the Ann Arbor BB is the exception to the rule.

And I'm typing this on my Bluetooth Apple Keyboard that was returned to BB that I bought for $65 as well as the wireless mighty mouse for $52.

So, I've seen some deep discounts at Best Buy for display or open box returns, but never anything like $800 for a $1599 computer!

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
Agreed, BB is not known for discounting open boxed stuff esp high end things like Macs.
I do agree that it is suspicious to see a unibody Macbook being sold for $800. I've seen the old Macbook Pro models go for $1099 and that is the price for a display unit...I'd rather just buy brand new.

I believe they only discount like 5% off open boxes, but you can get a decent deal off if you want PSP coverage. I've got a few friends who work there.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Half price on something worth 1600$ ? That is one major discount for a current product, just because the box is "open".

Why was it returned and why does it warrant such a high discount ? Something is not right.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Half price on something worth 1600$ ? That is one major discount for a current product, just because the box is "open".

Why was it returned and why does it warrant such a high discount ? Something is not right.

If something is not right, then you can get a refund. Before you buy open box, you inspect the item for any physical damage and I'm sure if you took it into an Apple Store and asked if they could open it up and take a look at it they would (check for spills, etc.). You have 15 days to return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.