Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Hello.

I just have installed 4 GB of RAM to my new MacBook. But what I have noticed is that it seems to need a very long time to go into standby when the lid is closed. Sometimes it takes even longer than 1 minute. That is quite annoying, especially when you're in a hurry.

Is there a way to reduce the time? Maybe the Macbook is doing suspend to disk instead of suspend to ram and that's the reason why it takes so long?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Modern Macs do something called a Smartsleep by default when they sleep. That means they write all memory to a sleep file before actually sleeping. The more memory you have the longer it takes. Also some programs are not sleep friendly and can slow or prevent sleeping. If sleeping sometimes take a lot longer its likely a program so keep an eye out on what you are running. If it always take a long time it may just be the smartsleep.

There is a free preference pane called Smart Sleep that you can get at:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26979/smartsleep

With it you can recover 4gb of disk space (however much RAM you have) and sleep much faster (because no memory is written to disk). The caveat is you have to be careful then not to run out of battery power while sleeping or any unsaved changes could be lost.

You can even set it up so you get a fast sleep til the battery is down to a specific percentage then it will wake and does a smart sleep.

Hope this helps

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Thanks. I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.